Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How we'll find out if they will reach the highest stretch goals post campaign?

They've said they'll try to add some sort of counter somewhere... maybe to the backer site... which includes paypal funds.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I been playing battle bros a lot and I been thinking between it and sir techs jagged alliance and wizardry 8. Wouldn't it be cool if pillars had some sort of morale/resolve system. Certain companions fight better slightly as group

There were a couple of talents and auras in PoE1 IIRC that created effects similar to this. Actually, all of the auras created variations of this.

Sizzle

Arcane
I been playing battle bros a lot and I been thinking between it and sir techs jagged alliance and wizardry 8. Wouldn't it be cool if pillars had some sort of morale/resolve system. Certain companions fight better slightly as group

There were a couple of talents and auras in PoE1 IIRC that created effects similar to this. Actually, all of the auras created variations of this.

The paladin is built around that - powerful support abilities for both groups (auras) and individuals (exhortations).

But it isn't really a morale system, it's just a bonus to attack/defense percentages, movement speed, things like that.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The paladin is built around that - powerful support abilities for both groups (auras) and individuals (exhortations).

But it isn't really a morale system, it's just a bonus to attack/defense percentages, movement speed, things like that.

I guess what is being described is a way to have to companion relationship system to have mechanical effects in battle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess what is being described is a way to have to companion relationship system to have mechanical effects in battle.

This is nothing new though, DA:O and NWN2 had bonuses depending on your relationship with the companions. This isn't a very good idea in practice because it forces you to game the dialogue choices to get the mechanical benefits you want. D:OS1 also had this problem with traits. This whole things needs to be thought-out better to circumvent/fix that.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

This is nothing new though, DA:O and NWN2 had bonuses depending on your relationship with the companions. This isn't a very good idea in practice because it forces you to game the dialogue choices to get the mechanical benefits you want. D:OS1 also had this problem with traits. This whole things needs to be thought-out better to circumvent/fix that.

Agreed. There's a fine line between giving relationships (any relationships) weight in the game and making the player feel like they have to do things a certain way or include certain people to avoid gimping themselves.

jungl

Augur
Paladin class is very static and boring. I'm talking about unique dialogue lines and buffs/debuffs that can trigger in combat if conditions are met. Pelleginas trait would be "stalwart" where if party members get knocked down and raised back up it has a chance to trigger. She releases slight aura gives everyone short deflect bluff. Essentially my idea is fluff but adds a cool dynamic to combat.

Quillon

Arcane

Agreed. There's a fine line between giving relationships (any relationships) weight in the game and making the player feel like they have to do things a certain way or include certain people to avoid gimping themselves.

I don't remember Obs mentioning any mechanical effects, they said if companions don't like you their barks will change during combat or out of combat; that Eder will say "carry it yourself" if you give him a piece of equipment.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I have to say, though, playing a Paladin felt exactly as stated; rather static and boring. I cannot, however, substantiate this beyond "It felt that way", today, because it's simply so long ago that I played PoE and I literally cannot remember why it felt so meh. Just that it did.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have to say, though, playing a Paladin felt exactly as stated; rather static and boring. I cannot, however, substantiate this beyond "It felt that way", today, because it's simply so long ago that I played PoE and I literally cannot remember why it felt so meh. Just that it did.

I suppose, if we are to believe Prime Junta, that it takes a while for the paladin to get going. I, unsuccessfully, tried to make an orlan paladin tank and it was very static at first. I didn't get to the later levels to know if that changes.

Parabalus

Arcane

I find fighters to be the same, and I mostly attribute that to the lack of position dependent abilities, unlike other melees. On monks/barbs/rogues you're trying to line up torment/carnage/sa constantly, while with these two it's click and single target abilities which you mostly use on combat start.

That's only really noticeable if you want to make them damage dealers, on a more micro-light role I really enjoy them primarily because of Liberating Exhortation+rest of them, Pallegina in particular since she also has the FoD haste buff.

If you time Liberating Exhortation you can really negate a lot of stuff since it lasts so long, if you time the end of the cast right you can outright suppress dangerous stuff like Cleansing Flames for the duration of combat without taking a single tick.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I never bothered with any of the classes beyond Priest and Cipher (still need to finish that playthrough). Most of the time, I play for the more RP fluffy character, which Priests fill. Moreover, with PoE I can always hire a purely combat companion (Wizard, Cipher, etc)

Wow this had the most disappointing stretch goals I could have imagined. Absolutely no extra plot content other than possibly more islands than before. The only upside I see is that they have more money to spend on more content anyway and the relationship writing will be written by some women as opposed to nerdy guys. But seriously, relationships?????

Prime Junta

I suppose, if we are to believe Prime Junta, that it takes a while for the paladin to get going. I, unsuccessfully, tried to make an orlan paladin tank and it was very static at first. I didn't get to the later levels to know if that changes.

A tank is obviously gonna be less active than a striker, and you can build a pretty passive paladin too if you want.

But if you want awesome-buttons, nobody has as many as the paladin (if you don't count spells), and most of 'em are per-encounter so you can mash them to your heart's content.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
giphy.gif

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

What an evening. No what a day spending it with Obsidian during the live Twitch stream and I recognized a few names in the chat too so we were all hanging out together. :D I was drinking. Dini was drinking and then suddenly everyone was drinking so a really big congratulations to the team for allowing us into your lives for the duration of the countdown and hitting a whooping $4,407,598! When I first joined the site I wasn't sure what to expect despite reading a number of threads and watching other rude comments but the Pillars and Deadfire thread has been more than any other forum experience for me. Since my first post here there is always countless new Deadfire information posted that all I had to do was press F5 whenever I got back to the computer and voila, a slew of knowledge.

Honestly I do not know if I would have found that information searching all the other sites out there or if I did it would be fake news. Last night was so much fun for me and hearing all about Deadfire and just seeing the faces of the people working on the game and just really being down to earth with their rum shots and drinking yucky beer was a wonderful way to connect a community with the developer of games. So thanks so much for this Codex for providing links and posts about when the videos went live.

And to Obsidian I cannot say enough about Pillars and how much hours of enjoyment it brought me but I am upset about Sagani but hoping to get attached to a new party in my cabin. I started screaming at hearing the shout-out to Codex and the pirate ship and TheSentinel and then Randal omg :o . It truly felt like my first concert to see Paula Abdul with all the growing excitement right to the end of the Twitch stream. When a developer gives a community an open shout-out you know the community is doing something right for the industry! :hug:

okay. I do not want to gush too much but a final thank-you also to the admin who keep the place up and running and read my request about a name change which was in the works for awhile. When I logged in this morning the request had come through so you all may remember me as my childhood pet's name Randal but from now on I am Sherry which goes with my mini portrait from Ultima 6 the series I grew up playing when I was little.
heart.png

My transformation is now complete. I am a true Codexer!

Thanks,
Sherry

Sherry

Arcane

Hi.

The beach and floating body part in the video they showed really stood out as a gasp moment. I gather we'll be able to reach the body where the sand is still lightly coloured and enter the water. It's pretty cool and may offer an insight into future areas such as a flooded cave or just a cave entrance off the water as the sea enters the cave before turning to stone/sand. The body shadow under the water is impressive too.

Some of my own questions went unanswered too like asking if equipment will be available to negate the effects of being slowed down by deep sand effects like show in another video, or some sort of goggles to wear to negate the loss of perception in a wind/tropical storm due to high winds. Or any other sort of equipment to help with negative environment effects but I am concerned about exploding barrels I just hope they are not scattered all over the world just so we can use them to blow up for combat specific areas. Yup. Here comes combat, just look at all those nicely placed barrels up ahead on such an empty beach right? One or two in places you would find barrels is okay but barrels placed to use in every combat situation is dumb.

Still no cloud shadows in any of the videos shown. Oh well. Who do I talk to for that? Is it Dimitri?

Thanks,
Sherry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom