Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Livestream with Josh Sawyer and Jesse Cox

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
The opening game is so much better because of low enemy numbers and lack of party members. I would like to see how a mass combat from the beta build fares in such a stream. Should be funny.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The first level gameplay shown in this stream is longer and more "HP spongey" than the IE games were, though. Shank and Carbos were one hit kills.

The first time we saw this section of the game I think there were even people on the Codex who complained about it. So which is it.

Are you kidding? He was just playing fucking terribly. He was playing a Wizard with a horrible stat array and he's wearing armor. Wizards need to cast spells in order to be able to match the damage output of other classes, however you get a retardedly low amount of them. Yes - it's like the early level IE games in that regard but that's not really a good thing. Calisca was also using dual wielding which is utterly terrible at the moment, especially with a battle axe and a torch. If she has a mace and stiletto, the fights would have gone double as fast.

So I guess if you play like a dumb idiot the game has an ok pace :smug:

You tried to pull that other tactic in the other thread "pick one".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first level gameplay shown in this stream is longer and more "HP spongey" than the IE games were, though. Shank and Carbos were one hit kills.

The first time we saw this section of the game I think there were even people on the Codex who complained about it. So which is it.

Are you kidding? He was just playing fucking terribly. He was playing a Wizard with a horrible stat array and he's wearing armor. Wizards need to cast spells in order to be able to match the damage output of other classes, however you get a retardedly low amount of them. Yes - it's like the early level IE games in that regard but that's not really a good thing. Calisca was also using dual wielding which is utterly terrible at the moment, especially with a battle axe and a torch. If she has a mace and stiletto, the fights would have gone double as fast.

You tried to pull that other tactic in the other thread "pick one".

Well, Adam was playing in the first videos of this area that we saw. Oh wait. :troll:

And yeah man, we've had this conversation before. Preferences and opinions. Well, whatever.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Sensuki, it sounds to me like I'd want to read a guide on the combat done by you when this game releases. - Playing the closed beta just got me killed very damn fast most of the time. Your perspectives are very helpful.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
When is this supposed to come out again?

I've barely cracked WL2.

(EDIT: Oh still early 2015)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What is it with all these gaming personalities/journalists being both retards and shit at gaming? How the hell am I supposed to take the opinion of someone serious when they know so little and suck so badly at the very subject they opiniate over?

Athelas

Arcane
Presumably you're supposed to love them for their retarded bubbly personality and put-upon nerd cred.

Snozgobler

Educated
The fact that their terrible is what many people watch for. They want to be able to laugh at the antics and point out errors.

In many cases more informative videos are useful to a player, but they will only watch ones for games that they actively play. For YouTubers like Jessie Cox, his viewers will watch his videos for Shadows of Mordor and Hyrule Warriors even if they are games they are only tangentially aware of because they want to see what Jessie is going to do next.

He's actually not horrendous at console games, and he's a super lore nerd when it comes to some games. He's the personification of a console player who wants to be good at PC games but just isn't, but he doesn't let that stop him from trying.

imweasel

Jesse Cox is a full-on popamoler. I watched his preview of Dragon Age (romance gives me a boner, hue hue) where he said that he doesn't give a flying fuck about tactics.

But he has followers, which is all that really matters I guess.

UnknownBro

Savant
:greatjob:

Next on Project Eternity webisode: PewDiePie and Chris Avellone plays Arcanum... past the wolves.

4too

Arcane
The Promises Of Futures Past

“Infinitron” said:
… a visit to an inn with the rather apropos name of "The Black Hound" …

{Leaving my knee jerk reaction to Obsidian marketing … here, in a dark neutral corner.}

"The Black Hound” can mean as many things to as many people.

The gladiatorial, WWF tag team comentaries bare witness.

To those who could grind through the mime of Gold Box mazes, yet walk away from Baldur’s Gate 1 or 2 or 2.5, and the rest of Infinity,

"The Black Hound” could have been the glint in the eye, that launched a thousand … expectations.

But like many here, I backed some promise, I DO have a dog in this fight, with the cold comfort that the Infinity Engine aficionados are fidgeting in discontent.

I sit here at the children’s table, anticipating a vegetarian’s green cuisine, with only a conceptual clue, it won’t be the assembly line … “Happy Meal”. {Teh Horror, Teh Horror … :o}

As the anticipation is hyped up to a fevered pitch, allowing for infantile kosher squeamishness, NOO, don’t let the peas touch the potatoes, ... can only proclaim …

“Those of us who are about to dine salute you.” ;)

4too

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
am I alone in feeling that Josh never, ever sounds like he's having fun? like, he doesn't sound like he's mad or bored or anything else negative, he just always seems earnest in the least joyful way imaginable, and joyful is the word. it's a very weird persona. he has enthusiasm without joy. it confuses me so much. I don't dislike it, I just don't--get it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You mean he needs someone to tell him he's not having fun with what he's doing?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
You mean he needs someone to tell him he's not having fun with what he's doing?

there's a whole codex for that! rpgcodex: where you go to learn you weren't having a good time after all! Sawyer did seem to be enjoying himself a couple times in there, though, so maybe I'm just catching the wrong video interviews.

I liked the video. I even liked the streamer nerd. his reactions to the bits we didn't get to see were kind of great.

Darkzone

Arcane
Sensuki
I have watched some of the videos that you have put on youtube. I like the jazz music that you have used in one of the videos, but it was a little bit to loud. Now one mistake: Longsword is a 2 handed weapon, what you mean is the Arming sword.

The Longsword
Arming Sword

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Darkzone Yeah that was just an example, I got the answer to the question about why the Sword was just called a sword from Josh on tumblr:

enverxis said: What type of Sword is the Sword in Pillars of Eternity (Arming Sword, for instance) and why is it not called that instead ?

Swords encompass all one-handed swords that are larger than a dirk/gladius and are suitable for both cutting and thrusting. A specific sword could be an arming sword or a schiavona or something else in that general category. In contrast, sabres are much more suitable for cutting than thrusting and rapiers are much more suitable for thrusting than cutting.

Delterius

Arcane
Wizards need to cast spells in order to be able to match the damage output of other classes, however you get a retardedly low amount of them. Yes - it's like the early level IE games in that regard but that's not really a good thing.
It kinda isn't, I mean, a low level Mage in the IE games would probably rather memorizing utility spells like Sleep for masses of mooks and Blindness/Charm Person for enemy spellcasters. Anything but trying to match DPS. I get that this is probably bringing up one of those stupid Sawyerist discussions but is there no way not to be focused on damage output? Is there really no utility?

Delterius

Arcane
God dammit, even DA:O had utility. Even though the game was too easy to make use of it. Good to know. Maybe I should start watching streams and playing betas before I get disappointed next year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizards need to cast spells in order to be able to match the damage output of other classes, however you get a retardedly low amount of them. Yes - it's like the early level IE games in that regard but that's not really a good thing.
It kinda isn't, I mean, a low level Mage in the IE games would probably rather memorizing utility spells like Sleep for masses of mooks and Blindness/Charm Person for enemy spellcasters. Anything but trying to match DPS. I get that this is probably bringing up one of those stupid Sawyerist discussions but is there no way not to be focused on damage output? Is there really no utility?

Have a look at the spells and see for yourself what's available: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Wizard_spell#1st_Level_spells

But remember they have infinite Blasts too.

EDIT: Wait, what? Sleep isn't a "utility" spell. That's crowd control.

Delterius

Arcane

That's a community lingo from some old MMOs I used to play. Anything that wasn't boring/straight damage dealing or damage healing was a form of 'utility' - buffing, debuffing, pulling, crowd control, specialized forms disabling enemies, mobility, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

That's a community lingo from some old MMOs I used to play. Anything that wasn't boring/straight damage dealing or damage healing was a form of 'utility' - buffing, debuffing, pulling, crowd control, etc.

Oh. Yeah, I think by "utility" Sensuki thought you were talking about stuff like Identify, Knock, etc. Anyway, list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom