Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there anywhere to see where the pledge amount currently sits? How do we know this isn't just smoke and mirrors and these were already planned (like the rest of the stretch goals?)

Mazisky

Magister
I hoped they would reach the 4.5 because the crew thing is very cool for immersion, now they can even end here i won't care

2house2fly

Magister
BTW, idea for bringing back Cadegund:

Christine & Elijah --> Cadegund & Durance
There's no god damn reason on earth they can't have Cadegund in the game as a sidekick and I'll be furious if they don't. It even works for their plot, priestess of the goddess who killed Eothas could have plenty to say about him stamping around in your statue

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=284#updates

Update # 21: $4.5 Million Attained! Ship Crews Unlocked!
POSTED: 03/02/2017
We wanted to let all of you fans and backers know that we've hit $4.5 million and unlocked another stretch goal, the ability to find and hire crews for your ship!

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F5c1fb6c182ac1a7bc3f662e39f0b483415b97174%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1488400341

Before we kick off, though, we're giving a quick shout out to one of our favorite titles: Torment: Tides of Numenera from our good friends at inXile Entertainment, which was just released yesterday! Just like Pillars II, Torment is an isometric, party-driven, cRPG, but Torment takes its inspiration directly from Planescape: Torment and the award-winning Numenera pen-and-paper RPG by Monte Cook. Having played Torment, wefeel Pillars II fans will enjoy its unique setting, beautiful art, and intricate gameplay.

Now, back to the stretch goal! If you recall, Ship Crews offer a whole new layer of interactivity for player ships: Find, hire, and manage a crew. Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

This also puts in reach our next two goals: Sea Monsters and Fishing at $4.75 million and, of course, our 8th Companion, Ydwin, at $5 million. As a reminder, the Pillars II developers gave some details on how Sea Monsters and Fishing would work in a previous update.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F7aa046753c7eb1f3e564dbf79a0593ed630ffc39%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1488400894

In Deadfire, fish will provide you with different rest bonuses and give you more recipes to cook up to help you on your adventures. Fishing will trigger scripted interactions on your boat where you can choose various baits you have collected and see what fish you can catch. Different areas on the world map will have different fish below the surface. You can be an occasional line-dropper or an expert fisherman. And who knows, maybe you'll hook some rare gear or run into sea monsters who have only been spoken of in tales...

We're excited to see if we can achieve the next two goals before the 60-day slacker-backer period is up!

So check out Torment and when you're ready, spread the word about our latest stretch goal achievements. Let's get to $5 million!
I don't really get the point of the crew to be honest. Seems like just a pointless "system" (which PoE1 stronghold was full of). I just hope we at least can make them sing chanties while we sail the seas, otherwise I really don't see the point.

Sizzle

Arcane
I don't really get the point of the crew to be honest. Seems like just a pointless "system" (which PoE1 stronghold was full of). I just hope we at least can make them sing chanties while we sail the seas, otherwise I really don't see the point.

Just another system from PoE1 (the hirelings at Caed Nua) they want to reiterate and expand upon.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The 4.5mil crew features seem fucking awesome to me.

Find, hire, and manage a crew for your ship.
Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. Crew members can gain experience and improve at their roles over time.
The crew's skills will improve how effective your ship is in combat situations, and the crew can be assigned to defend your ship in the case that you get boarded by a hostile force.
If your crew's morale isn't maintained, their effectiveness will go down, and, if you are a truly terrible captain to them, mutiny can even occur.
We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

Let's compare Crew Members to the Stronghold Units of Caed Nua.

Stronghold Units: Increase your Prestige and Security, which affects your annual income and rolls in random events respectively.
Crew Members: Increase the combat effectiveness of your ship, which influences the outcome of Naval CYOA Sequences and other story events.

Stronghold Units: Don't gain experience, and don't have specific roles.
Crew Members: Gain experience and improve over time, and can be tactically assigned to specific roles on your ship.

Stronghold Units: Will fight against invaders if Caed Nua is randomly attacked while you are traveling somewhere else. (Or if you get back to the stronhold in time, together with you.)
Crew Members: Will always fight alongside you in encounters while traveling the world map.

Stronghold Units: Aren't involved in or affected by events occuring in Caed Nua, will remain in your service until you stop paying their salaries regardless of your actions.
Crew Members: Are involved in and affected by events occuring on your ship, and have a dynamic morale which influences their effectiveness and will lead to unique events such as potential mutiny.​

Stronghold Units were just a section of a management system that might as well have been cut from the game entirely.
Your Crew Members on the other hand will travel alongside you, actively have an affect on your adventure and dynamically react to your actions. Things that compared to Stronghold management in PoE seems like a dream. The fact that there can be a mutiny excites me to no end! The C&C!

...h-have I become a shill?

Randal/Sherry...is that you?

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

Did someone call for a captain? :salute:

okay so hired goons in Pillars just stood around in Caed Nua all over depending on how many you had and each one gave a numeric value for defending against attacks and a minor bonus in protection against structural damage right? Nothing much came from it except making it a gold sink and a stronghold report on a little paper scroll at the end of the event while you were out doing more important things like crafting.

Deadfire will be different okay? Crew will also be responsible for repairs on the damage caused from battles against other pirates or sea creature attacks and depending on where the ship is anchored the crew will receive a bonus on repairs such as duration in hours/days and repair effectiveness that will also be tied into overall crew moral right. so an example would be taking heavy damage while out exploring the Deadfire Archipelago and anchoring along the coast of an island your crew may require 2 days to repair the ship to optimal efficiency and crew moral positive/negative reaction is subtracted/added to repair time and quality if you have the required materials. But being anchored and sailing back to Neketaka returns a more positive bonus in time spent on repairs and quality and also the crew can get some much needed R&R to boost moral too. Gold sink will be crew payment and material cost for ship repairs and ship upgrades.

Our crew will not be just some generic striped t-shirt men spitting on the deck and telling dumb sailor jokes between ship battles they will play a big part in ship maintenance based on anchored location and moral of how they are treated. A drunk crew could add an additional day worth of repair time due to recovery required as an example too.

I agree there should be sea shanty sung by the crew depending on moral you hear different songs while you are sailing this way you can listen to the sea shanty and get an idea of how the crew looks at their captain without going into a character or ship screen to see a low/high number like reputation. In BG series had a number but you also heard the pleasure/displeasure from party members right? So +1 on sea shanty idea!
heart.png

That is how I would do it if I was captain of this ship!

Thanks,
Sherry

Quillon

Arcane
Let's compare Crew Members to the Stronghold Units of Caed Nua.

Stronghold Units: Increase your Prestige and Security, which affects your annual income and rolls in random events respectively.
Crew Members: Increase the combat effectiveness of your ship, which influences the outcome of Naval CYOA Sequences and other story events.

Stronghold Units: Don't gain experience, and don't have specific roles.
Crew Members: Gain experience and improve over time, and can be tactically assigned to specific roles on your ship.

Stronghold Units: Will fight against invaders if Caed Nua is randomly attacked while you are traveling somewhere else. (Or if you get back to the stronhold in time, together with you.)
Crew Members: Will always fight alongside you in encounters while traveling the world map.

Stronghold Units: Aren't involved in or affected by events occuring in Caed Nua, will remain in your service until you stop paying their salaries regardless of your actions.
Crew Members: Are involved in and affected by events occuring on your ship, and have a dynamic morale which influences their effectiveness and will lead to unique events such as potential mutiny.
Stronghold Units were just a section of a management system that might as well have been cut from the game entirely.
Your Crew Members on the other hand will travel alongside you, actively have an affect on your adventure and dynamically react to your actions. Things that compared to Stronghold management in PoE seems like a dream. The fact that there can be a mutiny excites me to no end! The C&C!

And what we're overlooking is:

Find, hire, and manage a crew

Meaning we won't hire the crew through an interface but we'll find them in the gameworld which means they'll have unique names, personalities and may also have quests attached to them. We might "earn" crew members as quest rewards and already hired crew members might have some quests for us to do.

I guess :P

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This already happened in PoE.. sometimes, to a degree. Like the Ogre hireling. Or the faction-specific hirelings.

I expect the devs will greatly expand on this in PoE 2 though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who here has played Trials of the Luremaster for IWD? It should be an obligatory thing to play through for area/dungeon designers, as well as for anyone thinking that "we're doing a 15 levels dungeon" is enough to guarantee a good experience.

Suicidal

Arcane
Fishing as a stretch goal? Seriously? Seems Obsidian is going after the Runescape player base...

Sentinel

Arcane
Fishing as a stretch goal? Seriously? Seems Obsidian is going after the Runescape player base...
Probably running out of ideas and just want as many mini-games as possible, since fags love mini-games. I don't see the point of fishing or even hunting sea monsters.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't see the point of fishing or even hunting sea monsters.

It's a game. You should look harder, at least for hunting sea monsters... tho the context could be "defending against sea monsters" most of the time.

jungl

Augur
Fishing as a minigame been around games forever and probably the most common minigame in gaming. ps1 era games like breath of fire there npc you can trade fish in for rare items/gear. Tales of Berseria has you control a pirate crew you can tell explore they for you they fight battles and bring back items and recipes. I'm call it now that deadfire will have it worse then both these games.

Doma

Augur
Fishing as a minigame been around games forever and probably the most common minigame in gaming.

I was a beast at fishing in Lost Dutchman Mine on the Amiga. Always got the big fishes! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom