Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Maybe they all will suffer amnesia after shipwreck, so lvl 1 and no more Watcher stuff.

Sizzle

Arcane
Maybe they all will suffer amnesia after shipwreck, so lvl 1 and no more Watcher stuff.

I expect something like a shipwreck to take away your phat loot, but I doubt they will delevel or inflict amnesia on you. And the Watcher stuff is almost certainly there to stay, too.

Sizzle

Arcane
Guess I need to finish my expansion playthrough, if it means I can import my character to the sequel.

You don't have to finish it (though you should if you liked PoE at least a little, it's a good expansion pack), the option to import a non-TWM character will definitely exist (just like with non-ToTSC BG1).

JS even said (in the third Director's Commentary Twitch stream) that maybe they'll do something similar to what BioWare did with the Dragon Age Keep for all the people who haven't played PoE1, but still want to customize their PC's choices.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Would be interesting (as someone mentioned before) that you start as a lvl 1 avatar of Eothas and work your way up. Battling servants of other gods, C&C, etc.

Oh boy, a man can only dream :)

Prime Junta

JS even said (in the third Director's Commentary Twitch stream) that maybe they'll do something similar to what BioWare did with the Dragon Age Keep for all the people who haven't played PoE1, but still want to customize their PC's choices.

I'd really dig that approach actually. Having to do a full playthrough to explore those choices is a bit extreme...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'd really dig that approach actually. Having to do a full playthrough to explore those choices is a bit extreme...
even when i was a neet i would think twice to do that lol

Rev

Arcane
Dragon Age Keep is the last good idea that came out of BioWare, too bad it was done in function of one of the most shitty games of all time.
By the way, it's not really confirmed that PoE 2 will let us import our previous PCs and continue the Watcher's story. It's all speculation at the moment.

Sizzle

Arcane
By the way, it's not really confirmed that PoE 2 will let us import our previous PCs and continue the Watcher's story. It's all speculation at the moment.

Well, PoE2 isn't even officially confirmed, even though everyone knew it was coming ever since late 2015 :D

And I think it's safe to say they'll continue with the Baldur's Gate series model with the sequel, and that it will feature the same protagonist as the first one.

800px-Final_2.jpg

Rev

Arcane

Well, PoE2 isn't even officially confirmed, even though everyone knew it was coming ever since late 2015 :D

And I think it's safe to say they'll continue with the Baldur's Gate series model with the sequel, and that it will feature the same protagonist as the first one.

800px-Final_2.jpg
Well, that screen doesn't really mean much, you know. A lot of games end with the epilogue saying something like "and this was just the beginning of his/her tale" only to have the next instalment feature a new PC (on the top of my head I can think of NWN OC, MotB, maybe DA:O that had similar ending texts).

By the way, I'd like to continue with the same character I made for PoE and have them follow a BG model. I was just pointing out that it's not really something set in stone at the moment.

Sentinel

Arcane

800px-Final_2.jpg
Well, that screen doesn't really mean much, you know. A lot of games end with the epilogue saying something like "and this was just the beginning of his/her tale" only to have the next instalment feature a new PC (on the top of my head I can think of NWN OC, MotB, maybe DA:O that had similar ending texts).

By the way, I'd like to continue with the same character I made for PoE and have them follow a BG model. I was just pointing out that it's not really something set in stone at the moment.
Except PoE is supposed to be a BG sequel in spirit. It's supposed to emulate the epic-adventure of Baldur's Gate.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Sizzle

Arcane

Of course, but given all the info we have about it now - everything pointing to the same character - I'd say the odds of PoE2 not having the same PC as PoE1 are very low.

Prime Junta

yeah they're totally going to bring back the companion characters but not the PC

srsly ppl

Rev

Arcane
Except PoE is supposed to be a BG sequel in spirit. It's supposed to emulate the epic-adventure of Baldur's Gate.
And T:ToN was supposed to be the spiritual successor of Planescape: Torment, yet it's coming to consoles, has a max party of four PCs, different combat system, characters that seem to be made for Tumblr and other shits that has nothing to do with its "inspiration".

Sentinel

Arcane
And T:ToN was supposed to be the spiritual successor of Planescape: Torment, yet it's coming to consoles, has a max party of four PCs, different combat system, characters that seem to be made for Tumblr and other shits that has nothing to do with its "inspiration".
They only said that to con people. Brian Fargo is the ultimate master conman. Anyone who didn't see that TToN had nothing to do with PST from the very start is a fucking retard who deserved to have their money taken away from them.
Besides, two very different companies. PoE is a PC-exclusive, delivered on what it set out to do. Can't say the same for InXile.
Anyway, it's all but confirmed. End slides leave the player on a cliffhanger, Sawyer pretty much begged people not to delete their saves in the last stream, and the majority of people will draw comparisons between PoE2 and BG2. One of the key things about BG2 is that it continued the story of the first game, and that included transferring the player character.
Doesn't mean that there won't be a twist where it's revealed at the end the player character was Eothas all along.

Rev

Arcane
They only said that to con people. Brian Fargo is the ultimate master conman. Anyone who didn't see that TToN had nothing to do with PST from the very start is a fucking retard who deserved to have their money taken away from them.
Besides, two very different companies. PoE is a PC-exclusive, delivered on what it set out to do. Can't say the same for InXile.
Anyway, it's all but confirmed. End slides leave the player on a cliffhanger, Sawyer pretty much begged people not to delete their saves in the last stream, and the majority of people will draw comparisons between PoE2 and BG2. One of the key things about BG2 is that it continued the story of the first game, and that included transferring the player character.
Doesn't mean that there won't be a twist where it's revealed at the end the player character was Eothas all along.
Well, I kind of agree with you here, both on the differences between Obsidian and inXile and the fact that it's not unlikely that PoE2 will let us import our Watcher, I just think it's not completely obvious since there are examples of sequels featuring new stories/chars even when the previous ones would suggest otherwise. No point in further arguing this, tho.
Hopefully, we'll all know (this and other things about PoE2) for sure in a few days.

Quillon

Arcane
The easier thing with the save import will be NPC deaths, like all companions can be dead in a PoE1 save along with most NPCs(I haven't tried this in PoE but heard that we can't kill Lady Webb?) and in PoE2 its likely that we'll be able to kill anyone as the moment we see them as in PoE1 so it shouldn't be hard to implement that possibly persisting NPCs won't persist in PoE2 if they died in PoE1. In any other game this would've been a lot harder to implement.

As I understand there was no such save import that imports choices from BG1 to 2 other than character's stats.

Its still not clear we'll continue as the watcher tho, I'd like to but most people don't like The Watcher[2: Assassins of Gods] for some reason.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Because the Watcher is a foreign element in their own story and has no agency? And companions miraculously coming alive is in BG2's tradition, sooo.

Quillon

Arcane
Because the Watcher is a foreign element in their own story and has no agency?

Story wasn't good and there weren't really "branching" choices but its hardly watcher's fault. Watcher is just a blank-slate character with a "thing", changing it to some other character won't do anything better magically. They can improve watcher abilities in combat and in dialogue more and not treat it as an affliction this time around, that could be a start.

And companions miraculously coming alive is in BG2's tradition, sooo.

They won't in this one: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/814584461316624384

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they're going to introduce a companion every day now, then we may already know how many companions there are going to be. Tomorrow will be interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom