Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. Thorgeim Barely Literate

Thorgeim
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I had to create an account to react to all this. I know this place is very anti-SJW. I dont like them either but usually keep it to myself ... This game though, oh man.
    I was really happy when I started, I didnt do any research on the political status so didnt know about all this. Game seemed awesome in fact, combat pretty good, graphics are amazing for this sort of game.

Anyway, I put in couple of hours and start noticing strange things, mainly writing, dialogues and NPCs. Especially the voice overs, since everything is voiced I head more and more high pitched squally female voices, at first I thought I was just imagining things.
    But another 2 hours in I knew something was wrong. Out of 4 faction leaders I met, 3 were female .. OK .. out of like 8 Blacksmith I met, 7 were women !! Jail master? Of course, female... Pirate Lord? Of course female, you kill the only male pirate leader and of course he is weak, stupid and the Female Lord is happy about his death in the end (of course).

Then I start noticing all this gay/lezbo nonsense in the game I mean what did I get in to ???
    I actually liked POE, finished it and was looking forward to some more but didnt see this coming...

Im all for equality but dear god ... oh and dont tell my missus lol

• Funny x 10
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Max Edge Educated

Max Edge
    Parrots:
    It's a girl, but I have strange feelings, that could be more...fluent.

To complete description they should add,that she like to read manga and writing fanfic with she posting on her Tumblr. Or they do...?

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/834883376330899458

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    ^ Top  
  3. C.H.A.R.L.I.E Novice

C.H.A.R.L.I.E
    Parrots:
    what does it even mean? you saw women and don't wanna play?

Personally i don't care about the sjw content but overall the writing in this game is atrocious - like that dwarf dropping f-bombs in a scripted VO encounter, or when the narrator talks for minutes about some dudes face when he already got a portrait in the dialog box. Or that lantern girl :retarded:

while i don't care about the sjw stuff in particular, there does seem to be a correlation between that agenda and inane writing across titles

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cynicus Augur

Cynicus
    Parrots:
    A person playing this or any other game for "romance" of any kind has probably been enjoying celibacy for a long time already and will continue doing so.

Ennyhoo, I got my mitts on this thing for a few hours last night while downing a few brews at a bro's house. Here's my IMO:

-- Visually, the game looks nice.

-- What I heard of the music was good.

-- Performance was fine considering it's Unity, but I'm not sure what gear was in the box and didn't think to ask. It's not a toaster or new, so mid-range I'd say.

-- I didn't notice any bugs aside from the save game category fuck up that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

-- The char creation sequence is ponderous. Let me build Charname and then start the story please.

-- I didn't get deep enough to encounter any serious combat, and it might be the beer talking, but I didn't find the combat quite as spastic and clusterfucky as I did in POE. I'm still not crazy about it, but I admit to being biased. RTWP is an abomination that should have been killed in its infancy.

-- I played neither this game nor POE enough to make any calls about changes to the rules. Things seem more straight-forward this time around, however.

-- Charname was raping skellies and fisting pigs like they weren't even there. Had one bandit encounter than was semi-interesting due to the situation, but encounters have been nothing to write home about so far.

-- The CYOA segements are more numerous than I recall them being in POE. Not a bad thing, imo, since they seem to be used to good effect.

-- Overland travel seems okay. I didn't encounter any wandering monsters traveling between the ship and the port town. If there aren't any at all, son, I am disappoint. I did hit a COYA segment, which is fine.

-- I like the setting, but I'm a sailfag.

-- The main plot is "eh" but I'm not the best judge. In CRPGs, give me solid rules and an interesting world with interesting things to do and kill in it, and I'm happy. I'm sick of "you are super-duper-special and the world is counting on you" fantasy plots. Tired of mingling with gods, too.

-- Dialog has been serviceable. I don't recall cringing at least, so that's something.

-- Quest design seems pedestrian or downright rote from what I saw.

-- Was making levels pretty quick. I'm not sure what the level cap is, but gonna be banging against it quick at this rate.

-- Aside from Eder and the ship's crew, the only companion I met was Xoti or whatever her name was. She didn't annoy me, but I can see where she might. The best party member so far is the white bird (a pre-order thing I think). Keeps his beak shut and does his job.

-- The majority of the voice acting I heard was passable. The only thing that sounded off to me was the opening narration. The girl they used has the voice of a high-schooler, and it didn't fit.

-- Regarding SJW incursions, I didn't see anything egregious. Then again, as I said, I only played a short ways into the game. The jailer in the port town and the Stormcaller from the native village were the only womyn-of-authority I recall.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Naraya Savant

Naraya
    Parrots:
    In a way I envy you since I am unable to enjoy games pushing their agenda down my throat. That's not a big deal though as there are countless others worth playing.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Thorgeim Barely Literate

Thorgeim
    Parrots:
    Play some more. I thought the same at first. Then got the full party (also found out there isnt many to choose from...) and went to the big town up north. Thats when I realized the SJW content was much worse. So I saved the game and went randomly exploring, just trying out towns and various "professions" and oh man did it get bad.

• Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cynicus Augur

Cynicus
    Parrots:
    Nah, man. I'm good. I wasn't playing on my own copy, and I'm not planning on buying it any time soon. I was just curious to play the game for myself and took the opportunity when it presented itself. I already knew that the game had the SJW taint, although I'm surprised the man-hater sect was allowed to run rampant to this degree. Polarizing your customer base isn't the smartest business move, even if they think some of them are "garbage humans" or "shitgoblins" for not supporting their crusade. Still gotta pay the bills.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Thorgeim Barely Literate

Thorgeim
    Parrots:
    It baffles me though that NONE of the reviews mention any of this... I didnt know this was going to happen before playing the game, sadly I didnt read these threads until after I've discovered it, had 0 clue basically. I was that much more agitated when I started getting the sjw vibe from the game. Its not like they're trying to hide it either.

• Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Max Edge Educated

Max Edge
    Parrots:
    I found PoE very boring. They had ambitions, they started of dark, renaissance world and adult history inspired by Torment. But, on some moment of production, they decided to make bland, unfunny copycat Forgotten Realms. This "not Hobbits" Orlans connected with silly conception taking XP, little SJW incursion and Icewind vibes just throw me up from game.

So, I hadn't big expectations about II. Only more SJW, rubbish and battering on sentiment. I wonder what they do next - there is no thrid Baldurs Gate (game on Ps2 doesn't count)? portraits there was only confirmations, that my decision about to not buy PoE2 was good. Besides, I just like pretty girls.

We live in world ruled by ideological oppression. If you just pointing things, on example "in this game is more woman in power than men", with is neutral statement, for rest you are sexist. That is the reason why nobody talk about that.
    In my langue is expression: "święty spokój", literally "saint calm", what means "state of not disturbanced life". Like this guy:

http://i.4cdn.org/v/1526032625210.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is no many true SJW. Most of people just want to have "święty spokój". That is base fo every social oppresion.

But there is a hope. Some people asking questions. Looking for alternatives. I had that with Inquisition. I didn't understand why there is so many woman (60%-70% pprobably), why game community call everybody "sexist", why they have a problem with woman walk (yes!), why this: https://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/category/bioware/.

You know, all power of this cultural formation, called colloquially SJW, brace on fear and "święty spokój". But oppression getting stronger and stronger and even Alan Moore became "sexist and racist" (https://fistfulofscience.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/alan-moores-misogynistic-legacy/). That induce people to resist and this and other forums are signals of incoming change.

Edit:

Tron, you are Grand Master of Autism Order.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    I could see this shit in Tyranny and I expected it here, such a fine game with nice art style in the hands of fucking modern slack jawed faggots. And the worst part is that they would probably call you misogynist for wanting some fucking believability in a fucking videogame.

And the game started fine. Seriously fuck them for fucking this generation, I will be well old before this shit gets corrected.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    To me that sounds like an excuse for one of the Feargus moments MCA talked about.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Feargus doesn't strike me as a guy who particularly cares about this kind of thing, especially looking at the kinds of books he likes.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Feargus doesn't strike me as a guy who reads books at all. That list is just a virtual bookcase to showcase his literary erudition. It is there to keep up appearances.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:

• Informative x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. janjetina Arcane

janjetina
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    This degenerate crap puts this game firmly into the "won't even pirate, let alone buy" territory.

• Agree x 9
    • Brofist x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Yeah two my biggest complaints so far are\

1)Interface sucks donkey balls
    2) The game should have been renamed to LGBT Archipelago.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Can any of you guess who is the poster who rated my post above as old?

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    Let the man post the news Blake.

^ Top  
  19. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    True Pillows of Ennui sequel:
    :d1p:

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sothpaw Learned

Sothpaw
    Parrots:
    Peak of 20K players on Steam. After this and the Tyranny disaster I wonder if Obsidian stays afloat.

At the very least I don't expect to see another isometric game from them anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    But they keep finding publishers to take advantage of and some players will keep buying their games not matter how many bugs and dike pandering they throw at them.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Lol there's huge thread on Steam forums with people bitching that the bathouse where NPCs have their dicks out is a hidden SJW agenda.

Like, what?

Also, quick check has it at 21k right now. Definitely isn't moving nearly as many copies as DOS2, but it ain't Torment-sized flop either.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    To be honest I did not pay the full price for the game but playing it feels like paying the full price ... for being stupid.

What I'm trying to say is that despite all the ((improvements) the game is boring as fuck. Atm I'm contemplating dropping it cause I'm sick of watching endless streams of useless shit text.

The writing tries to inspire awe in the reader but at some point there is enough awe a human can take. Besides it is bad, not every description must be ineffable or convoluted just for the sake of it.

A PoE2 character doesn't simply say "I don't know"; he rants for 3 paragraphs and then it ends stating that "Based on the Special Council's investigation at the moment we cannot assert if we know shit about what you asked but thank you for asking and reading this. Fuck you sucker. HeHe".

Then you have the most imbecilic relationships ever implemented: you can have a ((relationship)) with a character after the first encounter while nothing is safe from your dick. You can ((romance)) anyone or at least all the companions. A sign of solid writing.

Eder, Aloth, the dwarf and many others could turn gay as fast as the next dialog line pops in. It all depends on your shitty taste. I mean it makes sense, war vets often turn gay while fighting. That's the reason why they cannot into civil life afterwards. Just saying.

PoE2 writing is what happens when a group of hair-colored Pocahontas takes over Obsidian's writing department ... while the last talented writer was deownered like a little bitch.

:negative:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    Yeah its actually really sad, because to be honest I love the art style. Its a beautiful game ensnared by a shit setting and hunger games tier critical role grills. I want to see more for now but its so much soul crushing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)