Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
I reacted the same way about 2 months ago: "Why sea monsters are in a stretch goal? c'moooooon game's key art is a ship surrounded by a sea monster" I said, and dudes here reminded me that sea monsters will be in the game and the SG is about adding more monsters then I said "Ahaaa" then they said "yeah"

If they will have nuff time & resources available why wouldn't they add more sea monsters? Its their game, they prolly want to make it bigger & better :P "Sea monsters" & even "fishing" are very marketable words for a game. Worst case, they'd push it into the expansion.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sea-monsters would probably get them a few Japanese customers as well that wouldn't buy the game otherwise... I mean tentacles and all.

BilboBaggins

Educated
Pillows of eternity soundtrack had its moments, but overall it was pretty dull... Combat tracks were awful and clichées.

I thought the music was good if not generic in a few spots, but there were two tracks that were straight up lifted from The Lords of the Rings movies, particularly the Ringwraiths theme and Lothlórien/Elves choral theme.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
How exactly would the fishing have worked anyway? T:ToN technically had a sort of fishing in Sagus where the mutant woman lets you use her fishing pole, but there really isn't anything to it. Would Deadfire's fishing have been like that? Or some sort of action mini-game deal like in Zelda?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know people on the internets dont read but I expected more from the Codex. In the original post for the sea monsters stretch goal it was made clear that there will be sea monsters in the game. The stretch goal was for MORE of them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, yeah, when you've almost removed any strategy you are pretty much forced to have distinct tactical challenges which won't work when copy pasted by definition. I guess this is incline in a one step back, one step forward kinda thing.

Ruzen

Savant
Thinking about It now. Yea the lighthouse could have been the perfect location for that.

Sentinel

Arcane
Meh.

It's nice to have so the AI drinks potions and applies buffs automatically, but that's it. Everything else in these games is either situational or the AI gets stuck on some retarded loop and doesn't execute the script orders properly, and I end up turning it off.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, while not bad at all, quite the opposite, I don't see myself using those, especially on the highest difficulty. I also didn't find them overly reliable in DA:O, even for simple things like potion usage. Although I might set it up so everyone uses stat boosting food/consumables automatically.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Calling it automation is debatable if you're customizing the exact actions to take at a particular situation in battle. You're doing exactly what you want the character to do, you just don't have to pause and click every time it happens. Or check your log if the spell hit while you were focusing on something else. Automation would be more turning on a default AI script and letting them do whatever the developers decided they think is appropriate. It would also be automation if your one character script crushes all enemies without needing to adjust. But, that's more of an encounter or ability balance problem than an automation problem.

Would be nice if Gambits / Tactics don't need to be purchased like in Final Fantasy 12, though. Was a bit of a nuisance sitting in a shop and buying 150 'items' for small amounts of cash apiece.

Quillon

Arcane
AI customization was also a stretch goal, guess programmers are either going fast or have less things to do than art & writing teams. Expecting zero bugs :balance:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Obsidian is anti inexile
:love::love:

Also they probably have the system designed in mind for a lon time, but implementing it would cost more than the game's base budget.

With the goal filled, they just have to implement it, skipping the brainstorming part becaise it is,already done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom