Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #76: Justin Bell on the Music of Pillars of Eternity

Tytus

Arcane
Elder Scrolls in general has good music. I still can't get out Morrowind main theme out of my head.

A user named cat

<MTW vid>

Soundtrack that I remember fondly that made extensive use of environmental sounds. Worked pretty well for strategic map background music. Not every piece in a game must sound epic.
Best example posted in this topic. The ambience used in that game brought a flat game board to life and could suck you in for hours. It's probably one of the main things that got me hooked and had my ex-gf bitching at me all the time to turn it off. I didn't even care about the battles, just chilling on the campaign map and strategizing while those windy ambient tracks played. A shame they transitioned to 3D and ruined the series. An even bigger shame that MTW1 is all but unplayable on newer hardware without crashing or freezing.

Repressed Homosexual
Wow, garbage ambient generic Hollywood movie music. Why does every composer nowadays wants to be Hans Zimmerman? This is flat out insulting. Stay home instead of putting out such trite, if you don't have anything meaningful in you don't bother.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I just came here to post that. When you play the Dyrford music with an environmental effect, particularly rain, the difference is startling.
conclusion: everything is better with rain.
Here is Tangerine Dream's interpretation of Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition with both rain and horse-drawn carriage effects. It's very atmospheric. The song ends at the 3 minute mark, the remainder is an unrelated piano piece, since it's the only youtube recording for the song I found.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

Since this is now a share you favorite video game songs thread.

And just about every single music from the Heroes of Might And Magic 1-4 (and 5 to some extent).

But that's what happen when you hire a former child prodigy with good taste. Not just a garage composer.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Get over it, bro! It's totally not important. Did you know that nothing is important? You don't like this music because you don't like villages and orthographic levels.

Rake

Arcane
Ignore the apologists, the PE music is pretty underwhelming compared to most of the other stuff on the project.
Not all of it. I found the music in the trailer alright. So it's not that they lack talent, it's the direction that is off. These "modern sensibilities" Justin spoke of suck.

Starwars

Arcane
I think the music samples for Serpent in the Staglands were awful and easily the most negative part of the game so far.

On the other hand, I enjoyed this village track and I think it will sound great in the game. Not the best music I've ever heard but pretty pleasant. Wasn't a fan of the trailer music at all although I did like some of the music in the first kickstarter video, particularly the harp thing was pretty nice. While I hope for some nice themes here and there, I hope the music will have more of a background feel to it. I like the BG music for what it is but after hearing those melodies over and over and over while actually playing the game... I'd prefer something that draws less attention to itself while you're playing.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I liked some parts of it but it clearly lacked any direction. Some elements were really awesome but at times it sounded a bit uninspired. I wouldn't say that this is a bad omen because I don't think they will share anything "big" with us until the game is released. Hell, we barely know anything about the story the characters or anything. It's part bad marketing, part not wanting to spoil anything, I guess. They will definitely not show us any iconic piece of the game beforehand. And that includes music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom