Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #39: Josh Sawyer Social Media Feature Compilation #3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Josh Sawyer; Katrina Garsten; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Obsidian's latest Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig update is another feature demonstration video, this time including features from Josh Sawyer's social media feeds as well as a few never-before-seen ones from Obsidian's internal blogs. The main highlight is the introduction of various types of throwable grenades (hi Divinity!). Other new features include dancing & puking NPCs and Josh Sawyer's animancy cat. Here's the video, introduced as usual by Katrina Garsten:

No creepy Josh cameo this time, but in the next update he'll be giving an in-depth explanation of Deadfire's multiclassing and subclassing systems, including gameplay footage.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
If sesame doesn't have the super power to "make game developers great again" I don't care. Btw does this game pay homage to JS cat? If that's the case I am happy.

Ocelot570

Educated
It's amazing how Obsidian is way better at resource managing than inXile... InXile produced shit with torment after millions of dollars and four years. Obsidian is already kicking their ass after little more than a year and I believe less money.

skyst

Augur
Its mindbogling on what shit they are wasting time and resources becasue reasons thats why....

You don't get preorders with tweets about bug fixes and balances.

Whether or not you get preorders with tweets about animated cats is another discussion.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's amazing how Obsidian is way better at resource managing than inXile... InXile produced shit with torment after millions of dollars and four years. Obsidian is already kicking their ass after little more than a year and I believe less money.

They are better, but for this game they already had a working engine from PoE1 to start with.

Ulfhednar

Savant

They are better, but for this game they already had a working engine from PoE1 to start with.
So did InXile for T:ToN...

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Fargo fucked up Interplay, so it's no shock that he fucks up InXile.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
So did InXile for T:ToN...

Not really. Wasteland was 3D while they went the pre-rendered backgrounds way with TToN. Unless they made a deal with Obsidian and got both dialogue/quest designer and graphics shaders, they had to write those themselves.

Combat was different as well - that Crisis system was supposed to be a big innovative part of the game - while Pillars is refining an existing system.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Combat was differwnt as well - that crisis system was supposed to be a big innovative part of the game.
What was there, was pretty good. Shame they gave up on a full execution of it. Was nice too see a game throwing non-combat tactics at you.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Combat was differwnt as well - that crisis system was supposed to be a big innovative part of the game.
What was there, was pretty good. Shame they gave up on a full execution of it. Was nice too see a game throwing non-combat tactics at you.
You mean the TToN Crisis encounters? Or the system on paper?

In-game I think it wasn´t sustainable when you had more than four or five enemies. Similar to good ol´ Fallout I and II - it can be fun in small encounters, but with seven muties and fifteen neutral citizens it was no longer fun.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
You mean the TToN Crisis encounters? Or the system on paper?

In-game I think it wasn´t sustainable when you had more than four or five enemies. Similar to good ol´ Fallout I and II - it can be fun in small encounters, but with seven muties and fifteen neutral citizens it was no longer fun.
Well, both. I did enjoy the encounters - the minuscule amount of them. It was fun knowing the game was going to dish out something completely random each time.

But it did feel like it never left the conceptual phase. No one on that team could agree on one approach and the whole game suffered because of it. Wasteland 2 was better because at least it knew exactly what it wanted to focus on.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Not really. Wasteland was 3D while they went the pre-rendered backgrounds way with TToN. Unless they made a deal with Obsidian and got both dialogue/quest designer and graphics shaders, they had to write those themselves.

Um, I thought that's exactly what they did.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Well they advertised Obsidian´s tool, but I didn´t hear anything about the art and graphics shaders being shared.

But combat in TToN - promising as a concept, not up to par in execution. I mean I do know how much work it is to tailor make one such encounter (I see it every day when I walk into the writers´ room), but still. Everyone´s a critic, aren´t they :D

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I mean I do know how much work it is to tailor make one such encounter (I see it every day when I walk into the writers´ room), but still.
A bit different when the guy designing them "quits". Or whatever happened there with Saunders. Shame.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Obsidian have had less stuff to do from scratch and I think that their staff is in one physical location, which should make organizing their work far more simple.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
TToN's failings were not related to mechanics.

it was the awful writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom