Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #48: What's Next - Upcoming Patches and Free DLC

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 25, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

It's been a bit over two weeks since Pillars of Eternity II was released. The game's reception has generally been remarkably positive, marred mainly by complaints about companion writing and lack of difficulty, and concern over its seemingly underwhelming sales performance. Obsidian have plans to address at least one of those issues, first discussed in a post-release Josh Sawyer Q&A stream last week and detailed in today's Fig update, which lays out Deadfire's roadmap for the rest of the year. I quote:

The team at Obsidian is very proud of the reception that Deadfire is getting from the community, and we love reading and hearing your personal experiences as you explore the Deadfire for the first time. I would like to share what's in store for you in Pillars II over the next several months, including free content and new features!

The first large update for Deadfire will be launching in early June - Patch 1.1. This update contains hundreds of fixes and refinements based upon our internal testing and all the great feedback we have been getting.

Included in Patch 1.1 is a complete overhaul of Veteran and Path of the Damned difficulties. You'll find more enemies per encounter and with new level scaling adjustments the game should be much more challenging. Let us know what you think on the forums - this will be an ongoing process based on community feedback. Secondly, for players who want to play the game for a second (or third!) time, we are adding an option to skip the introduction and jump straight into the second scene. This option will be available on the new game screen and will not require any Berath's Blessings points to activate. Lastly, the team is also adding new cosmetic options for player customization with the ability to change character appearance at any time.

While our programmers get Patch 1.1 ready, some of our artists and designers have had some time on their hands. They've put together the first of several free DLCs for Deadfire, "Rum Runner's Pack" which is coming out today. This pack features Mirke, a new Sidekick, along with a drunken personality idle animation and new alcoholic drinks. We will be releasing even more free DLC over the next few months that will add more items, ship upgrades, crew members, and appearance options. Look for the next free DLC to be available two weeks from now.

Just like the first Pillars of Eternity, the team is committed to support Deadfire with new features, content, bug fixes, and polish to make the game the best it can be. We are listening to your feedback on our forums, Reddit, social media, and user reviews - and the development team has many ideas for improvement, too. Through 2018, we have plans to add more quality of life changes to make the game better and better. For the mod community, we will be releasing documentation on the game data formats, and will be working on tools to help facilitate mods. Another feature that the team is really excited about is what we are calling "Magran's Fires". Similar to Berath's Blessings, these modes can be enabled from the main menu and will add gameplay modifiers for challenges above and beyond Path of the Damned. In addition to the returning Triple Crown and Triple Crown Solo challenges, we will be rolling out challenges themed to Eora's gods, beginning with Berath, Galawain, and, of course, Magran. As always, we are listening to feedback on what you would like to see in future updates.

Don't forget we have three expansive DLCs on the horizon. The first DLC, "Beast of Winter", is due to land this July. We will be showing off the new areas and content in the DLC soon!

It's been an amazing journey, and we aren't done yet. Thank you for your continued support for Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian. Now go forth, download "Rum Runner's Pack", and have a drink with your new friend Mirke.
    Sounds good - early June for the difficulty patch is sooner than I expected. You can grab that free DLC on Steam or GOG.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 7
    • Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thekdawg21 Augur

thekdawg21
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    That's good. Right now it's so piss easy it's like playing a bioware game

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fobia Learned Patron

fobia
    Parrots:
    Will the free DLC help to get those sales up though?

Anybody knows of examples where that worked?
    I can only think of The Witcher 3, but I think it wasn't the free DLCs that were responsible for it's success.

(It was Gwent ofc. :D)

^ Top  
  4. Paul_cz Erudite

Paul_cz
    Parrots:
    How do we even know that sales are bad when steamspy is semidead?

I totally expected them to be bad though. No matter the quality of the game, there have been simply too many of these 2D/top down RPGs. Most people haven't even finished the first game or Divinity 2 yet.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Keep releasing those patches and DLC, Obisidan. My wallet is ready for the GOTY/Complete/Definitive edition of the game, I just want it finished.

• Salute Salute x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Quantomas Learned

Quantomas
    Parrots:
    Add that people are waiting for the game to be complete, and there you have it.

^ Top  
  7. Bohr Savant

Bohr
    Parrots:
    I'm sure some Codex reviews would give the game a nice publicity boost :shittydog:

• Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zakhad Scholar

Zakhad
    Parrots:
    I suspect it based only on the way they talk about the game here--no mention of great sales, just the good reviews.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Revamped difficulty settings, skip intro button, those are very good changes. And that's what matters beyond the fluff.

Now we'll see (1) how good those revamps are, and (2) how good/bad the combat feels after them. No guarantees there.

^ Top  
  10. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Parrots:
    Coming up next is a neutral positive review of POOe2 ; and how everything is just fine and not an abominable mess.

^ Top  
  11. Shilandra Educated

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    So you can be an alcoholic now?

Sweet, I might just pick this game up after all. Nothing like representation of inebriation and waking up in a pile of your own vomit to really make you feel like your choices matter.

• Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    Just wait for Disco Elysium.

• incline incline x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    Why would I care about false Gods. As fake and hollow as the setting itself.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    Too much agenda. Let's rewrite this.

"The writing sucks and combat difficulty is a joke. Remarkably, there are some Codex members who find this acceptable. However, they are finding it hard to communicate what it is exactly that they like about the game. Also, muh graphics."

• Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Edgy x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Shilandra Educated

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    You know, I don't think ill ever really like pillars. Or at least its setting. For a fantasy game it just feels so, I don't know, grounded? Like they've stripped it of all its fantastical elements. One of the things I loved about the old dnd games was the setting was truly fantastic.Everything about the planes and their various makeup and the creatures who inhabited them were fascinating. Even on faerun itself you had all this mysticism and power as a constant undercurrent through the whole setting with people piciing up decorative family heirlooms and turning them into flaming swords of vengeance. There was a richness to the magic of the world that suffused it and made you feel like you could tap into it yourself as you grew. Heck, even tyranny brought some of this back with everything involving the archons and kyros and the magic system with the sigils. I loved every second of that stuff.

But with pillars, even stuff that starts bordering on the fantastic, like the gods and rocks that absorb and mold souls, are purposefully stepped on. The gods are just glorified automatons. The art and work of soulcraft is a clinical science for some reason, less mystical than Fucking magic. Even stuff like soulbound weapons were painfully boring at least from what I remeber.

Maybe its diffrent in deadfire, what with eathos coming back and all that. But I don't see how they can recover the fantastical when they spent damn near the entirety of the first game cheekily undermining their gods and thinking they were so clever and original for doing so.

Playing pillars feels empty, even if you were throwing around fireballs and fighting dragons there's nothing like the weave or the archons to back it up and make it feel like you're truly immersing yourself in a magical world and I truly,think that's a shame.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 3
    • Balanced x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. MajorMace Educated

MajorMace
    Parrots:
    nope

• Despair Despair x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    What is amazing about Obsidian is that they can pinpoint what should be improved but always come up with the wrong solutions.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ScrotumBroth Educated Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    That's because Ferg opted to play safe and let the copycat in charge of the project. He knew he'd get a bland, functional game, at least functional when compared to inXile Kickstarters, and settling for that was for some reason more appealing than letting someone like MCA shoot for the stars.

I have more respect for NumaNuma, at least they tried something new, even though project management and execution turned out to be a total shit fest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    Not even remotely true. I have stopped playing because despite influx of iso games, how many can actually be considered good or stand in top 10 on their own?
    You get some parts of game. One has so so mechanics, other has graphics, third has a bearable story. Full package? Not even remotely close. You know I would even settle for good mechanics and overlook other parts, but even that is not happening...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For those who aren't following the extremely edgy and inane "Sales analysis" thread, Deadfire's owners are estimated at 117 000 as of today, according to steamspy.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. C.H.A.R.L.I.E Novice

C.H.A.R.L.I.E
    Parrots:
    Is that good or bad?

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    117 000 would be terrible. But steamspy is so accurate it could as well be 117 000 000, so there's that.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Auraculum Novice

Auraculum
    Parrots:
    Unfortunately, the worst part of this business model is that, as far as I can tell, reviewing, or even playing, a game is useless until the Definitive/Ultimate Edition is released.

I know, Codex, that you can easily blame the developers, but let's face it - that's the commonly employed business model these days, and there's no end in sight.

The one exception these days is Total War: Warhammer, where DLC's and expansions do exactly that - stretch out the world to encompass new races/factions/units/mechanics. You can easily play just the first game, and only the core, to get the full Dwarf experience, for example.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Pretty bad. The steamspy sampling algorithm may be inaccurate for such small numbers, but in the best case consider it around 150 000.

Wishful thinking. You have Huge wounds to lick.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Even Steamspys old algorithm was quite inaccurate and would show contradictory changes after every update. And this was when the creator still thought it's accurate enough to be shown to the public. Right now after Valve retardoed data mining people's profiles, it's basically a random number generator posing as a sales analysis tool.

Are the sales good? No, they suck, and we can determine that as a fact just by looking at the steam bestseller charts.

But pretending that we have some actual data worth debating is pure autism, don't fool yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)