Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #88: Release Date - March 26th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Earlier today I noticed that a swanky new "Royal Edition" of Pillars of Eternity had suddenly been made available for pre-order on GOG and elsewhere. Sensing that something was up, I braced myself for an official announcement from Obsidian. What we got, however, was not an announcement of the Royal Edition, but instead a Kickstarter update announcing the game's final release date(!):

Hello, everyone. As most of you know, the Eternity team has been hard at work squashing bugs and polishing the game for release. Every day the build is getting better and we are inching closer to when we can share the full game with you. We have some important information for you, such as the...

... Release Date!

If you have been waiting for word on a release date, the Pillars of Eternity team has some exciting news for you. The final game will be released on March 26th, 2015! At that time you will be able to purchase it "for reals" on Steam, GOG, and other online retailers.

This is also when we will be posting information about how you can redeem your game (and other backer rewards) on our Backer Portal.

If you’d like to make sure your order is correct, you can visit the Orders tab in your Account Profile. Any order there listed as “confirmed” is what we currently have confirmed for you. You can click on orders specifically to get more detail about your completed pledge.

If you’re a backer getting physical goods, we’ll be sending an e-mail around the end of February that will ask you to confirm your shipping address for us. You can verify and edit your address now if you’ve recently moved. We’ll keep you posted on when we’ll need final address edits!

Leads Meeting

Our Executive Producer and Lead Programmer, Adam Brennecke, shot some footage of our leads meeting yesterday. We thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing one of our daily meetings. I can't promise the most riveting 20 minutes, but it will give you a bit of insight into what we do every morning.

Sprint to the Finish

In these last few months the team is laser-focused on a few keys areas:
  • Polishing and Bugs. The entire team is busy fixing as many bugs as possible. We are also going through the existing content and polishing it up – check out the brigandine!
  • Finalization of... Everything. We are also in the process of finalizing everything from backer reward items to game boxes. It is quite a bit of stuff, but we are making great progress and everything is on track for the release date.
  • Showing Off the Game. In addition to finishing up the game and everything else surrounding it, we are also going to be showing off the game. We will be doing a live stream tomorrow at 1pm PST (21:00 GMT), on Paradox's Twitch page. Also look for us at PAX South later this month and PAX East in March (PAX East isn't confirmed yet) where some of the Pillars team will be giving a preview of the game and answering panel questions. It may even be live streamed!
That's it for now, be on the lookout for our next update where we go over backer rewards (including redemption on our Backer Portal).​

Now, you're probably wondering why I didn't embed that meeting video into the post instead of just linking to it. That's because it's pretty boring. Instead I'm going to show you some pretty new screenshots that were released together with the Royal Edition pre-order:

Two and a half months away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the first screen the most. I love it when there are good looking interiors.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Royal Edition = $89.99?! I'm surprised they're asking that much. Not that I didn't drop several hundred on the KS/Codex fundraiser myself but not sure the average consumer won't scoff at that price point.

Oh yeah, the expected "Yep, it looks, feels, plays just like Baldur's Gate..... not that there's anything wrong with that..." :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Royal Edition = $89.99?! I'm surprised they're asking that much. Not that I didn't drop several hundred on the KS/Codex fundraiser myself but not sure the average consumer won't scoff at that price point.

Well, it's Royal. +M The Hero Edition is just $45 and still gives you all the in-game pre-order goodies.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Grimoire stuff... im selling a lawsuit incoming.

Glorious screens.

Edit: No boob physics like the SR video but we do get to see Josh trying to make a rhythm / nod thing with his head that was almost :balance:

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Those screens are glorious.

(Except for the aliasing on the 3D models :P)

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That does look like a morning meeting. (When are their morning meetings? Ours are at 10 and I still look like that)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
That does look like a morning meeting. (When are their morning meetings? Ours are at 10 and I still look like that)

At Obsidian, as a whole, we try to do sync up DEVELOPER meetings first in the morning and get them out of the way, usually at 930 or 10. Some projects or teams might just have one a week, some might have them twice a week, or even daily, depending on their needs. We try to limit meetings because while they are good for communication, they are bad for productivity.

Producers usually have a daily close of business sync-up, but that doesn't include developers - it's just to get them ready for the next day.

Deleted member 7219

Looks way more structured than the meetings I have at work (I work for a software company).

Sawyer looks like he's aged 20 years, Brandon Adler looks like a frat boy, Eric Fenstermaker does not look like the image I had of him in my head (for some reason I thought he was fat). It is good to see what he looks like though, he's a total bro in terms of the stuff he's contributed to Obsidian games in the past (a lot of Fallout: New Vegas was from him).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grimoire stuff... im selling a lawsuit incoming.

Glorious screens.

Edit: No boob physics like the SR video but we do get to see Josh trying to make a rhythm / nod thing with his head that was almost :balance:
13:22

Game looks great, maybe a bit too "sterile" in some of the enviroments though and characters are not that great... But still, it's an eye candy. How's the game going to be, I'll wait to see a Codex review. I'm hoping for the best.

Deleted member 7219

The quality of the artwork is outstanding, truly. I've never really thought much about Obsidian's art style before (except for MotB - that was terrific, especially for the standards of the time), but those screenshots really are outstanding.

I would criticise the character bodies, though. Every single character in that first screenshot is standing the exact same way.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
New Grimoire icons (for individual Grimoires) and icons for most unique weapons too, according to BAdler (won't quote it as it's from a quote train).

Athelas

Arcane
Presumably the central plot of the game will concern the question why people continue to build houses on top of this structurally unreliable substance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom