Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II gets full voice acting

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IWD is a combat romp with a whole lot less dialogue and a custom-made party utilizing merely functional voice sound bytes that were essentially just SFX. They could as easily have been animal noises.

PoE features a voiced cast of numerous hand-crafted protagonist companions and is supposed to be a dialogue-heavy, full-fledged RPG.

If anything, you're just reinforcing the point you're mocking, because that's exactly what people fear: Heavier VO begets a likelihood to be more like IWD, which was light on the dialogue and C&C and heavy on the combat.
The companions' dialogues being fully voiced is the least of the problems with full VO, as I've demonstrated.

What I am mocking is the attitude that "fully voiced = popamole, the end is nigh".

There is the ingame option to turn off the VA. So you don't have to listen to it, if you don't want to.
Are you dumb or pretending to be dumb? No one arguing against full VO is against ALL VO. "Turn your voice slider to zero" is not a solution to "I'm annoyed by everyone having VO".

fobia

Maybe I am, because I really don't see that NPC that repeat themselves are that big of a problem. The phrase of the merchant or whatever in your example will hopefully be something along the lines of "How can I be of service?" and not "Welcome, friend, I hope you were sailing on smooth waves! How was the weather in Rumanuma? I myself feel much better in the mild climates of Nekataka. Well now. How can I help you?".

The other ones might overlap, agreed. But I wouldn't make a point of it, that the game would've been better without it, before its release. Who knows, maybe Obsidian themselves thought of it. If not, they seem willing to patch stuff that bothers people, in some cases even if it's minorities.
That NPCs have something like daily routines might prevent that as well.

I know I never got sick of the banter in Khorinis, despite playing Gothic II NotR countless times. And it was always the same mumbled sentences. Khorinis still felt livelier for it. And boy did it overlap sometimes, especially in the... whatever Hafenviertel is called in English... dock area? Whatever. Game wasn't worse for it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe I am, because I really don't see that NPC that repeat themselves are that big of a problem. The phrase of the merchant or whatever in your example will hopefully be something along the lines of "How can I be of service?" and not "Welcome, friend, I hope you were sailing on smooth waves! How was the weather in Rumanuma? I myself feel much better in the mild climates of Nekataka. Well now. How can I help you?".
Judging by PoE, merchant's phrases were short, so let's keep fingers crossed, because it is attested that dialogues were *not* written with VO in mind.

Speaking of which, what happened to the BG/BGII (also used for merchants in PoE) style of voicing NPCs where the NPC is voiced saying one phrase while the dialogue window shows different text? I suppose this was being done for economy, but I think it was working very well. "The seas are sure rough this time of year!", "Greetings traveler! A pearl to you!", stuff like that.

Random NPCs recurring conversations could be patched by reducing the probability of these conversations firing, or removing the VO. This would require some campaigning on Obsidian's forums however.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no reason to believe that the money that went into VA would've been spent on other features otherwise, so no reason to believe it has a negative influence on the gameplay.
I rest my case.
Pretty weak case. On a crowdfunded project, why would supporters not expect their money to go to the game? Why should they not feel entitled to an opinion on budget allocation?
"We decided to spend $400,000 buying golden crowns for everyone on staff to increase morale and get you a better game. We wouldn't have spent that money on art, design, or scripting anyway so there's no reason to complain."

AwesomeButton

Patron
You may be forgetting that this is a project with investors, as well as backers.

"The decision to do this amount of VO was made at the owner level" :M

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You may be forgetting that this is a project with investors, as well as backers.

Sometimes I regret the need to stand by my principles and not request cancerous bloatware post rating buttons. There are peaks and valleys in my resolve.

This is one of those valley times when I dearly wish I had the "rolleyes" rating, not necessarily directed at you specifically, but at the notion of "investors" as pertains to Fig's business model et al.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, shit fire and save matches. I was too busy juicing up on vaccines to enhance my autism for Factorio this weekend, thereby failing to notice this news item and cash in on the first-page Brofist harvest.

The tale of Pillocks of SJWternity II: [INSERT LAZY FANTASY-THEMED COMPOUND WORD HERE] has been a dark and dismal one. Each successive piece of news about the game—including its title—has been worse than the news that preceded it....

...but this has TOTALLY redeemed the game in my eyes! Why, just the other day, I thought to myself: "Self, you know what I really want to see in PoSJW2:ILFTCWH? Full voice acting. That would be choice."

What sjw content deadfire have?

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have never bothered to do research on what part of the fig collected money is from fig investors, but I think it goes without saying that the company owners are big investors in Deadfire at this point.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

We'll find out in due time, I suppose.

There are SJWs on staff, that much is certain. Expecting their taint not to manifest itself in some way is like expecting Scientologists not to inject Scientology into everything, vegans not to talk about veganism every three seconds, etc.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Honest question - why should a game designer's political views be a problem, if they are not leaking into the content of the games he is working on?

One of the conclusions I've drawn from reading trivia on games and movies is that I'm better off knowing as little as possible about the people who make them, act in, or direct them.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

We'll find out in due time, I suppose.

There are SJWs on staff, that much is certain. Expecting their taint not to manifest itself in some way is like expecting Scientologists not to inject Scientology into everything, vegans not to talk about veganism every three seconds, etc.

In tyranny lesbian npc at lethians crossing. In poe bi companion(maneha written by sjw left-wing extremist and race traitor Carrie Patel) and strong independant reverse gender/sex role companion(Sagani i hunt for my family because reasons i guess). In deadfire probably bisexual shark-boy takehu who is sexual degenerate and promiscuous probably.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Honest question - why should a game designer's political views be a problem, if they are not leaking into the content of the games he is working on?

One of the conclusions I've drawn from reading trivia on games and movies is that I'm better off knowing as little as possible about the people who make them, act in, or direct them.

Honest answer they are incorporating it into their wrting. The only artist who doesnt do that(in general and in music) is quorthon from bathory who is not nordic nationalist but writes about scandinavia muythology folklore paganism etc....

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

They aren't, if they don't. If I don't see them, then I don't care.

In tyranny lesbian npc at lethians crossing. In poe bi companion(maneha written by sjw left-wing extremist and race traitor Carrie Patel) and strong independant reverse gender/sex role companion(Sagani i hunt for my family because reasons i guess). In deadfire probably bisexual shark-boy takehui who is sexual degenerate and promiscuous probably.

Some is fine; blatant, in-your-face shoehorning and preachiness isn't. When 75%+ of the multiple portrayed romances in a game are homosexual, for example, and the game isn't a gay dating sim, then their agenda is showing. If transsexuals run around telling everyone they used to have a penis? Same thing. Real-life transsexuals (who aren't Tumblr snowflakes) typically would greatly prefer to pass unnoticed and forget about their original sex entirely, for example.

Getting back to "investment" for a moment, an investment is only successful if, through dividends, you eventually recoup the initial outlay and start turning a profit within a reasonable time frame with respect to the type of investment. Does anyone more familiar with the matter know if the Fig model is expected to ever recoup the investors' outlay and then turn them even a minuscule profit?

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Getting back to "investment" for a moment, an investment is only successful if, through dividends, you eventually recoup the initial outlay and start turning a profit within a reasonable time frame with respect to the type of investment. Does anyone more familiar with the matter know if the Fig model is expected to ever recoup the investors' outlay and then turn them even a minuscule profit?

Feargus is wrong dos 2 sucsess is not based on VO but on pure luck in mainstream and being co op TB diablo really helps.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Feargus is wrong dos 2 sucsess is not based on VO but on pure luck in mainstream and being co op TB diablo really helps.

CAKZyRu.jpg

Codexers before W2 release: don't waste W2 money on graphics, Fargo. That's popamole.

Codexers after W2 release: W2 looks like shit, I want my money back.

Codexers before PoE2 release: VO is a waste of good money.

Wrong, everyone kept shitting on graphics.... from first screen to release
Even before the first screen, decisions were made based on backers feedback, including codexers. The universal consensus was that Inxile should save money to implement on content. Look how that turned out.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Full voice acting has always been a goal of a "streamlined RPG" I don't think we're going to see cool BG2 powerful items and classes on Poe2 just SJWism and balance.

Now when my negro female "paladin" tells me about (((gender identity))) I can have it fully voiced. Hurray.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Roguey finally tricked into giving out his gender.
And you don't even give me a "pride and accomplishment" brofist for revealing his sex. :lol:

Codexers before W2 release: don't waste W2 money on graphics, Fargo. That's popamole.

Codexers after W2 release: W2 looks like shit, I want my money back.

Codexers before PoE2 release: VO is a waste of good money.

W2 is ugly,but the bigger problem was how boring the game was. Graphics and VO are not really that important,you could fix the problem by scaling your graphic options to minimal and resolution to 800x640. VO could be just muted and play some music on winamp that suits the game. Now shitty and boring games don't have simple fixes.

Thonius

Arcane
Wrong, everyone kept shitting on graphics.... from first screen to release
Even before the first screen, decisions were made based on backers feedback, including codexers. The universal consensus was that Inxile should save money to implement on content. Look how that turned out.
Yeah but when people actually saw screen they saw lack of style, lack of just about anything... in my book for example Underail graphic > Wasteland 2.
You can make graphic cheap and look nice...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom