Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II expansion DLCs revealed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Beast of Winter; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Seeker, Slayer, Survivor; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - The Forgotten Sanctum; Versus Evil

Obsidian have revealed details on the three planned Pillars of Eternity II expansion DLCs, which we first learned about back in January. All three are content packs and will be released at 2-3 month intervals over the course of this year. Here's the announcement:

Irvine, California – April 24th, 2018 - Obsidian Entertainment, developer of critically acclaimed role-playing games, in partnership with indie publisher Versus Evil, today announced plans for three exciting, in-depth expansion packs for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. The expansion packs will include new quests that will add to the lore of the Deadfire, new areas to discover, new secrets to reveal, and a whole host of new characters to meet and challenges to overcome!

The first downloadable-content pack (DLC), "Beast Of Winter" will be available in July 2018, and will take your party to an island populated by a mysterious doomsday cult, that hides an ancient secret. Players will get to experience adventuring in "The Beyond," a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and filled with devilish challenges.

The second DLC "Seeker, Slayer, Survivor" available in September 2018, is a combat-focused expansion taking place on a previously undiscovered island that will challenge the martial prowess of your party, and your tactical skills as a commander, as you embark on a mission to rediscover ancient relics, and pit your party against Eora’s most skilled and savage.

The third DLC, "The Forgotten Sanctum" available in November 2018, will test your party’s allegiance and morality in a quest to help (or obstruct) the great wizards of Eora. Will you befriend, betray or befuddle these venerable mystics as you uncover secrets lost to the generations? The consequences of your actions will be felt across the Deadfire Archipelago whatever you decide.

All three packs are included as part of the Obsidian Edition of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire which is available for sale now. A Season Pass including all 3 DLC packs will also be available for purchase when the game launches for $24.99. The expansion packs will be sold individually for $9.99 as they are released. FIG Backers that backed at the Collector’s Edition tier or above or included the Season Pass as part of their backer pledge will also receive the Season Pass.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire launches on May 8th, 2018 on Windows PC, Mac, and Linux platforms and is currently available for pre-order through Steam, GOG.com, Obsidian.net and Versus Evil, as well as other digital retailers.
With that amount of development time, I'd estimate that these DLCs will be about half as large as the White March expansions. Let's hope that Obsidian can pack them with content that's on par with the best parts of the White March - as opposed to something that just feels small and inconsequential like the Tyranny expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruzen

Savant
-5$ season pass for backing up. Seems ok. This is fine and all but I can't help to wonder If there is going to be season 2 for season pass :D

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
season pass that will be 99% mid-game content forcing you to replay and lose your time again.

well, I think I will play it on 2020 when they release the latest patch and the game is completed

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Difficult to know how to feel about this before the main game is released. From what I've played of the backer beta it is pretty different from Pillars 1. People at Obsidian were seem to have been reading the Codex complaints of "trash mobs"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
season pass that will be 99% mid-game content forcing you to replay and lose your time again.

Unless, this being a more open world type game, it lets you continue playing after the endgame so you don't have to restart.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Unless, this being a more open world type game, it lets you continue playing after the endgame so you don't have to restart.

Pillars 1 let you continue playing after the endgame. You just can't play after the final mini-dungeon and battle (just like in Witcher 3, NV, etc etc)

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Each title is generic as fuck.

Remember those revisionists saying that White March with its trash mobs fixed all the flaws of PoE and that now things would be different? Yeah, guess who was right.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Will all these be included in the PS4 GotY edition?

Inb4 Infinitron rates
rating_oldman.png
!

edit: Too late. :negative:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They will suck because everyone will be level capped. Fuck these mid game expansions... Obsidian never learns.

Level cap is 20 now (and you start from 1). Could be they left some room and you're not guaranteed to hit it by endgame now.

Jezal_k23

Each of the NV DLC pieces were relatively substantial. I'd have loved something like TWM but as it stands this could maybe work. That said, I didn't like the title for the 2nd DLC either.

Tigranes

Arcane
The awful, awful logos offend me more than anything else

These are clearly designed to learn from the business mistakes re. WM; they're all about striking while the iron is hot and keeping players engaged. I wonder if that means they'll also learn from WM that many players don't like mid-game additions.

Obviously meaty expansion packs are always superior, but maybe one benefit of this will be that they will be able to keep a smaller POE2 dev team together for the whole of 2018, a team which has the revenue stream to focus on patching the game as well as put some significant work into these dlcs. But can they really do something substantial at 2 month intervals? How long did FNV ones take?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom