Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jezal_k23

Combat changes are major :decline:

Why the fuck spend money and resources on patching and reworking PoE1, when they're just gonna hit a reset button for the sequel and basically remake the entire combat from the ground up? With PoE 3.0 combat being quite enjoyable, I thought they will just take that system to the sequel, maybe add a little bit more balance (TM).

Fucking seriously, for a second there I thought this has all the makings of a great sequel. They have the money, they had time to prepare, they already have the technology, they already have the lore, they already have the systems, what can possibly go wrong? Well apparently, Josh can go full retard and start changing fucking everything, because some neckbeards got high on Mountain Dew and kept backtracking for camping supplies after every fight.

Meh.

:littlemissfun:

Yes, I thought the patching of PoE was essentially work they were doing to get the systems in a good place for the sequel, not that they would change everything.

I backed as a fan of PoE who enjoys the game in its patched state, and hoped that the sequel would improve upon what was built from the process. I'm definitely inclined to think they jumped the shark with these major changes, but before judging I want to hear more details, hopefully read an update about how it's going to work.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That last stretch goal... really, Obsidian?

Who the fuck cares about Korean language, WE NEED JAPANESE IF ANYTHING.

Plus more voice over... ugh, I hate seeing money go to waste, especially when voice acting in videogames is really a hit or miss.

Deleted Member 16721

I find it interesting they are changing that many mechanics. I figured Obsidian was going to try to make their ruleset/world like a "new" Dungeons & Dragons, i.e. a fleshed-out rulest that can be used for other RPGs in the world, as well as a universal setting that could be used.

I thought they missed an opportunity there with Tyranny in that regard, as well as not making PoE2 essentially the BG2 to to PoE's first game. Ah well, there is room for an RPG dev out there to do that, IMO.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I backed as a fan of PoE who enjoys the game in its patched state, and hoped that the sequel would improve upon what was built from the process.
Funny thing, I backed PoE as a fan of the IE games, hoping that it would improve upon what was built with them.

Also, this new stretch goal is a bad joke.

Quillon

Arcane
Dafuq? They changed it! For a moment it read "Level cap 18-20 & Korean"

I was about to ask you WTF. Weird. I guess now we know it's coming though.

Well, it was a given. Guess we'll see whatever's replacing stronghold after $3M.

Maybe Obs is too self confident with these SGs... AI, UI etc are good but not hype infusing per se.

Anyway, 1 to 20 lvls. It'll be a biiig game.

I skimmed through the last 10 pages or so and apparently vancian magic is out. What caused Sawyer to become so cuck I don't even...

Any other massive mechanics change Sawyer announced?

Also where was it announced that PoE 2 will be up to lv20? Fig campaign doesn't indicate it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's p. underwhelming. They need to learn from Trump Fargo and promise something truly mind-blowing. Something that they could much later cut to enjoy the ensuing drama.
If the angle from which you are trying to ironise is that I want bombastic stretch goals, you are wrong.

It's a bad joke, as in, not something I would strive towards. The amount of VO was just fine in PoE. This is supported by the majority even on Obsidian's forum, i.e. it's information visible to Obsidian.

Yeah, it's p. underwhelming. They need to learn from Trump Fargo and promise something truly mind-blowing. Something that they could much later cut to enjoy the ensuing drama.
Thaos on building a wall around Dyrwood:
"I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our north east border, and I will make Readceras pay for that wall. Mark my words."

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think more voice acting is a smart stretch goal for their own part. I don't give two shits about it, but I have seen many comments about more voice acting. As long as it doesn't hurt the game and they cut corners in other areas because of it, I don't care.

jungl

Augur
spellcasters SHOULD be op if classes like rogue and Barbarian LOL instant gib shit for 200+ damage in 6 seconds of combat mid late game. Pillars of eternity WAS supposed to be the spiritual successor of infinity engine games where spell casters were awesome. They were not supposed to be beta bucks you pull out to CC dragons and occasionaly aoe groups.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think more voice acting is a smart stretch goal for their own part. I don't give two shits about it, but I have seen many comments about more voice acting. As long as it doesn't hurt the game and they cut corners in other areas because of it, I don't care.
I can't say I've seen many players complain of the lack of voice acting, but I'm sure I've seen a few retarded gamejournos who were baffled by the fact that not every line is voiced. There may have been also degenerates writing 3-line reviews on Metacritic, but that's it.

I'm weary of this because I've observed how a fully voiced game plays with D:OS. I don't want PoE going on the same route.

Edit: There's also The Game Analists who loves fully voiced games.

Sizzle

Arcane
Expected them to increase the level cap to 20 sooner or later. Incidentally, wasn't that also the level cap for most classes in BG2 (without ToB)?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If the angle from which you are trying to ironise is that I want bombastic stretch goals, you are wrong.
Nah. It really is underwhelming. I'd say I'm mildly surprised they didn't keep that L20 goal. They're too cautious for their own good.

The greater irony is that this "double V.O." goal can actually end up being quietly cut. VA costs can easily spiral out of control.

It's a bad joke, as in, not something I would strive towards. The amount of VO was just fine in PoE. This is supported by the majority even on Obsidian's forum, i.e. it's information visible to Obsidian.
I saw somewhere a comment or two with questions regarding the amount of VO. It seems that for some people it does matter, and Feargus even replied something akin to "We'll try to make more VO for the sequel".
I personally couldn't care less.
And yeah, I agree with prodigydancer that it's a very superfluous stretch goal, i.e. we have no means to know what amount of VO was initially planned. It's just a stretch goal for the sake of having a stretch goal.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't say I've seen many players complain of the lack of voice acting, but I'm sure I've seen a few retarded gamejournos who were baffled by the fact that not every line is voiced. There may have been also degenerates writing 3-line reviews on Metacritic, but that's it.
I've seen it on their boards and on other more mainstream forums.

I'd like to see some more interesting stretch goals by the end, though. All current stretch goals feel like they could have done them with out all the extra money. They are playing it smart this time around and not overdoing stretch goals. At the same time, it's a bit boring. I wonder if Fenstermaker will be a stretch goal or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All current stretch goals feel like they could have done them with out all the extra money.

All the stretch goals so far sound like stuff that's already included in the game.

I wouldn't be too convinced that all the mechanics-related stuff is "already in the game". It seems to me like most of the effort that has gone into the game's development over the past year is technical. Graphics, engine features. The mechanics at this point could still be largely a copy-paste of PoE1, waiting to be modified.

Turjan

Arcane
... or you level up after every fight...
Pillars Effect.
:D
Btw, I was only half-joking. Let's assume for a moment that most of the stretch goals are already done (with the obvious exception of things like localizations). Removing lots of "trash" encounters reduces the number of overall fights. The game is also supposed to be shorter. Then again, the goal seems to be to give you less abilities (one spell per level, etc.) per level-up. The existing 16 levels get stretched across 20 levels, and all of this means more level-ups per fights, without changing much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom