Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #90: Post-PDXCon Preview Blitz + New Screenshots

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You like to do good stuff then don't use evil characters. It would makes sense, wouldn't you say?

Maybe not the typical Bioware "you helped an old lady cross the road, I can't stand by this!" stuff, but still, Obsidian fanboys would expect more from them, no? Well, apparently not, that's why they're fanboys.
Doing bad stuff in BG1-2 means you gimp yourself and close yourself out from quests, loot and gold. I'm not an immersionfag, so I don't care if I do good stuff, but have some evil characters. All I wanted is to try out evil NPCs, not just the typical good guys in every playthrough. I wanted to hear their banters, and conversations.

But of course fanboys will go :hearnoevil: and say they're doing some great innovation nobody ever did, or EVEN TRIED EVER BEFORE, thank god for that. :lol:
Who said anything about Obsidian doing great innovation?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Bioware still has party member side quests. :M

So? I'm not really a part of "Everything about Bioware sucks! Gay elf buttsex lololol!" edgy crowd. If Dragon Age has some decent C&C, that doesn't mean all C&C is terrible by default because you know, it appears in a Bioware game.

There is class-specific content in the beta and they said companions will have their own quests in the final game.

That's good to hear, I hope class-specific content isn't just a few extra lines of dialogue?

Athelas

Arcane
So? I'm not really a part of "Everything about Bioware sucks! Gay elf buttsex lololol!" edgy crowd. If Dragon Age has some decent C&C, that doesn't mean all C&C is terrible by default because you know, it appears in a Bioware game.
My point was that 'modern school of gaming design' and companion quests aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to what you claimed.

That's good to hear, I hope class-specific content isn't just a few extra lines of dialogue?
Apparently one solution to a quest in the beta is only available to a cipher, though I haven't played that particular part myself.

Anyway, the Google translation of that interview is in line what we heard before: companions can leave, but perhaps not as easily as in the BG games.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Apparently one solution to a quest in the beta is only available to a cipher, though I haven't played that particular part myself.

Anyway, the Google translation of that interview is in line what we heard before: companions can leave, but perhaps not as easily as in the BG games.

P.Much

Everything after that are assumptions by the previewer. Even if its true the guy took it to mean that theres zero depth and C&C to the companions. Which is stupid

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
My point was that 'modern school of gaming design' and companion quests aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to what you claimed.

My claim was more in the vein of easily missed content (that occurs under specific circumstances or isn't easy to find) by first time player than merely companion sidequests which I do think is a trend in modern gaming industry. Modern Bioware games usually force companions on you, in Mass Effect 2 my crew is the same no matter what so it isn't the same as missing the NPC and his exclusive content entirely the first time you play the game (such as Eldoth and his blackmail in BG for example) but fair point nonetheless.

Well that's something, shouldn't jump to conclusions based on shitty gamejourno article I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I want C&C! I want my choices to matter!" roughly translates to "all I want is different dialog lines and ending slides".

Are you saying Baldur's Gate has better C&C than Fallout? I know a certain website circa 2002-2004 or so that would have eaten you alive.

Choices are better when they lead to different content, not when they lock it away.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: I go away for a few hours to watch a movie and this is what happens. Look at all the brofists!

No, Baldur's Gate-style disposable companions are not really a good thing to have in a game with just eight companions. Your companions didn't leave you at the drop of a hat in PS:T either, or in any other game of this type.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Well, there aren't any actual bullets, so your might is in fact the only thing that could possibly affect your damage with a gun. :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Better then. Why the fuck does jsawyer calls a magic metal staff a "pistol"? Is he ignorant or just farsical?

:lol: We're just pulling your leg, man. Ranged weapons in PoE have infinite ammo, so "no bullets" in your inventory. But the guns are a lot of fun:

JS: That's cool! I thought the Enhanced Editions were really nice updates for the old games. It was really cool they came to tablets. As one of the main designers on Icewind Dale, seeing the BG2 kits in there destroy all the balance kind of made me a little sad. The BG2 kits are really powerful and Icewind Dale was kind of balanced around one thing.

Soooo....Beamdog maybe is not so bad after all:)
:troll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Choices are better when they lead to different content, not when they lock it away.

Yeah, different content being different dialog lines, I assume. Otherwise leading to different content kinda implies some other content is locked.

You know that not being able to use an NPC in itself is "different content" right? Because the way you play will change and that's different content.

It's not a perfect 1-to-1 where you can build whatever you want and there's no trade-off, but if you want to build an idiot muscle-wizard, which is very important to me, you can. If you want to build a brilliant fighter, that's also a very viable character. If you have an idea for a cool character we don't want to say "No, that's unrealistic." We want to say "What's a way we can support that and make it fun?"

:lol:

Cool idea for all classes in PoE: Jack-of-all-trades.
:hero:

Rake

Arcane
:lol: I go away for a few hours to watch a movie and this is what happens. Look at all the brofists!

No, Baldur's Gate-style disposable companions are not really a good thing to have in a game with just eight companions. Your companions didn't leave you at the drop of a hat in PS:T either, or in any other game of this type.
You could push Ignus and (maybe?) Vrailor into attacking you in PST.

Ramireza

Savant
Cool idea for all classes in PoE: Jack-of-all-trades.
:hero:

And it seems that Obsidian will deliver this, a game where everything is possible : No consuequences, no Realism, just "fun".

The mayority of players out there exactly want this : A themepark, a playgound. Fuck an believeable world, just give me unlimited opportunities. Hell yeah!

Like Skyrim, where a dumb, hulking, axe-smashing Nord could be the archmage. Why not... Its "fun"!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom