Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
He's not wrong in the last paragraph, although I would argue that vanilla BG1's open world wilderness also fit well with resting.

"yeah you're right but to balance the per encounter shit out we just nerfed all the powerful spells lol!"
???

Nerfing isn't bad if it's not a reduction of the spell's power. People don't want weak spammy spells with no impact, a powerful spell that takes longer to cast is fine.
He seems to imply that in addition to increasing cast times, they also reduced the spell's effectiveness.

Sentinel

Arcane

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He's not wrong in the last paragraph, although I would argue that vanilla BG1's open world wilderness also fit well with resting.

In BG1 you weren't level bajillion and didn't have that many resources to begin with. It suffers from too lax an approach to resting, we all know this, but it kinda doesn't really matter because in the vast majority of the game you didn't have too many spells and the "spam 5 fireballs each encounter and rest" wasn't an option at all. Yeah, at the end you could, but that's where SCS comes in. SCS in BG2 actually makes it so you have 1 rest in Irenicus' dungeon and it's pretty tight even if you aren't too spammy.

Sannom

Augur
He seems to imply that in addition to increasing cast times, they also reduced the spell's effectiveness.
We don't know about their effectiveness, but we do know there are less spells overall and less spells available during combat. From what I've understood of how Wizards will work in PoE 2, they will still be D&s's Sorcerers, but this time they will also have the limitations of one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
less spells overall

rating_citation.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Every spell in PoE is just garish, flamboyant colors jizzed in your face without any meaty (pun intended) impact. That's why nothing feels powerful, not the numbers behind them, even if they hit for 1 million damage. Their success is also unclear, it's very hard to tell whether your spell affected an enemy or not.

Fry

Arcane
Seems sufficiently clear to me.

What do you want, a clip of Sawyer screaming YOUR SPELL HIT MOTHERFUCKER every time something lands?

Azarkon

Arcane
Every spell in PoE is just garish, flamboyant colors jizzed in your face without any meaty (pun intended) impact. That's why nothing feels powerful, not the numbers behind them, even if they hit for 1 million damage. Their success is also unclear, it's very hard to tell whether your spell affected an enemy or not.

Intended. After all, the computer is doing the calculations, so why would you need to know anything? :balance: Probably the reason the game has so many status effects that no mere human can possibly keep track of.

cannondwarf

Scholar
Tayn's Chaotic Orb, Concelhaut's Crushing Doom and Death Ring all feel fairly powerful I'd say

Lacrymas

Arcane
It would actually be nice to have Josh popping up saying TOASTY! for critical hits.

It would at least be something. Crits and sneak attacks aren't differentiated with sounds or animations, so I have to constantly peek at my combat log to see if I'm landing sneak attacks or not. In the IE games, crits and backstabs felt impactful and attention grabbing, with the characters even having voiced quips to indicate they've landed a crit. Backstabs had a unique sound effect attached to them. More of that, less wet noodle, please.

polo

Magister
I'm actually playing PoE now, first time i played it was when it came out and i left it at Defiance Bay and never touched it again until now. I must say, combat is a fucking mess, and spells do not feel powerfull at all. I mean, the way my mage does most damage is invoking a big staff (lvl 1 spell), or blight something (lvl3 spell)., which invokes some kind of elemental wand. There are some big shiny pretty spells, but they don't feel impactful at all really, just something like "oh ok, im gonna damage a lil bit every enemy"-> *throws fireball*.

Quillon

Arcane
C'mon people, this is not 3rd action shooter, stop talking about sophisticated features like sound design, spell impacts or visual presentation. Talk about real shit what matters!

:P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom