Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #79: Graphics and Rendering (and E3)

Does the UK count when it comes to Eurotrash? Because they made my favourite RPG series of all time: Fable.

Dr Schultz

Augur
The core gameplay is combat and exploration. The exploration part is good, which makes Divine Divinity a funnier experience than any trash-mob-feast hack&slashy shit out there.
Walking around is not gameplay, much like how role playing isn't.

Sorry to spoil your US-centered view of the genre, Rogey, but S.T.A.L.K.R. (and I mean the whole series) has always been the best free-roaming RPG-like experience out there;
Hmm, no, CoP is the only one approaching good and even then it falls short in many places.

Gothic I-II/Risen I are probably the only decent free roaming fantasy RPGs shipped in decades,
Trash controls, systems, and content.

CD Projekt makes Bioware-like interactive novels better than Bioware,
This is downright delusional.

Eurotrash gonna eurotrash. And this isn't even just my opinion, considering Larian's poor showing in the RPG Codex top 70, and that's not even bringing up Beyond Divinity, one of the worst games of all time.

Ok, before that, I stll had doubts. Now it's cristal-clear that you can't reconize a decent gameplay even with a sign pointing at him. Enjoy your Bio-thesda mastepieces ;).

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does the UK count when it comes to Eurotrash? Because they made my favourite RPG series of all time: Fable.
Yes, though there are a couple of almost-exceptions. Rockstar North's been a mixed bag of good and bad decisions but they're not terrible, and Rocksteady did surprisingly well with the Batman games from the start. No RPGs of course.

Enjoy your Bio-thesda mastepieces ;).
Ah yes, those two companies I praise all the time.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Yes, though there are a couple of almost-exceptions. Rockstar North's been a mixed bag of good and bad decisions but they're not terrible, and Rocksteady did surprisingly well with the Batman games from the start. No RPGs of course.

Enjoy your Bio-thesda mastepieces ;).
Ah yes, those two companies I praise all the time.

Frankly, the funniest thing about all your nonsensical speech is that neither I or anyone else here in the forum understands who or what are you praising :D: Obsidian's masterpieces such Alpha Protocol or Dungeons Siege 3? The TERRIFIC Diablo 3 or the unforgettable Kingdom of Amalur?

Let's face the truth, my friend: Since Troika's departure, European developers have performed WAY better than American's in this genre. The only notable non-indie CRPGs released after 2005 in US are Mask of the Betrayer and FO: NV, the second of which is inferior to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. basically in every aspect of the core gameplay (combat, exploration, survival stuff, etc...). Other good non-European RPG-like games are Human Revolution and the Soul's games. Again, not American stuff.

But you know: 4th July is approaching. Time to be patriotic :asd:...

Last edited:
The only notable non-indie CRPGs released after 2005 in US are Mask of the Betrayer and FO: NV, the second of which is inferior to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. basically in every aspect of the core gameplay (combat, exploration, survival stuff, etc...). Other good non-European RPG-like games are Human Revolution and the Soul's games. Again, not American stuff.

:kwafuckyeah::kwanzania:
Hahaha S.T.A.L.K.E.R. better than FO:NV. :lol:

Edit: Actually I haven't even played that game, but it looks sort of looks like a bare-bones Fallout 3 with goldeneye graphics. Probably shouldn't be a graphics whore, will play and get back..

Dr Schultz

Augur
The only notable non-indie CRPGs released after 2005 in US are Mask of the Betrayer and FO: NV, the second of which is inferior to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. basically in every aspect of the core gameplay (combat, exploration, survival stuff, etc...). Other good non-European RPG-like games are Human Revolution and the Soul's games. Again, not American stuff.

Edit: Actually I haven't even played that game, but it looks sort of looks like a bare-bones Fallout 3 with goldeneye graphics. Probably shouldn't be a graphics whore, will play and get back..

Usually it takes you a couple of firefights/anomalies to understand why Bethesda (and by extension Obsidian using Bethesda technology) won't ever be able to make a core-gameplay as solid as GSC did at its first attempt. Of course, Rogey is the exception to the rule.

Having said that, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is "just" a FPS with (equipment) stats and some survival mechanics. It doesn't even try to look more "RPGish" than it is. Point is, you won't find a better open-world FPS out there, exactly like you won't find a better action game with stats than a Souls game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CoP is all right and helped inspire Josh when it came to New Vegas (hardcore mode specifically), but only subhuman Eurotrash would think it had better core gameplay.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Bro, you blind? Stalker looks 10x better than any Gamebryo Bethesda game such as Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
CoP is all right and helped inspire Josh when it came to New Vegas (hardcore mode specifically), but only subhuman Eurotrash would think it had better core gameplay.

Nah, Stalker blows FNV away when it comes to combat, loot and exploration for example. That said, they are different games, FNV is full blown RPG-FPS hybrid with stats, skills, checks, C&C, faction gameplay etc. while Stalker is (as Dr Schultz mentioned) an open-world FPS in which character development/growth comes from equipment upgrades.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Get out of here, STALKER.

Anyway, PoT still seems on track to be the most beautifully-rendered genre-cliche of all time.

Dr Schultz

Augur

Edit: THIS is the funniest thing about all your nonsensical speech: basically, CoP (which has the same core-gameplay of other STALKER games) is all right because Josh said so; the other STALKER games aren't all right because Josh never mentioned them. AHAHAHAH....

After this, I have to reformulate my previous statement: you can't recognize a good gameplay even with a sign pointing at it, unless this sign is written by J. Sawyer, of course.

In Josh's words we trust :D.

jdinatale

Cipher
Why is STALKER being discussed on an RPG forum? You have an inventory and equipment and that's about the extent of the role-playing.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Why is STALKER being discussed on an RPG forum? You have an inventory and equipment and that's about the extent of the role-playing.

I could argue that there are way more C&Cs in STALKER than in Baldur's Gate. But the truth is, we are talking about STALKER because apparently Sawyer mentioned CoP once. Isn't that enough :D?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
5111046.JPG

convicts-in-a-prison-ship.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nah, Stalker blows FNV away when it comes to combat,
The stock accuracy of guns in STALKER is quite bad, and the the guns'n'upgrade systems are an unrefined mess (though an improvement over what they were in Clear Sky)

Josh said that when it came to guns in CoP he found a few he liked, upgraded them, and never bothered with any others. When a systems wonk like Josh completely disengages with your mechanics, there's a problem.

and exploration for example.
Comparing the two is like splitting hairs. Also exploration is not gameplay.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Nah, Stalker blows FNV away when it comes to combat,
The stock accuracy of guns in STALKER is quite bad, and the the guns'n'upgrade systems are an unrefined mess (though an improvement over what they were in Clear Sky)

Aahhaha... I can't believe it. Are you seriously trying to argument your baseless prejudices :D? The accuracy of guns in STALKER is based on a quasi-realistic ballistic system. Everyone (who has played the game) knows that. This is one the MANY reasons because you can't even compare STALKER core gameplay with shitty Bethesda's core gameplay (and its direct derivation, namely NV).

Josh said that when it came to guns in CoP he found a few he liked, upgraded them, and never bothered with any others. When a systems wonk like Josh completely disengages with your mechanics, there's a problem.

If Josh said so, it should be true. No doubts about that :asd...

and exploration for example.

Comparing the two is like splitting hairs. Also exploration is not gameplay.

So, basically level/world designers have wasted their entire life trying to make exploration compelling, the whole metroidvania genre has no gameplay and Ultima VII sucks.

You are funny Roguey. SO funny :D...

PS: comparing the two (and recognizing that STALKER's is way better), is like understanding what a good world design is.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PROTIP: When Roguey starts defining things as "not gameplay", it's time to unilaterally terminate the argument.

(Josh Sawyer would probably be horrified by this dismissal of important gameplay elements, btw. For the ultimate shiv, try emailing him and asking if dialogue, roleplaying and exploration are gameplay.)

Last edited:
Is Fable considered bad around here? I figured since everyone liked D:OS so much that I was in the clear, I guess I need to lurk more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom