Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Neanderthal

Arcane
Starting equipment: Skinny jeans of gender fluidity +2.
Pink hair dye helmet of verbal diarrhea +5.
Ipad of Tumblering +5.
Shield of Offensive Outrage +3.
Soy, mocha, half caf, skinny lapachino with free trade sprinkles from the downtrodden minority of wherever the fuck +1.
Laptop of bad fan fiction +2.
Background: Superprivileged 1%, afflicted with white guilt but startin wi access to daddys trust fund.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
it's absurd that groups as diverse as destitute pirates and indigenous tribesmen share flag design aesthetics
My thoughts exactly. The idea that every faction should have a "logo" is inherently silly. I expected better. Also,
the Príncipi subject even surrendering crews to (painless) humiliations, such as leaving them all stranded in their smallclothes.
?!
Whose ass was this pulled out of? Jeez, pick a style and run with it - is it serious, is it Monkey Island, is it Pirates of the Caribbean or what?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
the Príncipi subject even surrendering crews to (painless) humiliations, such as leaving them all stranded in their smallclothes.

I would totally do that if I was a pirate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Principi originate from a group of exiled Old Vailian nobles, so having some symbolism makes sense. A bit strange that the update doesn't mention this (though it does hint at it with the "first families" stuff)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember that, and the Principi's flag is relatively ok, although it's not as detailed as those we saw in the PoE collector's book for the various states/players in the Dyrwood. Neither of the two are. I meant the Huana flag more specifically, because that's a mix of stylised waves and a symbol which is often seen in PoE areas of Glanfathan ruins, in the Eir Glanfath's own emblem (page 57 of the collector's book), and in a more developed form, in the motif of the Engwithan machine on page 59.

My guess is that this motif was lifted straight from well known celtic patterns, see here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463842177717/ I haven't researched, but I guess this symbolizes the Sun. The fact that they slapped the same motif upon the Huana "waves" just makes it feel like someone had to quickly throw together some culture's logo. Disrespect for your own lore.

Edit: found some explanation of the symbol here: https://www.blarney.com/triskele-_-triple-spiral-_-tri/

Last edited:

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
I wish they would do something like an Egyptian based like culture...

But that would have to be Pillars 3 because that would be out of place in the pseudo-Polynesian setting of Deadfire. Unless they had one Egyptian themed island, but that one island would hardly do it the justice it deserves, so it would make more sense for something like that to wait for a new game where it can be explored more in depth.

BTW, have you ever played the Treasures of the Sun DLC for Dungeon Siege III? That is very ancient Egyptiany in theme.

Quillon

Arcane
What's so special about Egyptian theme that people want certain games to take place in there/use the theme? Mummies and statues and pyramids & shit; all boring stuff, not to mention one type rag-wear clothing and very limited color palette except jewelry. Never found it appealing. Its claustrophobic & agoraphobic at the same time, a crowded keep and desert all around.

Not to mention I don't know shit about ancient Egypt except all the boring shit I saw in movies & games.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I wish they would do something like an Egyptian based like culture...
Well, lets just say that this setting has enough soul to tackle an egyptian based culture.

The battle for eternity begins.

gods-of-egypt-poster-art-film-images-movie-b-1024x512.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom