Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can't multiclass two subclasses of the same class with each other. At least I don't think so, even though it showed that you can in the video, Monk + Monk being Godandag, unless that's some kind of inside joke I don't get.

Mot

Barely Literate
55 class combinations with 4 subclasses each makes for 220, minus a few Pala-Priest combos that are blocked.

That doesn't seem right?

Each class combination has 16 possibilities since both classes have 4 options (default and the 3 subclasses). So then it would be 16x55=880 combinations. Without excluding the blocked combinations.

If there are 4 subclasses per class (default + 3 options), then there are 44 single-class options. So there are 44 choose 2 = 946 multi-class combinations, then you add the 44 single-class options to get a total 990 total combinations (not counting blocked options). However, in the video there seemed to be more than 3 subclasses per class, so we can't know the actual number.

Are you not also including combinations like ranger/ranger in this calculation?

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Then I think it should be ((8 * 4 * 46) + (3 * 6 * 44)) / 2 + 50 = 1182. For the 8 classes that have 4 subclasses, you can choose one of 46 other options, and similarly for the 3 classes with 6 subclasses. Divide by 2 because you've counted every option twice, and add the remaining 50 single-classes. Hopefully I haven't fucked up again.

Aren't you guys counting ranger/rouge and rogue/ranger twice though?

I shouldn't be there, no. Dividing by 2 covers that.

tripedal

Savant
Even 1182 underestimates the available options because you can distribute the levels between your two classes however you want. 9 rogue/1 fighter will be very different from 5 rogue/5 fighter for example.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Even 1182 underestimates the available options because you can distribute the levels between your two classes however you want. 9 rogue/1 fighter will be very different from 5 rogue/5 fighter for example.
They aren't allowing the player to pick individual levels anymore - you pick a multiclass combo at character creation ala AD&D and then differentiate with skill/talent choices at level up

Ulfhednar

Savant
Does anyone know if they plan to keep the cross-class talents from the first game for single class characters to use? Some of those (aspirant's mark, apprentice's sneak attack, etc) were kind of important...

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gotta say this seems like a pretty clinically improved change. The downside is that they have definitely nerfed the hell out of "splashing" a multiclass, which is what everyone thought would be OP, one level of fighter and 18 levels of mage or somesuch. But this system actually makes a ton more sense than the old system even if it kind of seems less powerful because the health is averaged and you don't get the kind of bullshit interactions you get with Barbarian mage/Kensai mage.

I don't think you can predict hype for this game. White March was better than PoE vanilla because the area design was heaps better uniformly, whether Deadfire is incline super depends on the area design and how they fix the "sword and board" problem of the first game with the CC balance, as well as making accuracy less bullshit. The combat mechanics have to wait for the "beta" the area design will depend on release.

Last edited:

Colour Spray

Educated
I think it goes back to the post earlier about how multi-classing giving you access to a standard superior option is a desirable side-effect and can be balanced by lagging behind the main class progession. You don't have to bend over backwards to make full-plate armour identical to leather; when the appeal of the fighter class is that powerful equipment informs their approach to combat.

I'm strongly on the approval side of the fence. I like mechanics that help towards reinforcing class distinction.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Does anyone know if they plan to keep the cross-class talents from the first game for single class characters to use? Some of those (aspirant's mark, apprentice's sneak attack, etc) were kind of important...

Yeah, they were good. Perhaps too good even. Six Whispers of Treason at the beginning of the fight?

I doubt they should stay, particularly with the multiclassing options now available (at least the way they were).

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You can't multiclass two subclasses of the same class with each other. At least I don't think so, even though it showed that you can in the video, Monk + Monk being Godandag, unless that's some kind of inside joke I don't get.

Jesus, how do they structure their data...?

Good question. Can't understand why an invalid class combination would pull the first string from a table instead of a null value, let alone why it apparently does so from an entirely unrelated (day of the week names?) table.

Prime Junta

Now I'm really curious about the wizard spell lists. Please please please let there be an Invisibility spell.

And then let me play Assassin/Illusionist.
  • Assassin - From stealth or invisibility, weapon attacks have bonus damage, Penetration, and Accuracy. All incoming damage is increased.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
ofc there will be an invisibility spell, it'd probably be the easiest spell with the smallest animation budget in the entire game considering they already have the entire stealth mechanic.

Prime Junta

ofc there will be an invisibility spell

There wasn't in P1. Reason wasn't budget, reason was that Josh thought it lacked :balance:. Only invisibility effect was the rogue's Shadowing Beyond.

This will now be per-encounter of course, so that already makes Assassin more viable. But if on top of that he can use Invisibility to pop in and out of sight and deal massive spike damage, it would be a very powerful combo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it wasn't that bad a choice, giving only rogues invisibility during combat, as it gives them something unique that makes sense and makes them stand out.

axedice

Cipher
Skaen priest's rogue abilities as priest spells poses an interesting option. Combine it with rouge's own aimed attacks and you'll probably have around 8 aimed attacks per combat. Since you can dualwield slow weapons like pistol/blunderbuss, you're also carrying 8 heavy hitting weapons with both sneak attack and aimed attack multipliers... Lacrymas' weak character concept suddenly seems interesting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It was never weak, it did around 60-70% of the dmg of pure DPSers (depending on how well you micro'd everything, I honestly didn't use every spell to its fullest to do max dmg all the time) while also giving you access to the whole priest repertoire, which was overpowered. It was also great to play.

Parabalus

Arcane
Think the change to ADnD style is pretty good. You lose out a lot of munchkining which is probably for the best, looked like a nightmare to balance.

Tree looks dope.

Interestingly the wizard subclasses have a steep penalty in the video that they don't have in the subclass list, they suffer 20% slow when casting non-focus schools. That's pretty brutal.

It was never weak, it did around 60-70% of the dmg of pure DPSers (depending on how well you micro'd everything, I honestly didn't use every spell to its fullest to do max dmg all the time) while also giving you access to the whole priest repertoire, which was overpowered. It was also great to play.

Biggest problem was that after a point chain-casting spells just beat out attacking, "generic priestness" was too strong. Giving special abilities as spells is a pretty brilliant solution, even if it's still weaker it makes the faith unique.

axedice

Cipher
The most powerful ability of the priest was crowns/devotions of the faithful which changed the tide of battles imo, and Josh said something along the lines of nerfing these bonuses? That makes sense but also leaves the priest with only 1 utility, countering dominate and stun/petrify.

Since the companion priest is a follower of Gaun (aka eothas) , he'll also be lacking protection spells (prayer / litany against shit I presume?) so he'll be a totally useless deadweight. Too bad since hunting eothas with his priest would've added a nice flavor.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The "of the faithful" line were all overpowered. The prayers and litanies also trivialized a lot of encounters. Withdraw countered Concelhaut hard. If I'm ever to replay PoE1 I'll do it with a party without a Priest, to see what the difference is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom