Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II releasing on April 3rd, at least three DLC expansions planned

Sentinel

Arcane
Hey man give him a discount, he's too busy fellating Sawyer & Co. to pay attention to other, proper, RPGs.

Sizzle

Arcane
Hey man give him a discount, he's too busy fellating Sawyer & Co. to pay attention to other, proper, RPGs.

Dude, seriously, what happened to you? As far as I can tell, you used to like PoE1 (and Obsidian), in the past, at least a little bit.

Then you took a 180° turn, and now you stalk every PoE2 thread, arbitrarily rating shit/retarded even posts that seem to indicate that the sequel will be better (at least in some aspects), and constantly saying how everything will be shit, just you wait!

Do you even want to play it? Because if not, and not that I'm telling you what you should do, but wouldn't that energy and time be better spent on something you actually think you'd genuinely enjoy?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But you can already see roaming world travel in the recent demo. It is even more free than what Bg1 had because shit happens between areas as well that are not just random generic encounters.

What I meant by "free roaming" is an open world where you can visit all or most locations in any order (they don't need to be unlocked by plot events and only then you can click on them). Even if the game does have that though, my point still stands. The game seems likely not to be a Baldur's Gate-y experience where you have large detailed locations packed with sidequests, because it'll be stretched too thin to have that much content in one place.

Dude, seriously, what happened to you? As far as I can tell, you used to like PoE1 (and Obsidian), in the past, at least a little bit.

Then you took a 180° turn, and now you stalk every PoE2 thread, arbitrarily rating shit/retarded even posts that seem to indicate that the sequel will be better (at least in some aspects), and constantly saying how everything will be shit, just you wait!

Do you even want to play it? Because if not, and not that I'm telling you what you should do, but wouldn't that energy and time be better spent on something you actually think you'd genuinely enjoy?

Haha you're wrong, he's always done both.

ArchAngel

Arcane
But you can already see roaming world travel in the recent demo. It is even more free than what Bg1 had because shit happens between areas as well that are not just random generic encounters.

What I meant by "free roaming" is an open world where you can visit all or most locations in any order (they don't need to be unlocked by plot events and only then you can click on them). Even if the game does have that though, my point still stands. The game seems likely not to be a Baldur's Gate-y experience where you have large detailed locations packed with sidequests, because it'll be stretched too thin to have that much content in one place.

Haha you're wrong, he's always done both.
Well neither of BG1 or BG2 were true open world, you could not access all areas until you furthered the story. PoE1 also didn't offer this option and I doubt PoE 2 will.

I don't expect PF:KM to be true open world as well, I just hope it is close to Bg1 or Bg2. At least closer then PoE1.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

? I still like PoE. What I don't like is people promoting re-reviews of games to shift public opinion on them, shamelessly showing their bias by not doing the same to other titles (DOS: EE for example). I already said plenty of times what I liked about PoE.
I was hoping they'd fix my gripes with it in the sequel, but instead the lead writer leaves, and the shit tier writing team from Tyranny joins in. Add to that the fact that none of the gameplay systems were fixed or improved, instead they just piled up more shit on top and removed good stuff from PoE (ie vancian casting), and what do you expect? Me to be hyped? No, thanks.

Now, if you're butthurt about me rating your post mocking D&D "shit", that's a-whole-nother deal. Just don't go around trying to guess what I think. I'll keep following Obsidian threads and games, because Obsidian have made my favourite RPGs of all time, so I will probably have remains of hope for some years to come.

Sizzle

Arcane
Now, if you're butthurt about me rating your post mocking D&D "shit", that's a-whole-nother deal. Just don't go around trying to guess what I think. I'll keep following Obsidian threads and games, because Obsidian have made my favourite RPGs of all time, so I will probably have remains of hope for some years to come.

No, no, rate away, I don't care about that :D

I was just a bit worried for you - that you may have gone full-Sensuki :D

Quillon

Arcane
I still like PoE. What I don't like is people promoting re-reviews of games to shift public opinion on them, shamelessly showing their bias by not doing the same to other titles

Its no one's fault if PoE's 5th review gets more attention than prolly anything else around here.

Sentinel

Arcane

No, no, rate away, I don't care about that :D

I was just a bit worried for you - that you may have gone full-Sensuki :D
Sensuki did nothing wrong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Re: Pathfinder

I've worked with the game's developers on finalizing the Codex backer content and other things, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

But I will say this: I believe the thing that should worry you most about it is that they have to cover a six chapter pen-and-paper adventure path in a single game. And it's the first RPG they've ever made! I think it's not unlikely that the game will end up feeling Storm of Zehir-ish, content stretched tight with the player hopping from small area to small area.

I never paid much attention to it till now, but six books at 96 pages each? Temple of Elemental Evil was 128 and it needed more than the 19 months it got. Good luck with that. :M

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
At Obsidian, we are all about stories, worlds, and characters.
Stories written like modern forgettable fan fiction drivel, with a female ezquimos talking like a college age grill, and Tyrannies "bronze age" midgets out of a saturday morning Korra cartoon. And Pallegina. Oh yes. Pallegina.

DeepOcean

Arcane
But the adventure path itself doesn't play at all like Baldur's Gate, it plays alot like someone made an alternate version of Dragon Age Inquisition where it was a good game, everything is tied to the kingdom mechanic, you get on a clearing and find two wyverns with a nest on a island on a river, you go there and kill both, this would be some generic encounter on something like Baldur's Gate but on the adventure path, things go beyond that...

Time passes, and a peasant will come to you and ask you to build a village on that place where the wyverns lived because it has drinking water and good access to the land, if you say yes, resources will be subtracted from your kingdom and a new village will be founded in there, you will find this NPC having an inn on the village but there is no quest there. Later on the campaign, enemy forces attack the kingdom and one of the possible places of attack is this village you built.

Kingmaker is very different from an usual storyfag rpg like Baldur's Gate, the story is more background than a driving force for really open RPG gameplay, only going harder on the story by the last two books.

frajaq

Erudite
Where is this quote that the White March DLCs was a net loss for Obsidian?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where is this quote that the White March DLCs was a net loss for Obsidian?

There is no quote, but you can try to draw conclusions from this SEC filing from early last year: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10578

Do you really think White March cost them more than two million to make? That seems very unlikely since they already had the base game. Given that they were patching Pillars as part of White March, they could assign those costs to whichever project would give them the most beneficial tax treatment.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah I don't see how they lost more than a small amount on the White March DLC, total cost cannot be much more than 2 million all things considered, and the long tail on that DLC is going to be massive. Considering the base game was funded almost entirely with Kickstarter money according to Jason's book, the cost of the expansions can't be that much higher than making the game.

Over time it will slowly steal more and more revenue every time there is a sale or an ounce of publicity. It probably broke even at the time and is going to earn Obsidian 2-3 million over the next 5-10 years.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Wake me up if/when PoE2 turned out to be at least decent game...

a random Russkie game studio

Sorry, they are not that random, look at games they participated, that's a freaking good games.
I even made thread about Evil Islands.

Anyway, sjw-shit is strong in that Pathfinder Cuckmaker, I'll better watch from afar.

Pallegina

Oh yeah! Pallegina-feathervagina...

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
pre ordered just to piss all the haters
pillows.png

also it's cheap af in indonesian marketplace like <20 USD and i got around 7 USD in my wallet from selling steam cards so i really got it for the price of a large pizza hut with cheesy crust

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom