Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It IS logical that the companions can help you out in dialogue [...]

Only if it is reflected in actual dialogue and not by background simulations.
Say that you fail to strike a bargain with a merchant, but then Pallegina chimes in with her trading knowledge (in-dialogue) and gets you that fat discount... that I could get behind.
In comparison, Sawyer's goal is just a wierd simulation of group effort.

It's a weird simulation of group effort that is a hell of a lot more cost effective than actually writing interjections for every companion and every possible skill check in every possible dialogue... Obviously, the latter would be preferable, but it's so time intensive it would never ever happen (or be implemented a handful of times, total... like the Sagani option in TWM.)

So between weird simulation and companions offering nothing to the conversation, I'll go with the first.

Prime Junta

Hmm, how do they handle the documentation? Sounds like an easy trap here is to have the diminished effect be a "hidden" version of supressed in that instead of clearly seeing the incompatibility you instead have the effect reduced without knowing?

I think the approach to equipment is to put certain bonuses on certain slots only. E.g. CON bonuses on boots and chest only, DEX bonuses on boots and gloves only, INT bonuses on head and neck only, and so on. I.e. you would only ever be able to stack two bonuses of the same type simply due to item availability.

The idea works for me and if the slots are thematically appropriate it would feel quite natural. Boots of Intellect or Gloves of Constitution would feel rather odd anyway.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm, how do they handle the documentation? Sounds like an easy trap here is to have the diminished effect be a "hidden" version of supressed in that instead of clearly seeing the incompatibility you instead have the effect reduced without knowing?

I think the approach to equipment is to put certain bonuses on certain slots only. E.g. CON bonuses on boots and chest only, DEX bonuses on boots and gloves only, INT bonuses on head and neck only, and so on. I.e. you would only ever be able to stack two bonuses of the same type simply due to item availability.

The idea works for me and if the slots are thematically appropriate it would feel quite natural. Boots of Intellect or Gloves of Constitution would feel rather odd anyway.

How very D&D3.5/Pathfinder of them. I approve

What I like about Josh and Pillars is whenever you have concerns about certain things in the game, you can just straight-up ask Josh, and he will answer. Don't remember such openness expressed by any other game developer.

He hasn't answered my question about full customization control over NPCs :negative:

Sannom

Augur
Say that you fail to strike a bargain with a merchant, but then Pallegina chimes in with her trading knowledge (in-dialogue) and gets you that fat discount... that I could get behind.
I want both. Situations in which a character's skills and history allow them to interject and solve a problem for you (similar to how Safiya's education in magic allowed her to perform feats that were available to you if you had a high Study Magic skill), independent of their skill level, and a system in which skill points attributed to party members for conversation skills don't feel like a waste. And I don't think they're opposites who can't work with together.

Mazisky

Magister
Do you mean like it was for stronghold defenders in PoE 1?

They said u'll be recruiting ship crew members, and those will level up

No, the adventurers you hire at taverns. Custom companions.

Ah sorry then. Tbh i don't know but it should be a given considering we get only 7 companions. No reason they remove that feature, altough with the removal of endurance, you can't be sure

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Why are people upset at the removal of Endurance?
Weren't you guys saying it was dumb as shit and retarded and needless when PoE came out?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think people were more upset about how little Endurance characters have and how easy it is for enemies to knock them out, not the Health/Endurance thing in general.

Mazisky

Magister
Why are people upset at the removal of Endurance?
Weren't you guys saying it was dumb as shit and retarded and needless when PoE came out?

Haters gonna hate.

I didn't find the system bad when it was announced, i thought it was nice, so i wonder why they remove it

Sizzle

Arcane
I want both. Situations in which a character's skills and history allow them to interject and solve a problem for you (similar to how Safiya's education in magic allowed her to perform feats that were available to you if you had a high Study Magic skill), independent of their skill level, and a system in which skill points attributed to party members for conversation skills don't feel like a waste. And I don't think they're opposites who can't work with together.

Spot on, this would be ideal.

It really would be fantastic if certain companions gave you options in quests/conversations/scripted interactions you otherwise wouldn't have.

Like, for example, the Vailian Trading Company (or whatever it's exactly called) would look on you more favorably if you had Pallegina in the party when talking with them. Or having Eder/Xoti, who are both versed in Eothas lore, point things out for you if your own lore/metaphysics/religion/whatever skill is too low.

Just some little things that would fit their personalities, back story, and skillsets.

That's why that situation with Sagani in TWM2 was so good. There's no "parenting" skill in the game, but, as was established since almost the very first conversation you had with her - she's a mother to several children, and knows how to handle unruly kids. More situations like that would be welcome in PoE2 - where companions can help out according to what they and what they're like (not just in regards to combat).

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Like, for example, the Vailian Trading Company (or whatever it's exactly called) would look on you more favorably if you had Pallegina in the party when talking with them.

Depends, did you fuck up the trade agreement no to go to hard on Defiance Bay or did you go the Trump way and decided to get the Best Deal !® ?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
altough with the removal of endurance, you can't be sure

That is because it was deemed to be bad design. I think the flexibility hirelings add was almost universally considered a positive; those who disliked it could choose to ignore it and weren't really PoE's target audience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why would it be bad design, though? It simply removed the need to cast a bajillion heal spells after every fight while also providing incentive to rest to replenish Health.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=414#updates

Update #37 - From the Feed of the Director Part II
POSTED: 07/11/2017

Hello, everyone! In our latest "From the Feed of the Director", we're taking a deep dive into Josh's Twitter and Instagram pages once more to see what gems of fascination we can glean about Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Our guide for this journey is Producer, Katrina Garsten. She will help us navigate news about abilities, a look at Maia's animal companion, what Deadfire Exec. Producer and Lead Programmer Adam Brennecke has been doing with text and VFX in combat, and what happens when you give an ogre alcohol in the Deadfire. Protip: don't. Or, totally do! It's your adventure, after all. Take it away, Katrina!

As Katrina mentioned, our next update will take an in-depth look at the Deadfire's big city, Neketaka, and we'll see how far it's come since the Fig campaign ended. Lead Designer, Bobby Null, will be your guide on a tour of Neketaka and its environments.

And don't forget that Josh will be joined by Lead Character Artist, Dimitri Berman, tomorrow afternoon, July 12th, on our Twitch channel for another Deadfire Q&A Stream at 4:00PM PST/1:00AM CEST. Let us knowyour questions, and we'll try to get to all of them during the stream. If you miss the stream, we'll get it up on our YouTube channel within 48 hours of it airing.

Until next time, everyone!

Be sure to join the conversation and our community over on our forums. And, in case you missed it, check out our last update!

Starwars

Arcane
The "let's show what Josh has already shown on his social media!" updates are a bit lame I think. I do look forward to the next update about the big city though, should be good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A barbarian who dual-wields pistols? Interesting. Can this be done in PoE1?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom