Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity II Previews - Ship System Details, Console Release

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Essentially I'm all in for this one, even though POE wasn't that great , just waiting to see if my country's retarded distributor will release a box edition with oldschool manual like they did for POE1 and Tyranny. However I can't overlook the fact that those ship encounters look way too "text game ancient" for something that will probably take place dozens of times during gameplay. Seems repetitive, and I just can't shake the feeling, that it will play out like town visits in Darklands, where you skim over the text and just go 3,2,4,1,1,2 or something like that, once you've seen that encounter a dozen times already.

Rev

Arcane
Do we know how the first one sold on console?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
Probably enough to get back the porting money and make some extra buck, but that's it. I'd be surprised if both console versions together sold more than 100-200k copies.

Sizzle

Arcane
Dumb down Nantucket/BG2 rip-off, but with better graphics.

Hi, Lurker King. We missed your unique brand of tryhard, uninformed retardation in these PoE threads, glad you finally worked up the courage to post in one again :lol:

Now, please, tell us how BG2 had F:NV-style factions and skillchecks, I'm sure everyone is dying to hear what you think about Age of Decadence Dungeon Rats The New World this game, and compare it to Age of Decadence all those other games you've played :D

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Where the hell did that ridiculous habit of interrupting a nice gameplay footage with some dudes face come from? ;x

Last edited:
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Hi, Lurker King. We missed your unique brand of tryhard, uninformed retardation in these PoE threads, glad you finally worked up the courage to post in one again :lol:

Now, please, tell us how BG2 had F:NV-style factions and skillchecks, I'm sure everyone is dying to hear what you think about Age of Decadence Dungeon Rats The New World this game, and compare it to Age of Decadence all those other games you've played :D
Hi! I missed your butthurt too, but you are not important enough to justify a more detailed reply.

Sizzle

Arcane

Hi! I missed your butthurt too, but you are not important enough to justify a more detailed reply.

Not that you could give one, but nice attempt at deflecting :D

Still, carry on. At least until your next self-ejaculation ejection :lol:

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Lurker king? More like nerd virgin king??

sin

Educated
The whole idea of seafaring seemed a little bit strange at the first glance, but somehow, it has started to appeal to me. To be honest I am even looking forward to wear my captain's cap and become a pirating terror of archipelago with a bottle of rum in hand while listening to Running Wild.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The whole idea of seafaring seemed a little bit strange at the first glance, but somehow, it has started to appeal to me. To be honest I am even looking forward to wear my captain's cap and become a pirating terror of archipelago with a bottle of rum in hand while listening to Running Wild.
I agree. After all... why not! It is something different.

But indeed - main game RTwP, ship combat turn based is weird as hell.
Understandable, as the engine was obviously not made to handle something like big moving ships moving on the ocean in battle in realtime, but still weird.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's one of the basic building blocks of good popular entertainment. You need pirates, knights, or spaceships for something to be truly great (hence the success of the original Star Wars, which effectively had all three). Two out of three ain't bad, although they don't necessarily stack (witness Cowboys & Aliens).

I agree. After all... why not! It is something different.

But indeed - main game RTwP, ship combat turn based is weird as hell.
Understandable, as the engine was obviously not made to handle something like big moving ships moving on the ocean in battle in realtime, but still weird.

Yeah, Sawyer is way too committed to realism for him to make good RTwP ship to ship combat, at least in this franchise. Wind direction, wind speed, the effectiveness of the crew--it would be a whole additional game. Why bother remaking Sid Meier's Pirates? The CYOA style environmental interactions from the first game seem like a decent substitute and he's right that it's a good proxy for the lack of control in a sea fight.

I would love it if, when you're on land, they'd let you call down canon fire from the ship, as long as you're within sight and within range. But that might be too overpowered.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
This website has ruined my perception of Sawyer
He did well enough with New Vegas... and look what he had to work with:
make_the_best_of_things.png

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I heard him speak for the first time in the Pillars Kickstarter video, and he seemed pretty cool then. I admit I was even inspired. But now every time he opens his mouth I can't help but think he's just smug, self-righteous, and intellectually vapid. I bet he's an okay guy in person, though.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Where the hell did that ridiculous habit of interrupting a nice gameplay footage with some dudes face come from? ;x

Classic TV pushing celebrity promotion above actual product quality. Talking heads are coming back to media, because they allow for self-promotion of such celebrities and would-bes, quite important in competitiveness of streaming era.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I loved the White March 1+2 and this looks like it might be even better. Something akin to the original Uncharted Waters sea exploration, together with Infinity Engine and Darklands looks like a promising combination. More factions reactivity and companions with hopefully more character - good ideas, if they can pull it off.

The only downside I see are the 5 characters instead of 6 - a weird choice.

imweasel

He embraces the caricature.

Libtards that voluntarily clean up the gene pool by refusing to breed and running to abortion clinics makes me feel all fuzzy inside.
TrumpYes.png

The world will be much better off without these egocentric, pseudo-intellectual, commie retards and their potential offspring.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I heard him speak for the first time in the Pillars Kickstarter video, and he seemed pretty cool then. I admit I was even inspired. But now every time he opens his mouth I can't help but think he's just smug, self-righteous, and intellectually vapid. I bet he's an okay guy in person, though.

Pretty much everyone in California at least sounds like that. But they can turn out to be helpful and good natured anyway.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I loved the White March 1+2 and this looks like it might be even better. Something akin to the original Uncharted Waters sea exploration, together with Infinity Engine and Darklands looks like a promising combination. More factions reactivity and companions with hopefully more character - good ideas, if they can pull it off.

The only downside I see are the 5 characters instead of 6 - a weird choice.

The Pillars equivalents to Barbarians, Rangers, Fighters, Paladins, Rogues, and Monks are all far more micro intensive than D&D 2nd Edition (where they were mostly on autopilot). They dropped a character to compensate for the added buttons the player has to click to get their party to work efficiently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom