Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, Tony Evans is a contract writer on PoE2.

Starwars

Arcane
As is some guy who did writing on Battle Brothers.

EDIT: Pretty good interview actually. Kinda excited about all the world map traveling stuff, feels like it could be a lot of fun.

Starwars

Arcane
He was also a lead of some kind (lead designer?) on Storm of Zehir. Remember I attended some NWN2 chat with him before SoZ was released, he's a fun guy. Spoke quite a bit about Darklands back then which is before Sawyer made it cool.
:martini:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a video with Tony Evans during the T:ToN Kickstarter where he sort-of-apologized for working on DA2, so this is something we've kind of been through already. It's not like it was his fault that the game was bad. His Torment novella was p. cool.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He was also a lead of some kind (lead designer?) on Storm of Zehir. Remember I attended some NWN2 chat with him before SoZ was released, he's a fun guy. Spoke quite a bit about Darklands back then which is before Sawyer made it cool.
:martini:

Was he the husband of the husband/wife pair from Obsidian that posted here years ago, who both left Obs after SoZ? Can't keep the names straight anymore in my dotage.

Edit: Nope. That must have been Annie Carlson/Mitsoda.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
About the DLCs - I'm pretty sure we are going to see at least 1 piece of DLC since it was kind of promised in the Figstarter, at least it had an option to add whatever DLC comes out for however much shekels. Would be nice to see an actual expansion, too. The last RPG to has had a proper expansion was DA:O. Maybe White March, but eh, it's two DLCs in one, masquerading as a complete thing.

Deleted member 7219

There was a video with Tony Evans during the T:ToN Kickstarter where he sort-of-apologized for working on DA2, so this is something we've kind of been through already. It's not like it was his fault that the game was bad. His Torment novella was p. cool.

Tony Evans is a bro, and a reader of the 'dex although he doesn't have an account here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Since I just completed Cragholdt and the memory is painfully fresh in my mind - at the end the journal says

"You have defeated Concelhaut, one of the most powerful archmages of Eora"

I thought to myself "Thanks for reminding me of the ridiculous power creep, game" and that, naturally, brought me to PoE2. I don't know how they'll ramp up the stakes and not feel like a retread. We've already killed 2 of the spoilers, 5 dragons and an assortment of other creatures one associates with power and "epicness". It's also kind of cheap because it makes them feel weak and pathetic to have them killed off by a relatively low level party.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I thought to myself "Thanks for reminding me of the ridiculous power creep, game" and that, naturally, brought me to PoE2. I don't know how they'll ramp up the stakes and not feel like a retread. We've already killed 2 of the spoilers, 5 dragons and an assortment of other creatures one associates with power and "epicness". It's also kind of cheap because it makes them feel weak and pathetic to have them killed off by a relatively low level party.

The level reset means that isn't so much of a problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, she told me something a while back about how she was trying to get you that job. Awesome!

Lacrymas

Arcane
The level reset means that isn't so much of a problem.

That doesn't matter to us as players, we've already killed 2 of the spoilers, 5 dragons and what-have-you, so it's going to feel like a do-over if we systematically start killing all the spoilers and more dragons and etc. It becomes routine. The most powerful thing we killed in BG1 was Aec'Letec, it was level 12 and a single entity. Dragons, archmages/liches and demon princes didn't come until much later, so they felt like a natural ramp-up. Now we are going to start with kobolds again and spoilers, and probably dragons, who knows. I suppose it's going to feel different if they invent more creatures that are close to the dragons in power, but are not them.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Any clue if Durance is coming back? I remember ages ago people were saying he was in a trailer, and would probably be in the game as a side-quest?

In the trailer? I dont think so! :?

I swear I'm not trolling here, I defintely saw Durance in one of the earlier deadfire videos ages ago, and most people in the comments acknowledged it as being Durance. The reason he's not a main companion is because he solved his own dilemma which was his entire reason for travelling with the Watcher, but he might give a sidequest.

I would find the video and grab a screenshot but I don't have the time for a few weeks.

BilboBaggins

Educated

Quillon

Arcane
Any clue if Durance is coming back? I remember ages ago people were saying he was in a trailer, and would probably be in the game as a side-quest?

In the trailer? I dont think so! :?

I swear I'm not trolling here, I defintely saw Durance in one of the earlier deadfire videos ages ago, and most people in the comments acknowledged it as being Durance. The reason he's not a main companion is because he solved his own dilemma which was his entire reason for travelling with the Watcher, but he might give a sidequest.

I would find the video and grab a screenshot but I don't have the time for a few weeks.

Ages ago? You mean last 7-8 months but no, Durance wasn't in any videos or other shit of Deadfire.

Sentinel

Arcane
Sadly Obsidian has NOT lived up to their potential.

Pilliars should have showcased ALL that they know, and well.... (They DID do an excellent job within the shitty Fallout 3 engine, with NV though).

Granted, the entire cluster-fuck of them trying to stay alive and then...... Pillars KS happened.

This second game is the true test. The entire true test of all that is left of Obsidian. DON'T FUCK THIS UP. You have what it takes, and show us.... And there are no excuses this time.

Good luck. :salute:
Yeah after PoE and Tyranny, PoE2 pretty much decides if I give a fuck about Josh Sawyer's Obsidian. Tim Cain/Boyarsky project will decide if I have hope for Obsidian as a whole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom