Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Dunno why you're butthurt about spells and abilities scaling with character level, that's extremely (A)D&D, and with P1 lots of people bitched about wimpy fireballs and such.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PoE never really had "Vancian" of course. Sorcerer-style spellcasting is not Vancian.

Dunno why you're butthurt about spells and abilities scaling with character level, that's extremely (A)D&D, and with P1 lots of people bitched about wimpy fireballs and such.
Having the words "scale" and "level" in the same sentence is going to be extremely triggering to some people no matter the context

Iznaliu

Arbiter

D&D has some abilities scale while others don't.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE never really had "Vancian" of course. Sorcerer-style spellcasting is not Vancian.

This.^

Whenever I hear some idiot complaining about where is muh Vancian spellcasting in PoE2, I'd like to drive through them with a steamroller. PoE 1 didn't have real Vancian spellcasting you retard!

Quillon

Arcane
Empower is once per rest, per-encounter spells seem to be 2 per encounter per level.

I haven't seen 2 per encounter limit. Wasn't it like that per encounter abilities/spells use class specific resources like discipline, zeal, arcane etc which are either given or built up like focus/wounds?

Empower is 1 per encounter, 3 per rest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasn't it like that per encounter abilities/spells use class specific resources like discipline, zeal, arcane etc which are either given or built up like focus/wounds?

No, these class specific "resources" are simply representations of how powerful you are in a given discipline (wizardry, paladinhood, priesthood etc.). Prime Junta wasn't correct to state that spells scale with level, they scale with these things. They are mainly used to "balance" multiclassing.

Prime Junta

Wasn't it like that per encounter abilities/spells use class specific resources like discipline, zeal, arcane etc which are either given or built up like focus/wounds?

No, these class specific "resources" are simply representations of how powerful you are in a given discipline (wizardry, paladinhood, priesthood etc.). Prime Junta wasn't correct to state that spells scale with level, they scale with these things. They are mainly used to "balance" multiclassing.

Power source scales with level, and abilities scale with power source. Ergo, abilities scale with level. QED

YRkGaVm.jpg

Quillon

Arcane

Not talking about scaling. To use an ability you dig in the per encounter pool which is 9 or so; f.i. you can either use an ability which uses 2 points from the pool 4 times per encounter or use 1 powerful ability which uses 5 points from that pool then you have 4 points left etc at least I remember it being this way :P

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Not talking about scaling. To use an ability you dig in the per encounter pool which is 9 or so; f.i. you can either use an ability which uses 2 points from the pool 4 times per encounter or use 1 powerful ability which uses 5 points from that pool then you have 4 points left etc at least I remember it being this way :P

I do remember Sawyer initially speaking of this but seem to have changed his mind, because he specified these somewhere recently. I can't remember where now though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Power source scales with level, and abilities scale with power source. Ergo, abilities scale with level. QED

IF there's no other way to increase power sources, then technically yes, but there might be items, quests, feats (even alla Practiced Spellcaster) or even blood-pool like sacrifices that increase them.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

IF there's no other way to increase power sources, then technically yes, but there might be items, quests or even blood-pool like sacrifices that increases them.

In fact I would be disappointed if there aren't at least few unique class specific items that alter power source. I mean the possibilities are endless here, like removing limit from empower at the cost of most of your power source or giving a large amount of power source while reducing amount of per encounter spells etc.

Someone should ask Sawyer whether there will be items, artefacts or interactions that manipulate power sources.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

I do remember Sawyer initially speaking of this but seem to have changed his mind, because he specified these somewhere recently. I can't remember where now though.

FreeKaner

I just checked the E3 video and you seem to be correct. It's still power source cost per en-counter for classes that don't have spell levels but seems to be limited at 2 per spell level for casters. Because Aloth has 2 limit on spell levels while Eder had cost on top of the spells with power source near.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah, might be a different system for casters. Grimoires could be dictating the per encounter use for each level :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
I remember now what this was all about. I theorized that higher level spells will use more of your resource, so you can't just spam high level spells ad infinitum. It's a balance measure, yeah. It's basically a substitute for spell slots/day in Vancian casting.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

call it a balance breaker or some other jRPG shit instead of wasting time trying to justify its existence as a resource

It exists to balance multiclassing, basically. So multiclassed characters won't be as strong as pure ones because they'll lack the source to use spells as much and power to have them as strong as a pure class character.

Prime Junta

It's not a bad way to implement multiclassing. It allows for a nice range of viable mixes, from dipping a level or two to 50-50.

hivemind

It exists to balance multiclassing, basically. So multiclassed characters won't be as strong as pure ones because they'll lack the source to use spells as much and power to have them as strong as a pure class character.
this is a good thing why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom