Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #19: Pre-Alpha Footage, Sea Monsters & Fishing Stretch Goal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig campaign will arrive at its conclusion shortly, having busted through the Intelligent Soulbound Weapon stretch goal several hours ago. It doesn't look like it's going to get much further now that investment funds have maxed out at $2.25M, but Obsidian have nevertheless published a final Fig update before the campaign's end announcing a stretch goal for $4.75M. Should the campaign somehow reach that amount, an elaborate fishing mechanic will be added to the game that can also lead to encounters with legendary sea monsters. The update also announces the unlocking of the tenth and final leg of Fulvano's Journey. But before all of that, there's a special video:

Sea Monsters and Fishing - $4.75 Million

As they say, there are a million fish in the sea. And with your new boat, why not drop a hook and see what comes up at the end of the line? In Deadfire, fish will provide you with different rest bonuses and give you more recipes to cook up to help you on your adventures. Fishing will trigger scripted interactions on your boat where you can choose various baits you have collected and see what fish you can catch. Different areas on the world map will have different fish below the surface. You can be an occasional line-dropper or an expert fisherman. And who knows, maybe you'll hook some rare gear or run into sea monsters who have only been spoken of in tales...

With this stretch goal we will add fishing and new sea monsters that you may encounter while sailing on the seas around Deadfire!

Fulvano's Voyage Comes to an End

Fulvano's next discovery is the Splintered Reef:

"A thousand broken salutes hailed me from the rocky shoal"

The Splintered Reef is a mass of abandoned ships that doggedly cling to each other, forever trapped in the aftermath of a naval battle. None could tell from the wretched monument who fought or for what purpose, as only silence and the dead seem to have won.

After 10 discoveries of new islands, including a pirate hideout, a three level dungeon, an island of slavers, and a ship graveyard, Fulvano's journey sadly has come to an end! He encountered one of the deadly creatures of the Deadfire and is now headed to a new adventure. Thank you to everyone who participated in making Fulvano's voyage possible! And special thanks to Matt Hansen, our wonderful concept artist, who brought Fulvano's Voyage to life over the past few weeks.

In other news, Obsidian have finally opened up PayPal funding for Deadfire, which will perhaps allow them to reach some of these stretch goals in the coming weeks. Might I suggest, however, that you pledge through our fundraiser instead?

UPDATE: Well, the Deadfire campaign has concluded. It ended up raising $4,407,598, four times its original goal, making it the most successful oldschool RPG crowdfunding campaign of all time. Incredibly, even if you discard Fig investments and look only at regular pledges, it's still the most successful RPG crowdfunding campaign since Torment in 2013. And all that on a crowdfunding platform that a vocal portion of the gaming community refuses to touch. Obsidian have shown the world how it's done and they should be congratulated. inXile and everybody else, take note. The era of crowdfunding vapor is over. Make your game. Sell your game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A bit overdue but I've added some final remarks about the campaign's conclusion.

Remember this? I called it.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I expect it to be better than PoE1 in a way BG2 was better to BG1.

It would be nice if PoE 2 ended up being brilliant.. but I live in despair. I mean, Baldur's Gate while not a work of genius was enjoyable. So improving on it made for a really nice prospect. Improving on Pillars of Eternity is such lowhanging fruit that I'm not sure even the BG2 treatment would make it a good game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The era of crowdfunding vapor is over. Make your game. Sell your game.

You've done it. I am fucking speechless.

Bit of a shame that, if it's true. Crowdfunding was a way for newcomers to launch their projects. If it's just become another marketing tool, something of value will have been lost.

I say that from our perspective as gamers, developers waving their hands and making up bullshit about non-yet-existent games feels more like "marketing" than displaying the facts about an already existing one.

Prime Junta

I say that from our perspective as gamers, developers waving their hands and making up bullshit about non-yet-existent games feels more like "marketing" than displaying the facts about an already existing one.

Marketing isn't a bad thing, they have to get the word out somehow or nobody will find out about their games. And crowdfunding-marketing Pillars 2 style is good marketing -- it's open, relatively honest, and even fun.

For studios starting up, who don't have the resources up-front to make it first and sell it then, crowdfunding did provide a way. I pitched into a fair few, some of which failed, others were qualified successes, and a few were genuinely interesting (this one for example http://store.steampowered.com/app/252250/ ).

I'm just hoping there will be room for both. I'm with you though that the age of million-dollar-plus vapourware pitches is probably over, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was a flawlessly exectued crowd-funding campaign. To the extent that I almost got convinced to back it myself. Eventually, I did not, because 1. I played Pillars of Eternity (fool me once, etc.) 2. The game will be cheaper on launch (I love Poland).

They probably could have gotten more backer money on Kickstarter - maybe even more than they got from backer+investment combined on Fig, but obviously they want to support their own platform (and probably pay smaller cut). Either way, it is a huge success, and I am expecting good things to come from this. And if they don't - oh well.

Quillon

Arcane
They probably could have gotten more backer money on Kickstarter - maybe even more than they got from backer+investment combined on Fig

No way. At best we'd be looking at $3M now, if it were on KS. You can't explain missing - more than half of PoE1 backers just with platform change.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They probably could have gotten more backer money on Kickstarter - maybe even more than they got from backer+investment combined on Fig

No way. At best we'd be looking at $3M now, if it were on KS. You can't explain missing - more than half of PoE1 backers just with platform change.
Sure, I can. People like Totalbiscuit, who proudly pledged upwards of $1000 for Wasteland 2 and PoE 1 are warning their audience from not using Fig (for various reasons), and those poeple have a lot of influence. Plus you cannot dismiss the power of brand recognition - there are poeple who check Kickstarter every day looking for interesting projects to back and/or talk about. Fig - not so much.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People like Totalbiscuit, who proudly pledged upwards of $1000 for Wasteland 2 and PoE 1 are warning their audience from not using Fig
Did TB really warned about Fig? I don't remember any of the prominent youtubers talking shit about it. Or I have just missed them ...meh...

I remember a wiseguy making a supposedly deep analysis about Fig being a scam, but it turned out that he was talking out of his ass.

Quillon

Arcane
From what I've observed most people who doesn't trust fig thinks Tim Schafer owns the platform(does he btw? :P). Even if that were the case I'd still back it for a)I trust Obs. b)How can a high profile person like Schafer be a scam artist? He's incompetent at best.

If you're a famous smuggler, you're doing it wrong.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I've observed most people who doesn't trust fig thinks Tim Schafer owns the platform(does he btw? :P). Even if that were the case I'd still back it for a)I trust Obs. b)How can a high profile person like Schafer be a scam artist? He's incompetent at best.

If you're a famous smuggler, you're doing it wrong.
That is obvoius. Thinking that Fig is a scam because Tim mismanaged his project and had some bad press is some derailed thinking. Especially since he doesn't own Fig, he is on the creative board with Feargus and Fargo.

Fig is just an investment opportunity like many others. Might not be the best investment, but people should decide themselves what do they do with their money.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Why in the hell are there 17 Poe II threads in News?

Mega-Thread that old shit like you do with everything else.

Zep--

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well it succeeded. In 1 year we will see how it progresses. Maybe just maybe this one will be even worth to Arrr. Although I doubt it, I will have my hands full playing all the good games I didn't Arrr.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Why in the hell are there 17 Poe II threads in News?

Mega-Thread that old shit like you do with everything else.

Zep--
Every update got its own news. :)

So do the stupid Ultima Ascendant updates, but are shortly moved/merged to the mega-thread.

Zep--
Hey, it's not my job. Ask the highly qualified Codex moderators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom