Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Is the positive review of Winter March gonna be relased together with Shitfire Prime

Who's Prime?

I have no plans on writing a White March review.

Beastro

Arcane
I thought it was 2, too. Weird. Now they are going to limit the list of priest deities arbitrarily, with one of them being Eothas.

Looking back, I don't like the use of that use of deities being used with the Priest class in both this one and the first game.

Not that I dislike it, much the opposite, such choices should have MASSIVELY different play throughs than was done with PoE and what is to be expected in this game.

In fact, looking back, I'd have done PoE differently to better introduce the game world in a less bleak, depressing manner, then saved the plot for one where you only get to play a Priest, maybe have a Priest be more open ended in how they act and not a simple healer type class, but each choice winds up having those huge differences in the way that would really make up for how much of a downer everything is in the game. This would be most apparent in an Eothas or Woedica playthrough with other deities the other party members follow coming up behind them. With the first two though it would be interesting to see how both would react to different choices, like an Eothas Priest choosing to empower Woedica or the Woedica one refusing to do so and what their reasoning would be for acting against their god.

The Eothas would have the most options, maybe having the choice of becoming something of a literal holy atheist that realizes his god is dead, but continues to be a priest for him realizing his commandants are worth carrying out even in a world like the one they live in that no lacks him, that they transcend the mere veneration of a higher being and that he is imminently more worthy of worship now having effectively sacrificed himself as just another casualty of war like any common person in a way no other god of their world ever would.

Quillon

Arcane
I thought it was 2, too. Weird. Now they are going to limit the list of priest deities arbitrarily, with one of them being Eothas.

I think that's not the case, I think it's explained that is priests and paladins won't have "subclasses", compensated by the fact they have orders/deities.

Lacrymas' "assume the worst" attitude is getting old.

Base + 3 subs for every class other than Paladin & Priests which will have 5 orders/deities again. And orders/deities will prolly be more different than each other now that other classes getting subs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that's not the case, I think it's explained that is priests and paladins won't have "subclasses", compensated by the fact they have orders/deities.

The only thing I can find is this -

What makes one Paladin order different, talent or spell wise, from another order? Or is it just differences in roleplaying?

JS: Different Paladin orders—they're basically our subclasses for Paladins. They have different either talents or abilities based on the order that they come from. Some of those are(like in Pillars 1) based off of the base abilities. For example, Pallegina coming back has Vielo Vidòrio and Wrath of the Five Suns, but other Paladin orders may have those adjusted. Some people didn't think the Bleak Walker stuff was particularly powerful, so that stuff will get tweaked.

But, yeah, they will have different variations on those abilities based on the order that they're from.

I don't think they've specified whether they are going to have only 3, like the other classes, or however many the orders are. If all the deities and orders are represented, great, but I predict people bitching about paladins and priests "getting more subclasses" than anyone else.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane

At least he bothers with explaining his arguments and discussing them in a thought-out, civilized way.

Now, TheSentinel, he went from one of the biggest lovers of PoE to one of PoE2's craziest detractors.

The game isn't even out yet, and it has already claimed someone's sanity. Bodes well :D

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

The only thing I can find is this -

What makes one Paladin order different, talent or spell wise, from another order? Or is it just differences in roleplaying?

JS: Different Paladin orders—they're basically our subclasses for Paladins. They have different either talents or abilities based on the order that they come from. Some of those are(like in Pillars 1) based off of the base abilities. For example, Pallegina coming back has Vielo Vidòrio and Wrath of the Five Suns, but other Paladin orders may have those adjusted. Some people didn't think the Bleak Walker stuff was particularly powerful, so that stuff will get tweaked.

But, yeah, they will have different variations on those abilities based on the order that they're from.

I don't think they've specified whether they are going to have only 3, like the other classes, or however many the orders are. If all the deities and orders are represented, great, but I predict people bitching about paladins and priests "getting more subclasses" than anyone else.

I mean perhaps people might bitch but same people could bitch about first game too, about paladins and priests having essentially subclasses while others didn't. I don't know if they will add new stuff but I think it would be very odd to see number of orders & deities reduced.

Sentinel

Arcane

At least he bothers with explaining his arguments and discussing them in a thought-out, civilized way.

Now, TheSentinel, he went from one of the biggest lovers of PoE to one of PoE2's craziest detractors.

The game isn't even out yet, and it has already claimed someone's sanity. Bodes well :D
wow
talking shit about me and not even tagging me
I thought you were better than this.

Sizzle

Arcane

wow

Sorry, dude, you're right, won't happen again.

Sentinel

Arcane

wow

Sorry, dude, you're right, won't happen again.
Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Bonerbill

Augur

Both of them are retarded

Quillon

Arcane
This thread shows Sizzle's post as the last post for me since yesterday.

And showed some error when posting this, posted anyway.

And I fixed it apparently, no thanks necessary :dance:

Nope, clearly something's wrong, can't see Prime Junta's rage rating on my post. Codex is broken, forever.

And I shoulda looked outside of rpg forums, apparently http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/problems.116093/

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
yeah but in D&D with each spell level you got more creative spells that weren't all focused on dealing damage (most of them were utilities). In PoE the only thing that increasing spell level does is give you Fireball VI - now with Triangular AoE & 50% more damage Edition, so there was no need for any damage scaling at all since every single spell in the game was meant to blow up people.

Do you prefer "Find Familiar"?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd like utility spells, too, like Wizard's Eye. It adds to the setting and shows that magic is not just for combat purposes.

Sentinel

Arcane
yeah but in D&D with each spell level you got more creative spells that weren't all focused on dealing damage (most of them were utilities). In PoE the only thing that increasing spell level does is give you Fireball VI - now with Triangular AoE & 50% more damage Edition, so there was no need for any damage scaling at all since every single spell in the game was meant to blow up people.

Do you prefer "Find Familiar"?
What?
Find Familiar would be cool, but I'd prefer something more akin to Friends/Domination, Identify, Detect Invisibility, Detect Traps, Knock, Power Word - Sleep, Clairvoyance, Detect Illusion/Oracle, Dispel Magic (actually dont remember if POE has this one), Haste/Improved Alacrity, Hold Person, Invisibility 10' Radius/Mislead/Mass Invisibility, Minor Sequencer/Spell Sequencer/Spell Trigger, Polymorph Other, Teleport Field, Wizard Eye, Contingency/Chain Contingency, Wish, Project Image/Simulacrum, Symbol - Death, Time Stop.

Lacrymas

Arcane
We shouldn't forget that PoE only has 4 slots per spell level, as opposed to BG where you can have like 12 level 1 spells because of Evermemory. I think that was one of the reasons it doesn't have utility spells, they thought nobody would want to waste the few slots they have.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Some spells were used in scripted interactions in white march but yes some of them that you actually cast would be great. I guess Josh doesn't want Wizard completely eclipsing mechanics / stealth and that sort of thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
With the grimoire change we might see some full of utility spells, who knows. It also depends on how changing grimoires in combat works, if they will allow that at all.

Parabalus

Arcane
With the grimoire change we might see some full of utility spells, who knows. It also depends on how changing grimoires in combat works, if they will allow that at all.

Bg1&2 didn't really have any use for utility spells either. There are a few quests where a spell saves you a scroll, but your spellbook was full of only combat stuff.

The utility spells were "oh cool, I guess that exists" flavour level, maybe you try them once or twice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Yeah, some of them are borderline useless (detect evil lol), but they give flavor to magic and classes. Wizard Eye was useful as are the non-combat ones listed by TheSentinel.

Beastro

Arcane

Both of them are retarded

Meanwhile Sensuki is literally in prison for caving his mother's skull in with a ball point hammer for telling him to stop screaming and let me sleep about PoE...

?

A joke right?

If not details, please. IIRC he's the reason why I found this place and signed up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom