Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #74: Wizards and Druids + Paradox Distribution Deal

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
"If we don't think Pillars of Eternity is up to standard, we're going to tell these guys." - Paradox.

"Obsidian is still fully in charge of development and will continue to be so all the way through launch and beyond." - Obsidian.

These sentences are technically consistent, but it's all lost in PR haze. Paradox is saying they'll ensure Obsidian doesn't make the game shit; Obsidian is saying they have full creative control.

Nonetheless, it's a pretty hardcore publishing deal. Sorry, distribution deal.

Bilgefar

Savant
"If we don't think Pillars of Eternity is up to standard, we're going to tell these guys." - Paradox.

"Obsidian is still fully in charge of development and will continue to be so all the way through launch and beyond." - Obsidian.

These sentences are technically consistent, but it's all lost in PR haze. Paradox is saying they'll ensure Obsidian doesn't make the game shit; Obsidian is saying they have full creative control.
You realize that Paradox is doing QA right? What exactly do you think the point of QA is other than making sure the product is "up to standard"?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
You realize that Paradox is doing QA right? What exactly do you think the point of QA is other than making sure the product is "up to standard"?
The great thing about QA is that is can mean such a wide range of things. It doesn't just mean bug-checking; it also means design advice.

Again, you're not arguing a hard point. They played this card extremely well, and all of it can be hand-waved away as a mere publishing deal -- sorry, distribution deal. After all, it's not like they're taking any control over design away from Obsidian; they're just ensuring that a quality game is made. Hope I'm not being too subtle.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
On a completely unrelated note, Sawyer is starting to annoy me with his hipster bicycle religion. From a likable geek he has transformed to a fucking hipster, full of hipster tattoos, hipster eyewearand, hipster bicycles. While I like most of the things he says, I also want to punch him in the face.

You are perfectly fine and shouldn't seek help.

Tigranes

Arcane
The great thing about QA is that is can mean such a wide range of things. It doesn't just mean bug-checking; it also means design advice.

Again, you're not arguing a hard point. They played this card extremely well, and all of it can be hand-waved away as a mere publishing deal -- sorry, distribution deal. After all, it's not like they're taking any control over design away from Obsidian; they're just ensuring that a quality game is made. Hope I'm not being too subtle.

You mean Paradox doing QA is just a front for what is in reality using QA to force major design decisions on Obsidian? Wow, that's totally something that is not just technically possible, but something probably true as divined from the information we have on hand! That's right, we all know that the most reasonable interpretation of company X making a deal with company Y for Q&A is that company Y will now act like a a full-fledged publisher which funds the devleoper entirely and has power of life and death over them! Hope I'm not, you know, laying it on too thick with the common sense.

Goegoff

Educated

BAdler said:
QA responsibilities will be split between both companies. Obsidian has a dedicated QA lead for the project and will be hiring some additional QA in the coming months. Paradox will also be providing a slew of testers for the game.

We are running the QA process on our side (including full control over the issue database). The main changes are that Paradox will handle the QA for things like localization and compatibility testing - things that Obsidian would have to outsource anyways.

We are used to working with testing groups from around the world, so I don't expect that there will be many extra inefficiencies. Although, time delays always cause some inefficiencies.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So, was this the "secret project"? If there was a new game, wouldn't it be revealed by now? It's not like Obsidian is going to get a press conference.

kaizoku

Arcane
Those portraits look damn fine.

Makes me sad I didn't/couldn't back at the $3000+ level.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Look at Sawyer's system tray in Windows. He has like 19 icons down there. I have 7. His system probably runs like shit.

Josh, MSCONFIG. Learn it, use it, love it.

deuxhero

Arcane
Those portraits look damn fine.

Yep. The BG portraits were pretty damn terrible looking (it looks like someone painted over an existing picture... which wouldn't surprise me given how Bioware had to patch NWN because they did exactly that and the Tali thing) while these are pretty nice, they look like someone was used as a model, not had their picture painted over.

Aumaua look way better than the last image I seen of them, of the mage or whatever. Wasn't really interested in the race at first but now they seem like sometihng I might like playing, name still sucks though.

uaciaut

Augur
On a completely unrelated note, Sawyer is starting to annoy me with his hipster bicycle religion. From a likable geek he has transformed to a fucking hipster, full of hipster tattoos, hipster eyewearand, hipster bicycles. While I like most of the things he says, I also want to punch him in the face.

To me, the funniest difference between Scandinavia and the rest of the world is how you're a hipster in the rest of the world if you own a bicycle. If you don't own one in Scandinavia, you're a hipster here.

There are more places where it's common to own a bike, isn't Amsterdam like full of them?

kaizoku

Arcane
Yeah they're shark people now? P. badass.

Josh has been watching One Piece and Naruto, so yeah...

Fishmen_Infobox.png

4inNK0N.png

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity

What makes you think Obsidian were in a position where they had to give up some of their control over development? You mean they've already spent the $4 million and have no more money to back it up? Or that they let greed trump their desire to make a dream game?

Isn't it pretty likely they just want someone to do testing and marketing for them?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

What makes you think Obsidian were in a position where they had to give up some of their control over development? You mean they've already spent the $4 million and have no more money to back it up? Or that they let greed trump their desire to make a dream game?

Isn't it pretty likely they just want someone to do testing and marketing for them?
A few reasons. First, $4 million is nothing in modern game development, especially for a long project. Second, it's pretty obvious that $4 million is even more nothing when you also have to fulfill Kickstarter pledges, hire more QA people, market, and distribute the game (i.e., normal publisher stuff). Third, why would they get a publisher when they could do it all independently and keep 100% of the profits?

They don't have a lot of money. They started running low, so they found a way to make ends meet. This meant finding a publisher.

Really, it doesn't matter. Running out of money like this is common, and I'm really only harping on it because everybody bashed Tim Schafer for running through his $3.5 mil or whatever -- and also making ends meet. He was just more honest about it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As someone who plays the "running out of money" card quite often, this isn't it.

Delbaeth

Learned
Does it mean that Paradox could be involved with rewards distribution for the future OE KS?

Xeon

Augur
If Paradox and Obsidian ends up with no problems after the game is released, they will probably extend the partnership for future games I think.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
A few reasons. First, $4 million is nothing in modern game development, especially for a long project.

They've been in production for less than two years. Say 15% goes to Kickstarter/Amazon/etc. Also assume they have been 10 people on the project on average.

4,000,000 * 0.85 = 3,400,000
3,400,000 / 24 (months) ~= 141,667
141,667 / 10 (people) ~= 14,167

$14k sounds way above the average monthly salary for a game developer.

These rough calculations omit a lot of stuff, and prove nothing, of course, but they make the budget seem reasonable to me. Am I being naive?

Third, why would they get a publisher when they could do it all independently and keep 100% of the profits?

Because they need professional marketers and QA and have none internally?

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Kickstarter money probably also goes for engine and tools, some voice acting maybe, music and probably arts too because they said it was very expensive to make somewhere I think.

Physical rewards also which is probably being paid for by Paradox now.

Krash

Arcane
Yep. The BG portraits were pretty damn terrible looking (it looks like someone painted over an existing picture... which wouldn't surprise me given how Bioware had to patch NWN because they did exactly that and the Tali thing) while these are pretty nice, they look like someone was used as a model, not had their picture painted over.

I'm pretty sure at least some of them are paint overs actually. Still think they look fine. I made the mistake of checking by googling "baldurs gate 2 portrait inspiration" though, don't do that.

hiver

Look at Sawyer's system tray in Windows. He has like 19 icons down there. I have 7. His system probably runs like shit.

Josh, MSCONFIG. Learn it, use it, love it.
yeah Crispy, Josh Sawyer has problems with hardware. You can bet.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's been over 24 hours, where is the photoshopped Crusader Kings 2 marriage screenshot between Paradox and Obsidian?

The cursor should of course highlight the option "It is everyone's concern (+1000 Jew Gold)".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom