Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #74: Wizards and Druids + Paradox Distribution Deal

Rake

Arcane
why they hell would you need a publisher for that.

Paradox is only handling physical distribution as far as I understand. But, Logic Artists told us that publishers usually have direct lines to Steam where developers have to submit their games to stuff like Greenlight or other channels with very little actual feedback from Valve as to whether or not their product will end up on there. When Logic Artists went through BitComposer, their game was approved for Steam almost instantly. Dunno if the same is true for Obsidian, but you asked.
I don't think that would affect Obsidian. I think that if you have released something on Steam, you are set and you can released anything else with no problems and jumping hooks.
Obsidian has a ton of games on Steam. Sure, they weren't the "publisers", but it would be a very boneheaded move from Valve to make them go through Greenlight.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Paradox, huh?

I am really looking forward to the first bunch of DLC PoE will receive 'Shield Crest Pack' looks especially promising - I always wanted my paladin to sport a trollface on his shield, and 'Melody of The Forest' theme would actually sound really great while exploring vast woods of the continent (never mind, these were cut from the game). And of course who could resist the urge to get 'Mellowyn the Elven Chantress' into his/her party, and of course I am buying the 'Character Export Tool' which will allow me to continue playing with my hero in PoE2. It's only $19.99 after all.

I actually don't mind Obsidian pairing up with Paradox, but this is just too easy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Paradox is only handling physical distribution as far as I understand. But, Logic Artists told us that publishers usually have direct lines to Steam where developers have to submit their games to stuff like Greenlight or other channels with very little actual feedback from Valve as to whether or not their product will end up on there. When Logic Artists went through BitComposer, their game was approved for Steam almost instantly. Dunno if the same is true for Obsidian, but you asked.
I don't think that would affect Obsidian. I think that if you have released something on Steam, you are set and you can released anything else with no problems and jumping hooks.
Obsidian has a ton of games on Steam. Sure, they weren't the "publisers", but it would be a very boneheaded move from Valve to make them go through Greenlight.

I'd agree, just sayin'.

hiver

Well, it is Obsidian. I really doubt they would have to use Greenlight. Especially for PoE.
But, its probably a part of the deal since paradox wont charge anything from Obs for physical boxes distribution and handling, but instead take some percentage of revenue - thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

Then again, we are talking about someone who signed that deal with bethesda...

Rake

Arcane

I'd agree, just sayin'.
I know, this wasn't strictly for you. Quoting you was just convenient

Project: Eternity
Is Paradox on GOG?

Paradox has decided to never publish Paradox Development Studios games outside of Steam again because non-Steam purchases were "only 5%", according to them, obvious bullshit, and I suspect they removed their old games catalogues from DRM-free digital stores in a total dick move, but not certain, and they try to push the same Steam exclusive shit to everything they publish. They also are the EA of niche genres, DLC milkers extraordinaire and a shitty monopoly holder in the niche of Grand Strategy.

Not that I care about Dragon Age: Sawyer Edition.

:troll:
They removed CK2 from gamers gate.

bloodlover

Arcane
Does Steam have the same bs policy of selling the same game at different prices depending on the area?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well, it is Obsidian. I really doubt they would have to use Greenlight. Especially for PoE.
But, its probably a part of the deal since paradox wont charge anything from Obs for physical boxes distribution and handling, but instead take some percentage of revenue - thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

That deal is common with independent developers.

Not like you have much of a choice.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does Steam have the same bs policy of selling the same game at different prices depending on the area?
What do you mean? It uses different currencies depending on the area if that's why you are thinking. Euro in the EU, pound in GB, and dollar in the US.

Gord

Arcane
What do you mean? It uses different currencies depending on the area if that's why you are thinking. Euro in the EU, pound in GB, and dollar in the US.

Steam has regional pricing, yes, not only in terms of currency, but in absolute prices, too.

Edit: This site can be used to compare different regions. Also has a "Top rip-offs" category.

hiver

You always have a choice.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You always have a choice.

Yep.

If you want to risk doing so.

It's not the developer holding much of a say in contract negotiations. Even if the choice may not be losing the contract, it might as well be *This is the only sort of bonus we will give you*.

Of course, its easier now for Obsidian to say *We don't do these contracts anymore* now that they have alternative revenue streams (And have a game of their own coming out in a year). But, yeah.

I also doubt the metacritic score is the worst thing publishers are fucking devs on in contracts.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looking forward to all the $1,99 portraits for Bugs: The Game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
On a completely unrelated note, Sawyer is starting to annoy me with his hipster bicycle religion. From a likable geek he has transformed to a fucking hipster, full of hipster tattoos, hipster eyewearand, hipster bicycles. While I like most of the things he says, I also want to punch him in the face.

Hormalakh

Magister
that's like half of the codex, ghostdog. partially, due to Roguey, i'll admit, but some people just can't handle Sawyer's mannerisms. if sawyer were here, he'd say "soz"

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This is definitely an interesting development - I wasn't expecting them to get a publisher for Eternity, but if they're going to partner with someone, I'd much rather it be Paradox than someone like EA or Bethesda.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
On a completely unrelated note, Sawyer is starting to annoy me with his hipster bicycle religion. From a likable geek he has transformed to a fucking hipster, full of hipster tattoos, hipster eyewearand, hipster bicycles. While I like most of the things he says, I also want to punch him in the face.

To me, the funniest difference between Scandinavia and the rest of the world is how you're a hipster in the rest of the world if you own a bicycle. If you don't own one in Scandinavia, you're a hipster here.

Monty

Arcane
To me, the funniest difference between Scandinavia and the rest of the world is how you're a hipster in the rest of the world if you own a bicycle. If you don't own one in Scandinavia, you're a hipster here.
So Scandinavian hipsters use unicycles?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
more evidence for my theory that kickstarter is just a plot by publishers to publish without investing their money first.

edit
also, Sawyer used the word "grimoire" several times in this update, i foresee a lawsuit incoming from you-know-who

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Druids look cool.

Glad they are outsourcing the distribution. It is an easy thing to fuck up.

Not much else to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom