Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #85: Administrative Filler Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Darren Monahan; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

The Pillars of Eternity team is very busy these days, so they've sent Darren Monahan to do a short administrative Kickstarter update for this month. Here's what it says:

Hi everyone,

With the backer beta out now, and the *con season (Gamescom, PAX, Gen Con, et al.) coming to a close for the year, we wanted to give you an update on what we've been up to. We’re busy working on three big things: 1) getting everything on the fulfillment side ready to go, 2) working through many changes and improvements based on feedback from folks playing the backer beta, and 3) wrapping up the game proper.

Fulfillment

As of this week, we’re busy finishing and/or approving all of the final designs for nearly all of the physical rewards so production can begin. It’s very exciting to see this all coming together and often isn't part of the process we get to be involved in at such a deep level on our other projects. It’s one thing to have a playable game here in the studio that we continually maintain – it’s another to be able to really help design the look, feel, and content of every little bit of what comprises a game that ultimately will ship out to you.

We’ve been working really closely with the great folks at Dark Horse who are putting together the finishing touches on the amazing Collector’s Book for the game, and the equally great folks at Prima are busy working on the strategy guide. We’re working with the same author from the Fallout: New Vegas strategy guide, which we’re very excited about!

Backer Beta Feedback

A very big THANK YOU to all of those playing the backer beta and providing feedback on our forums! We’re focusing on a lot of changes right now based on your feedback – big improvements to pathfinding and combat, some significant changes to scouting and stealth and how they work, and we’re doing a lot of reviews on the game’s UI and overall presentation to improve the experience. Expect to see a lot of changes coming in on the beta over the coming weeks. Again, thank you to all of you providing feedback – we really appreciate it. We have folks internally who are scouring every single post and thread daily to move bugs and other feedback into our bug tracking system internally.

Wrapping the Game Up

Over the next several weeks, the team is focusing on a couple key things: area and quest finalization and plowing through the many final tasks and bugs. To keep things “old school”, we’re even employing the Quest Whiteboard of Baldur’s Gate 2 and Icewind Dale fame, where all of the quests in the game are posted on a very visible whiteboard in the office, and designers and QA fight (to the death?!) to certify that quests are 100% done and clean, by removing the evil X’s in their respective department columns. In this case, two X’s enter, ZERO X’s leave. That’s the goal anyway. Here it is as it was finished being set up - note, each item on this board can have many steps and states that all have to be checked before the X can come off for the entire thing.

pe-questboard.jpg

We’ll be back in a couple weeks with some more pics of other physical rewards and an update on how we’re doing. Have a great weekend!
Check out the full update for a photo of PoE's impressive Collector's Edition box. There's also an obligatory shout-out to Wasteland 2. And yes, Volourn, your GOG keys are on the way.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not exactly knowledgeable on QA, but using 'the Quest Whiteboard of Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale fame' for vastly more complex quest design doesn't seem like the greatest idea...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not exactly knowledgeable on QA, but using 'the Quest Whiteboard of Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale fame' for vastly more complex quest design doesn't seem like the greatest idea...

I dunno - it's for QA, not design. Complex or not, if the quest works, you remove the Xs. Perhaps very complex quests could be subdivided into several entries or something.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I dunno - it's for QA, not design. Complex or not, if the quest works, you remove the Xs. Perhaps very complex quests could be subdivided into several entries or something.

That would kinda defeat the point. Its meant for oversight over all the quests in the game. The X only counts if everything is done related to it. How complex something is doesn't matter.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, a KS update that actually talks about the physical rewards without making excuses on why it will be delayed months after the release of the actual game!!!

:negative:

Counting entries on that board is difficult but from my trying it seems we are going to have about 100 quest. (take or give 10, I don't expect to make a bigger mistake)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Those are some tiny-ass pictures.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was excited about the collector's edition box because it looks old school, but then I realized that it's only for $250+ backers and there is still the chance my physical copy is a fucking DVD case from paradox. If I paid $60 for a fucking DVD case I swear obsidian will rue the day they fucked me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom