Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

I'm sure chairs aren't any trickier. I'd expect an animation with two models interacting is more complicated (e.g. character and seat), but if you can do it for benches, you can certainly do it for chairs. All a matter of budget.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah animation is the tricky part and chairs have armrests also, and can be too close to a table etc.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
and also how many choose-your-own-adventure modules will be implemented depending on possible routes the group can take within settlements. The main city certainly looks big enough to support a lot.

Lots of context-dependent ones would be really cool, but I doubt they will have the time.

Mazisky

Magister
Yeah animation is the tricky part and chairs have armrests also, and can be too close to a table etc.

U don't need to make full sittings characters, just create "fake" npcs (who cannot be interacted) like part of the background, just to spice up the scenario. They could do that

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The new higher quality character models with lots of idle animations and naturalistic stances make this game look closer to PS:T when zoomed in.

planescape_torment01.jpg
W6xiBF9.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is good work because the PS:T characters were static other than palette swaps, whereas these can wear and equip anything.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is good work because the PS:T characters were static other than palette swaps, whereas these can wear and equip anything.
For me, it's more about not going with cartoony or over the top stuff all the time. Sure, some of the gear is over the top, but they mostly look realistic compared to other isometric games we have been getting in recent years.

Not many games in the genre has actually managed to deliver good looking characters recently.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I hope those load times between exteriors and interiors are not just clever editing. One of my biggest gripes about PoE is still the shitty performance, load times and memory leaks.

Parabalus

Arcane
I hope those load times between exteriors and interiors are not just clever editing. One of my biggest gripes about PoE is still the shitty performance, load times and memory leaks.

I don't think they are. Tyranny was already a huge improvement and they made a selling point for PoE that sub-maps (house interiors) would have no loading screens, and that loading overall would be much faster than Tyranny.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Both PoE and Tranny have awful loading times, no idea what you are smoking. Tranny is not a "huge improvement", if it had improved at all.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Both PoE and Tranny have awful loading times, no idea what you are smoking. Tranny is not a "huge improved", if it had improved at all.

It was around 50% faster than PoE for similar sized maps for me (which can still be shit long). If you didn't have to load house interiors that would be enough to stop bothering me personally.

Sentinel

Arcane
Those random CYOA sections between city travelling are going to be a massive pain in the butt. I can already see the first mod is going to remove that shit out of the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Those random CYOA sections between city travelling are going to be a massive pain in the butt. I can already see the first mod is going to remove that shit out of the game.
depend on how varied and interesting they are
Obviously. But 90% of the time these "random sections" get old after 2 hours of playtime. Seems like a waste of money to me anyway. I can't imagine not skipping them when I'm 20 hours into the game.

But hey Josh is heading this. He's the man with the plan. I can only hope his plan is good.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh, CYOA sections are great for breaking up the pace a little bit.

Hell, the meres in TTON were some of the best sections of entire game, even though it was just more reading.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Obviously. But 90% of the time these "random sections" get old after 2 hours of playtime. Seems like a waste of money to me anyway. I can't imagine not skipping them when I'm 20 hours into the game.
How dare they add more game to my game? :P

A lot of people like the CYOA sections and requested more of them. They allow Obsidian to do stuff/situations that would be prohibitively expensive to handle as part of normal gameplay.

Sizzle

Arcane
If there's a sufficient amount of those CYOAs, and if they are randomized and gated by chapters, skills, events (such as alliances), or some other way - so you can't blow through all of them simply by taking 30x strolls in Neketaka - they'll probably turn out to be even better than the ones in TWM.

And, judging by the game screens they showed off, it looks like every one of them will provide an option to simply not partake in those events if you don't care for that sort of thing, so not much there to complain about.

J6dM2lH.jpg
Frd4sah.jpg
NVUbJc9.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not like they cost a lot to make. What I found soul-crushingly terrifying was Pallegina's watercolor portrait. What's up with that face lol. Also, what's up with that grammar - "With this rate, I'll not have near enough the souls"

Sentinel

Arcane

A lot of people like the CYOA sections and requested more of them. They allow Obsidian to do stuff/situations that would be prohibitively expensive to handle as part of normal gameplay.
Where did I complain about CYOA sections? I complained they were placed in between travelling, which is annoying at best.
Spread them out throughout quests instead of dumping them when I'm trying to get somewhere to buy some shit or do some other quest.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Where did I complain about CYOA sections? I complained they were placed in between travelling, which is annoying at best.
Spread them out throughout quests instead of dumping them when I'm trying to get somewhere to buy some shit or do some other quest.

So you've never liked random encounters in any game or P&P, I take it? To me, they help inject interest into what would otherwise just be clicking on Point B on the global or city map, but I can see how that might not hold true for everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom