Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity II Gameplay Footage on IGN E3 2017 Broadcast + Josh Sawyer Interview at PCGamesN

Comte

Dat water. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Is it me, or does Josh seem much more enthusiastic about this sequel than he did about the original?
He's on better meds now

man the game is absolutely fucking beautiful to look at. I mean its almost worth it to me to get it just for that reason. Obsidian art department is top notch. I would be so fucking happy if this game was like NWN where people could create their own 'modules' or whatever. If somebody were churning out D&D 1st, 2nd or 3ed edition ( I prefer 1st myself, but obviously that will never happen) 'modules' using this engine I would happily pay $60 for each one and maybe never play anything else again. If they ported the turn based system from ToEE into I would probably start to weep non-stop for a good year.

Anyway, I wish so much that the underlying rule set and game design foundation to PoE had been done differently; I just can't enjoy it the way it is now, and its such a good looking game.

Wizfall

Cipher
One of the main issue is still unsolved : cities seems too desolated (not enough characters on screen/activities and not enough ambiance city sound) like in PoE, far from the greatness of BG1/2.
Not good for atmosphere imo, it killed Defiance Bay for me (boring...).
Too bad as otherwise it seems good.

Quantomas

Savant

Sentinel

Arcane
Did you even play PoE mate? Both those tunes are rehashed from the first game. Especially the second one, used to play all the fucking time.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
The game looks a remarkable improvement in every way from PoE 1. Hopefully the writing, story and characters will also be an improvement, its sorely needed.

I find everything else might improve, and notice, I said *might*, but this is one thing that will not change. It's going to be middle of the road, fearful and generic no matter what they do.

Quillon

Arcane
Ah, Baldurs Gate battle tunes. :) So they learned something from Tyranny.
Where's the new battle tune at? I think I only heard ported tunes from PoE.
In the video with no voice-over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH4jtMeAu5I

At 2:40 you have the standard PoE fare. The one that reminds me of BG is at 4:30. I guess it's in PoE as well but your hear mostly the other combat themes.

The one at 2:40 is named "Combat Boss", prolly derived from another piece in the game but only plays at one boss bottle in WM1. And the 4:30 one plays all the time like TheSentinel said.

I assume most of the music in the new vids are placeholders & expect there'll be new music mostly, they are good but I'm sick of many of them from too much repetition. Combat Boss track can stay tho :P

imweasel

I was worried that E3 2017 was going to end without a single live showing by a Real RPG™, but Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire has come through at the last minute

The shill-meter is getting off the charts here... Real RPG™ ? You are a fucking shill, a jew, and a Sawyerist dick-riding fanboy :shittydog::mixedemotions:

I hope you will enjoy your free copy, you cuck :lol:
Infagitron, Level 10 Obsidian shill and Level 6 Sawyer cock fondler. Skilled in the arts of SJW cuckness.

12987.jpg

The whole thing's got a BG2-esque high level campaign feel to it.
Nice name dropping. PoE 2 will of course have nearly nothing in common with the BG trilogy either.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
the codex really needs a new emoji just for these outrageous outbursts of shillary... I'd suggest something like this,

oKEDCDu.png
Shameless Shill x 3

Remove the background for extra incline.

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Goddamn it Obsidian, I thought after I was so bored with PoE I'd never get excited by any kind of continuation of it, but... but...
Given that BG 1 was rather boring to me and BG2 was - and is - an absolute blast, I can't seem to fight a faint glimmer of hope inside my soul... :negative:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

1:35 I know It's nowhere near the final version but that red vision for sneaking needs to be much more challenging. The guy basically sneak in front of him

I wonder if Obsidian could get in the game blink spell. Mage could blink behind the guy, pickpocket him and steal the items in the chest.

Sentinel

Arcane

1:35 I know It's nowhere near the final version but that red vision for sneaking needs to be much more challenging. The guy basically sneak in front of him

I wonder if Obsidian could get in the game blink spell. Mage could blink behind the guy, pickpocket him and steal the items in the chest.

fTsi5.png

STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! NOBODY BREAKS THE BALANCE ON MY WATCH!

Quillon

Arcane

Cast your fireball and sit your ass down. If anyone can blink it'll be a rogue.

Quantomas

Savant

What it really needs is the player to be able to lock the chest again and put the key back into the pocket of the owner. :cool:

Quantomas

Savant
What it really needs is the player to be able to lock the chest again and put the key back into the pocket of the owner. :cool:

And then player can make a bet for 1000000 coppers with that guy that the chest is empty. :cool:
Alternatively, you can take the map to update your journal, put the map back, don't steal anything and nobody be any the wiser how you figured the way to Poko Kohara.

Quantomas

Savant
Alternatively, you can take the map to update your journal, put the map back, don't steal anything and nobody be any the wiser how you figured the way to Poko Kohara.

And then you laugh, and laugh, and laugh.
The young'uns do not understand yet. Adults play different games. ;)

It's mostly like cRPGs like PoE haven't gone the full way yet and act totally cheesy. As if the owner of the chest couldn't count one and one together: a big ship shows up, the captain asks a lot about the expedition to Poko Kohara, and then the owner finds his map and items in the chest gone. Even if the thief is not caught mechanically, your reputation should go down, possibly not the full amount as there is a lingering doubt, but nearly as much. And tarnished reputation should penalize the player by honest NPCs not handing out vital information and quests, balanced my more dubious characters more likely to speak with you. Shady reputations and double-crossing galore!

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Oh Great Indibog Sawyer, I know I will be able to sail and fight round the world, but I have a question! Will I be able to sing and to create my boy band to keep me company on lonely winter nights?

Quillon

Arcane
Oh Great Indibog Sawyer, I know I will be able to sail and fight round the world, but I have a question! Will I be able to sing and to create my boy band to keep me company on lonely winter nights?

Sailing round the Deadfire arc. will make you wish for a nuclear winter.

Crew will sing when morale is high.

Ulfhednar

Savant

Sailing round the Deadfire arc. will make you wish for a nuclear winter.

Crew will sing when morale is high.
If you are implying that Deadfire will make me want to play WL3, then no...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom