Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #69: Pledge Management Portal, Gameplay Teaser, Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks glorious.

So it's definite that this is RtwP and Torment is TB? I don't follow the megathreads.

Yes.

Suicidal

Arcane
Project: Eternity would have worked as a name if the plot was about some (evil) wizard that wanted eternal life.

As for the trailer itself - I'm hyped as fuck. The spell effects look a bit meh, but not bad, really. I also found the music kinda nice at the begging, but it got worse at around 0:50. Still better than Dragon Age music, though. I have nothing against fantasy orchestral music, but I found DA's extremely bland and forgettable. Most of the time I didn't even notice it on the background.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014

Wizfall

Cipher
Very impressed.
Looks perfect to me, character model included.
However if the gameplay is bad....also i was extremely impressed by the W2 first video but the more i think about the second one the more i find it awful (writing/quest even location design) so everything can change so fast.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Love it. I remember replaying ToEE a few years ago, before the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, and thinking "I'd absolutely love to see new cRPGs done in this style, shame it won't ever happen, though".

Glad I was wrong.

Well, except the Real-CRAP with Pause & KOOLaids-downs part.

:troll:

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Guys imagine if Obsidian made a similar poll about turn-based vs. real-time combat and turn-based won. Imagine the butthurt.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno why everyone is complaining about the animations...shit, has any RPG ever had good animations? Even most ARPG's are stilted and shitty with one or two exceptions. FYI the animations are pretty good considering the game has only just started proper production. Codex will complain about every fucking thing....:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Like I said in the megathread, they should have put up a "WARNING: ALPHA-QUALITY ANIMATIONS" disclaimer in the description.

There's a damn good reason game journalists got to see a huge chunk of gameplay we didn't. As dumb as they are, they understand work-in-progress in ways the public-at-large doesn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly didn't see anything wrong with the animations.

It is a bit weird that they run; I'm used to the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale leisurely saunter. But you can get used to that.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They're not great.

The spell FX are worse though.

I've seen quite a few people complain about the music. The choir is actually really good (Sawyer wrote that), but I have to agree that the music is okay at best. It's pretty dynamic/well recorded afaik but yeah I dunno, it just feels incomplete / off. The drums could be way more interesting tonally.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It is a bit weird that they run; I'm used to the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale leisurely saunter. But you can get used to that.
Characters stand completely still when they're not doing anything, no hit reactions, the ogre hitting that guy with the club looked strange, which is probably the reason why they always seemed to cut away when melee combat was about the start.

IE animations were pretty basic but it was acceptable because the character models were too. More detailed models require more detailed animations, though they can alleviate some of it with floating damage numbers. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Characters stand completely still when they're not doing anything, no hit reactions, the ogre hitting that guy with the club looked strange, which is probably the reason why they always seemed to cut away when melee combat was about the start.

IE animations were pretty basic but it was acceptable because the character models were too. More detailed models require more detailed animations.

*shrug* They're not "bad" animations, then, they're just incomplete.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They are a bit stiff. Mind you, not worse than IE games, but the difference is that both the backgrounds and the characters are much better looking than in IE games, so the stiff animations are more jarring because of that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They're not great.

The spell FX are worse though.

I've seen quite a few people complain about the music. The choir is actually really good (Sawyer wrote that), but I have to agree that the music is okay at best. It's pretty dynamic/well recorded afaik but yeah I dunno, it just feels incomplete / off. The drums could be way more interesting tonally.
Although I don't want them to copy the music of BG/IWD entirely, those scores had a unique feel to them. And the trailer music is not like that. They should try to capture the IE feeling not just in looks, but in sound design.
The beginning of the trailer music is kinda unique with its choir, but I almost thought it was ripped from Ghost in the Shell's opening theme(I don't know, I felt some similarities). Then the rest of the trailer music was generic fantasy music. I think that the problem is that it wants to be big, epic, hence the big orchestra.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The should avoid Inon Zur like the plague. Go to DA for that noise.

imweasel

Sawyer only wrote the lyrics for the choir.

"An error occurred processing your order. Please try again later."

I tried a couple of times today and that's all I'm getting. Is the site struggling with the traffic right now, or is it just me? Does anyone else have problems managing their pledge?

jdinatale

Cipher
Recall that Bethesda has a special talent for creating truly hideous animations, and yet Morrowind is a consensus top 10 RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom