Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Patch 3.0 New Features Video

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i'll wait for version 15.0 first cuz

Prime Junta

I was going to snark about story mode also but then I remembered what cRPG stories are usually like

Prime Junta

yeah they are usually better than poe's

haughty.png

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Really looking forward to this! Tried several times to beat the game, always grew bored, but I'm really gonna go for it this time! It's a good game and I want to finish it.:S I'm hoping whatever they've added here will help keep me interested.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if the Story Mode is really necessary, it seems people have been unhappy because the game is too easy, not too hard. Not sure if they can get new players this way either.

I've seen quite a few bad players express that they can't even make it through on easy.

Delterius

Arcane
I wonder if the Story Mode is really necessary, it seems people have been unhappy because the game is too easy, not too hard. Not sure if they can get new players this way either.
Story mode isn't just a difficulty mode. Its a rebranding that refocuses the intended experience from 'game' to CYOA. A lot of people are simply so new to RPGs and games in general that they can't beat a game like Pillars of Eternity on easy. They simply can't see the ropes just yet. Some are even uninterested in the genre and would rather play a CYOAdventure. That's the niche this change fills. I don't necessarily like it but its what it is.

Last edited:

Black_Willow

Arcane
Story mode isn't just a difficulty mode. Its a rebranding that refocuses the intended experience from 'game' to CYOA. A lot of people are simply so new to RPGs and games in general that they can't beat a game like Pillars of Eternity on easy. They simply can't see the ropes just yet. Some are even uninterested in the genre and would rather play a CYOAdventure. That's the niche this change fills. I don't necessarily with it but its what it is.
So it's like a non-combat build in AoD? :troll:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Story mode isn't just a difficulty mode. Its a rebranding that refocuses the intended experience from 'game' to CYOA. A lot of people are simply so new to RPGs and games in general that they can't beat a game like Pillars of Eternity on easy. They simply can't see the ropes just yet. Some are even uninterested in the genre and would rather play a CYOAdventure. That's the niche this change fills. I don't necessarily with it but its what it is.
So it's like a non-combat build in AoD? :troll:

You can still get into a difficult battle by accident in AoD. The whole point of Story Mode in PoE is to make sure that this can never happen.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I liked the game a lot despite its flaws, seeing how they keep working on improving it makes me want to install it once more. Keep it up Obsidian, good job!

How's the expansion?

Sizzle

Arcane
In many ways it's better than the base game - tougher, optional encounters. More ways to use your Watcher abilities in quests, as well as skills and even feats. Better items (even though the process by which Soulbound weapons advance is too grindy). Haven't used the new NPCs all that much, so can't comment on them, but everything points to part two of White March also being good (for example, they've stated that part two will have more of those CYOA screens than the entire game... which, admittedly, didn't have that many, but it's still a welcome touch).

If they keep up with the improvements, PoE 2 could be to PoE 1 what BG 2 was to BG 1.

Prime Junta

The expansion is okay. Basically more of the same, but surer on its feet clearly due to the familiarity with the engine and the style of the game. Some of the new monsters and items are pretty neat, some of the combat encounters are between brutally and moderately challenging depending on the level at which you hit them, and a lot of them require thinking up new tactics; the lagufaeth for example can be a real PITA with their ranged paralyse attacks.

Story-wise it's nothing special. I liked it well enough for the exploration, fights, new items, and pretty environments though. I'd call it competent but not inspired. Curious to see what part 2 brings with it and how it'll affect this perception.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Call me when they patch fun back in.

Honestly, it's better now. Not much better, but to me it's not nearly as tedious, no longer forcing you to loathe combat. NPC AI is still p. retarded, but at least they're capable of attacking foes on their own now, and as long as you're not facing a major fight, it's easy enough to basically allow combat to resolve itself.

Does that mean the game is fun now? No. It's merely bearable. And, if you're like me, and you simply want to get through this for the sake of saying that you did, at least your family won't find you hanging from your closet's coathanger rack while in the process.

Edit: I will add that as long as there's something to justify spending the time building up your stronghold now that the game further distances itself from "Fffffuuu"-territory to "meh"-territory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom