Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #82: Creatures; Backer Beta on Aug 18

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Rose Gomez

This week's Pillars of Eternity update by associate producer Rose Gomez is pretty short, focusing on the design of some of the game's creatures. It also officially announces the backer beta, to be released on August 18 already. Good progress there.

Anyway, here's one of the monsters:

Blight

Blights are lost souls or soul fragments that have bonded with elemental substances. They are often victims of natural disasters (floods, rock slides, forest fires, etc.). They are incoherent, confused, and full of rage, an amorphous cloud that swirls endlessly and with great violence. Within the vortex, dozens of humanoid shapes materialize and vanish from moment to moment. Faces scream in silent agony while hands desperately clutch and claw at their surroundings, as though still trying to escape their tragic fates.

Bîaŵacs, storms that can rip the soul out of a person’s body, often create blights. If souls are ripped free from their bodies and caught in the center of the storm, they may become stuck together and bonded with any other elemental substances in the maelstrom. They are pure chaos and confusion, and destroying them is considered by many to be a mercy to the souls trapped within them.

Blights have been the subject of controversial research carried out by the animancers of Eora. On the one hand, attempts at vivisection have led to promising strides in treating patients who, for one reason or another, contain within their bodies two or more complete souls fused together, which has been identified as the root cause of a variety of mental and physiological disorders. On the other, however, some groups lament that there is a lack of transparency on the methods being employed in these experiments, the general concerns being that these might be somehow inhumane or present some broader risk to the surrounding populace. There are also some who accuse animancers of deliberately trying to create blights for study, but the veracity of these claims is difficult to substantiate.​

Bîaŵac is such a Sawyerian name. To learn about Xaurips and Vithracks, read the full update.

Additionally, in a move that may prove disappointing to some, Obsidian has decided to only provide developer documentary (which was part of some KS tiers) as digital download, avoiding the physical DVD/Bluray stuff entirely. It's like that thing Swen Vincke is talking about.

The next update will "discuss the Backer Beta in more detail." Looking forward to that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Within the vortex, dozens of humanoid shapes materialize and vanish from moment to moment. Faces scream in silent agony while hands desperately clutch and claw at their surroundings, as though still trying to escape their tragic fates.
Did they forget to inform the artists or something

Also "Bîaŵacs" :lol:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In Welsh, î is used to represent long stressed i [iː]

so it's a long stressed i in a ia diphthong?

unless the word you tried to create is pronounced Bee'awwak

which makes it sound very silly indeed

good job sawyer

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's so pretentious. He read one or two books on ye olde europe history and linguistics and became our very own american Tolkien

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He does have a history degree so I assume it's more than one or two books.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
It's so pretentious. He read one or two books on ye olde europe history and linguistics and became our very own american Tolkien

Well, he's doing something, so he's not pretending. Also I have never read a statement where he declared that he was an expert. He's a guy who's interested in linguistics and has a history degree. Now he's applying his interests to his work. I don't see where the problem is.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
The obvious goal of those linguistics is to make the average dialogue sequence in PoE so incomprehensible that it will be hailed as a truly exotic and original setting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The obvious goal of those linguistics is to make the average dialogue sequence in PoE so incomprehensible that it will be hailed as a truly exotic and original setting.
Exactly, was about to post that. It's like "our elves are different" but even more superficial

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, he's doing something, so he's not pretending. Also I have never read a statement where he declared that he was an expert. He's a guy who's interested in linguistics and has a linguistics degree. Now he's applying his interests to his work. I don't see where the problem is.

Nerds on the RPG Codex don't like things that overtly remind them that they are nerds

It's like the adra business. Regular nerds go "hey, cool, so it's realistic and makes sense". Codex nerds go "I see what you did there, stop trying to pander to my nerdiness"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I wonder if they have a large vat of (spider) goo as their 'head of state' like illithids usually do. :P

Shadenuat

Arcane
I love the little fact that they sew their magical robes with their own webs out of their heads
At least not from their asses

Old school usually used spidersilk made clothes on wrestling-looking drow women for, uh, undergarments, but I guess spider-robes would have to do

Athelas

Arcane
Exactly, was about to post that. It's like "our elves are different" but even more superficial
I was actually half-kidding. I don't think they have any pretentions about this being anything other than a reskinned Forgotten Realms. That seems to be very much a deliberate goal (because traditional fantasy sells better etc.); the interesting stuff will likely be in the details of the writing. Similarly, I doubt the 'weird language stuff' will see much use besides describing a few rare phenomena like the soulstorms.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Seriously, not BFD that the monsters are similiar. Fantasy has been around for centuries so fo coruse mosnetrs will be similiar. Dnd alone has literally THOUSANDS of monsters. There's gonna be overlap. BFD

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't see anything pretentious, and I really like cultures, liked the picture where they showed us native clothing of every culture. But names they choose for some reason are just not that melodic. And since singing and dancing and melody and stealing newborn babies always was kinda an elvish thing it comes as strange, even if in their world races are defined more by culture than a race. Compare it to something like Warhammer. High elves there too get a lot of irish and welsh stuff, but they call themselves Asur, not Scetldsjej fuck i can't pronounce it; they live on an island of Ulthuan, not in Glanfathahahn--shit I cannot into welsh. They have kings like Aenarion, or Caledor, or Finubar. Their heroes are easy to remember - Tethlis the Loremaster, Tyrion his brother. They have warriors like Swordmasters of Hoeth, Lions of Chrace.
I guess making every character into miniature to sell and just making setting "that sells" has it's advantages, since you have to mold everything into one to make people want to buy it.

But really, I think it wouldn't hurt if at least one culture had something else but tongue twister as their names.

Also if Sawyer is a linguist, he should probably know that it is in a nature of language to simplify words for easier day to day use as it develops through time.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I love the little fact that they sew their magical robes with their own webs out of their heads
At least not from their asses

Old school usually used spidersilk made clothes on wrestling-looking drow women for, uh, undergarments, but I guess spider-robes would have to do

Love that 80s hair. Goddamn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom