Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #95: Patch 1.05 Notes

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think the fact that Eric was going between South Park and Pillars in 2013-14 really hurt the writing side of things.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe he was following the traditions of his predecessors. :mca:

Deleted member 7219

The documentary is available in full to backers on the Eternity website. http://eternity.obsidian.net

I've watched about an hour of it so far. Interesting discussions from Justin Bell (audio director) and Eric Fenstermaker (a true bro, needs no introduction here).
Any indication of development issues/cuts etc ?

There were some stressful times when putting together the vertical slice and the first glimpse trailer, but once those were done the game moved into full production and the team grew. Eric Fenstermaker was working on both Eternity and South Park for a while, but there's no indication that that was a problem. Carrie Patel did a lot of writing too.

There's also a lot of Tim Cain talking about bugs. It was interesting to see them use JIRA - that is the development and bug tracking system my own company use, and it is really damn good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not sure why everyone hates on Pallegina. I mean, she's not OP but she's strong enough and she's quite adorable as a companion. I mean the paladin class overall as well

Josh personally considers his writing for Pallegina to be a failure, but it's unusual for him to ever be satisfied with anything he's written.

Copper

Savant
Not sure why everyone hates on Pallegina. I mean, she's not OP but she's strong enough and she's quite adorable as a companion. I mean the paladin class overall as well

Josh personally considers his writing for Pallegina to be a failure, but it's unusual for him to ever be satisfied with anything he's written.

She sure loves to slap people - I find her dialog okay, but the descriptive bits are not my thing.

Athelas

Arcane
I actually ended up quite liking Pallegina. Sawyer's complete lack of human warmth lends itself well to writing a mostly stoic character punctured by the rare burst of panicky emotion.

Last edited:

Copper

Savant
I actually ended up quite liking Pallegina. Sawyer's complete lack of human warmth lends itself well to writing a mostly stoic character punctured by the rare burst of panicky emotion.

Did he actually do the 'Stoic male' voice set? it's uncanny.

Kz3r0

Arcane
She sure loves to slap people
With that name I always think of her as a tranny(in Itallian her name sounds like vagina with balls), I must say that her writing reinforces the tranny impression.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Where's this invented notion that Pallegina isn't popular? I mean, she's not super popular, but I don't think any of the companions were breakout characters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's new, give us links&quotes pls

Badgame

i don't think i did a great job writing pallegina, so i'm not surprised she's not popular.
He didn't explain what exactly the faults of her writing are?

Eder was ok, but I am surprised he's the most popular - I personally preferred durance and grieving mother.
He was the least demanding character in terms of emotional investment, it wasn't possible to hate him, but it's easy to see how some could love or downright hate blabbering Durance or even Aloth or Hievoras
Also, Eder's ability to tankomurder through whole game given a bunch of good items made him one of the most useful companions

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Where's this invented notion that Pallegina isn't popular? I mean, she's not super popular, but I don't think any of the companions were breakout characters.
https://www.obsidian.net/component/poll/30-poe-favorite-companion

Dead last.

Josh also said he wasn't surprised to see Eder as the most popular character, since he was designed to be your friend, the Varric of Eternity.

A poll like that *really* needs to let each voter rank them from 1 to 8.

I also raise doubts about the representativeness of such votes from the denizens of the Obsidian forums. The legacy of Alistair and Garrus Vakerian looms large in the hearts of refugees from the Bioware forums.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pallegina has the most boring personal quest, but I am surprised she is the least popular character (assuming the poll is accurate). I thought it would be the creepy woman from Dyrford or the wizard.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pallegina has the most boring personal quest, but I am surprised she is the least popular character (assuming the poll is accurate). I thought it would be the creepy woman from Dyrford or the wizard.
Why did you think that? The creepy woman is probably the least usual char, so I can see that people consider her to be interesting / fascinating. And Aloth is a Goth Wizard which is cool in itself. ^^

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Maybe it's just me then. I didn't expect that people like creeps so much. To be honest, none of the companions seems to me particularly appealing.

Copper

Savant
I do wish he had a mental dungeon where I could torture him, though. Lots of whores with burning pincers.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Durance is annoying. He is a typical MCA character - a guy/girl with troubled past, lost in his/her own nightmares. He just keeps writing them since PST and this is getting old. Thankfully, he is still able to write less annoying people, like Cass from FNV.

Overall companion incorporation -- from the ways they were found to the way their stories unfolded in the narrative -- was split between the design sensibilities of the original Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and modern conventions of accessibility.

This worked okay for the simpler characters, but an unfortunate side effect was that Durance and Grieving Mother didn't get nearly the development the thematic undertow of their personal stories suggested they should receive.

Accessibility also doesn't help role playing with characters like that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Companions? I love most of their quests, because of their thematic unity and their understated, anti-epic nature. No deus ex machinas there. In terms of personality and dialogue, I don't think any of them were particularly great, which is surprising, since every Obsidian game has had at least one marvellously Obsidian character. (Even DS3 had the monk guy. And South Park doesn't count.)

Eder I thought was surprisingly well written and executed from what could have been Carth-level boring. I also liked Sagani, but she's the most 'anti-epic' one of them all and for that reason I see a lot of people dislike her. Durance is a good example of a fantastic concept, which still shines through sometimes, buried in a lot of poorly edited and paced waffle.

Aloth and Grieving Mother are excellent concepts, potential for exceptionally memorable characters, butchered by poor delivery. Aloth just doesn't get enough dialogue time to fully play out his issues, leading to "huh I suddenly have conquered ma problems with Iselmyr also I am totally fine with my past now", and isn't helped by poor tone. Grieving Mother, I feel, could only have worked under the original 'mind dungeon' vision - everything integral to her requires something other than a dialogue tree. What's crucial to GM is that the player's access to her and her memories is in many ways resonant with GM's own experiences and features of the narrative, and all that becomes raped into "click spacebar 12 times" in the current formulation.

I really liked the overarching vision for the place of companions in the game, I just hope they get their proper writing mojo back for expansion pack / POE2. I'm also sad the Angry Monk Man didn't make it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom