Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
In the end I decided to back it, giving Obsidian another chance after the debacle that was PoE1. I rationalize it as being stretched too thin because of Kickstarter promises, so we'll see how they'll handle this one. It's not like it would break anyone's wallet in a first world country (though I live in a second world country at best and still doesn't). If I regret it later I'll have learned a valuable life lesson and will never give Obsidian anything anymore.

Randal, you need to have been on the Codex for 1 year to be able to use those icons.

2house2fly

Magister
I believe it was implied that he died in Anslög's Compass. You find this note and the body of a Vailian.

fulvanosletter2pjvm.png
The good thing about implying something is, you can contradict it and it doesn't matter so much. Fulvano turning out to be alive and the Vailian corpse just some guy who mugged him could be a funny twist.

How in the hell is health/endurance confusing. It's literally laid out for you on the character sheet.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
sheep.png
How in the hell is health/endurance confusing. It's literally laid out for you on the character sheet.

Because the average gamer is ...not the brightest. If you've ever seen a let's play of something other than a mindless action game you'll have noticed this. People get stuck on the most mundane puzzles (like the first one in Portal), play incredibly badly and make awful gameplay choices. I don't find it surprising that most people find it confusing.

Unrelated question: If I don't have enough funds in my debit card at the end of the campaign, does Fig do what Kickstarter does and notify me of that, trying to get the money off the card for 14 days after that? I'm just not certain if I have like 1-2 euro less than what I need.

Quillon

Arcane
I've watched buncha Tyranny streams release-eve and got thanked by most of the streamers cos I told them "hold tab to highlight". That guy who interviewed josh recently was one of them :P but if you ask him he's a cRPG addict.

ushas

Savant
I believe it was implied that he died in Anslög's Compass. You find this note and the body of a Vailian.
The good thing about implying something is, you can contradict it and it doesn't matter so much. Fulvano turning out to be alive and the Vailian corpse just some guy who mugged him could be a funny twist.

Yeah, he was loosing diary pages, stuff and bodies of fellow travelers all over the place, so implied doesn't mean the last of them was 100% him. Though it's still possible Adam Brennecke was referring simply to that.

Even so he can have family. The Fulvano brothers would be also nice. So I'm going to keep the letters.

Are they going to give us an update today?

Also, Codex, I want to point out that Neogaf has almost gathered 5000$ in their fundraiser. One would think we could gather even more (look at the amount of love (reviews) Codex has for PoE)! A shame, really.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Also, Codex, I want to point out that Neogaf has almost gathered 5000$ in their fundraiser. One would think we could gather even more (look at the amount of love (reviews) Codex has for PoE)! A shame, really.

I'd pledge $500 if they hired a shitlord writer. With the snowflakes they have now, I'll pledge the minimum amount (at the last moment).

Rev

Arcane

The Codex fundraiser started when the Fig campaign was already halfway through and a lot of people had already pledged there. Of course, most people won't contribute to the Codex fundraiser when they have already pledged 30-45-65 $ or even more on Fig.

Rev

Arcane
I'd pledge $500 if they hired a shitlord writer. With the snowflakes they have now, I'll pledge the minimum amount (at the last moment).
Remember to check your email for the 5$ discount granted to all backers of PoE.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Codex fundraiser started when the Fig campaign was already halfway through and a lot of people had already pledged there. Of course, most people won't contribute to the Codex fundraiser when they have already pledged 30-45-65 $ or even more on Fig.
You could just cancel your pledge and contribute through Codex instead. That's what I did.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
When this drive started I had no intention of backing it but pretty much everything they have said and shown has made me more interested. Might need to contribute to the codex fund now.

edit: Goddammit that was my 10K post. Didn't even get to disclose any humiliating personal details or make a snappy attention whoring thread. Feels bad man. :negative:

Last edited:
New update!
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=278#updates
Update # 17 - The Last Few Hours! Our 8th Companion, New Stretch Goal, and Key Announcements!
POSTED: 02/23/2017
The Journey Winds Down

It's been an amazing trip, watching Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire grow from our initial scoping meetings to hitting one stretch goal after another thanks to the help of our amazing fans, backers, and investors. We can't thank you enough for your help. But we still have a few hours to go -- can we unlock the goals above $4 million and add some truly unexpected features to Pillars II? Let's get there together!

First off, some awesome concept art depicting our iron- and steel-clad constructs! Ironclad and steelclad constructs were created by animancers for various purposes, mainly to act as bodyguards and as instruments of war.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F00bd6eb86cb80a5a%2F7d00d892a5f561a5%2F45e3ba65112593cb%2F444ba9c9e0b96abb

A Quick Recap/ICYMI

For those who might be joining us late in the game, we wanted to give you a quick recap of what you've missed:

• Fulvano the Explorer has been going on a journey throughout the Deadfire Archipelago, unlocking new island destinations in Pillars II with every backer milestone our campaign hits. So far, we've hit seven, with the eighth, at 29,500 backers, not far away! Who know what Fulvano will uncover next if we can get enough backers to help fill his sails.
  • We've added Companion Relationships to the game. This is much more than just your standard RPG love-triangle stuff -- this is an Obsidian game after all! Check out this video, where Design Director Josh Sawyer explains it all!
  • Xoti, the priest/monk has joined the player's party as a full new companion! Xoti totes akimbo scythes, her own vision quest, and enhances both the narrative and combat in myriad ways.
  • We put sidekicks into the game, four to be precise, who allow players to expand their options in combat and add color to the NPC panoply without quite reaching the level of full-on companion in terms of design and resource commitment.
  • Languages: we got 'em! In addition to French and German localization, we've added Spanish, Russian, Polish, Italian, Korean, and Portuguese, with Simplified Chinese included as our next stretch goal at $3.75 M!
Add-Ons

And just in case you thought we had a whole bunch of languages, wait until you get a load of all the add-ons we've included in the campaign! Almost all of these were added as a direct response to fan and backer requests, so the list got somewhat large:

Add-On Name Price
Pillars of Eternity II Novella $5
Pillars I Fiction Omnibus $5
PoE Digital Guidebook, Vol. 1 $5
PoE Pen & Paper Starter Guide $7
Join the Black Isle Bastards Crew! $8
The White March Soundtrack $9
High Resolution Digital Map $10
PoE Digital Deluxe Soundtrack $15
Pillars II Mousepad $17
Extra Beta Access for Pillars II $20
Pillars II Audio Soundtrack CD $20 + S&H
Pillars II DLC Season Pass $20
Extra Pillars II DLC Pass $20
Obsidian T-Shirt $25 + S&H
Pillars II Backer T-Shirt $25 +S&H
Companion Miniatures (Unpainted) $25 + S&H
Hardcover Guidebook Vol. II $30 + S&H
Extra Digital Copy of Pillars II $30
Pillars II Additional Physical Box 30 + S&H
T-Shirt Pack $40 + S&H
Companion Miniatures (Painted) $40 + S&H
Obsidian Hoodie $60
Extra Digital Copy Bundle $80
Additional Collector's Edition Box $80 + S&H
Limited Edition Signed Print $100 + S&H
Hoodie Pack $110 + S&H

You can purchase any or all of these add-ons during check out when you click on the backer tier of your choice, where you'll find a description of them when you simply roll over each one in the cart -- or you can add them to an existing order if you already backed us. So, if you're someone who's been requesting one of the above things, but didn't know we'd added it, now's your last chance!

Ydwin and a New Stretch Goal

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F1036d94899008cb8%2Fa574a0d08e775d05%2Fa86b28a07eba25f7%2Faab83b1132f70521

We wanted to give you more detail on our potential 8th companion and current sidekick Ydwin, the Pale Elf. An image of her appears above, giving you some sense of what she'll look like, but we've got a more detailed description of how should could be fleshed out as a complete companion in Pillars II, courtesy of Narrative Designer Carrie Patel, as well:

Ydwin, our eighth and final companion (we hope!), is a pale elf rogue/cipher with extensive training as an animancer. She was born in a remote, lawless settlement in the White that Wends, where she witnessed the cruelest extremes of kith and nature. Her observations fueled a fascination with animancy, and she eventually made her way to the Vailian Republics to study. She's since become an accomplished master in the field, and advances with luminous adra in the Deadfire have drawn her to the archipelago.

Let's push hard to unlock Ydwin and get her into the game!

$4.25 Million Stretch Goal - Intelligent Soulbound Weapon

Finally, since we're closing in minute by minute on the incredible goal of $4 million, we thought it would only be fair if we included some information on our stretch goal at $4.25, which will get us one step closer to unlocking Ydwin!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fc7e8bd0bfd958131%2F2d701823c067b639%2Fe829c4b206551596%2F1b04e54279186f03

Our love for talking weapons goes back long ago, to our days playing pen and paper games, and we have fond memories of Lilarcor from Baldur's Gate II. Now it's time for our own talking, intelligent weapon in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! This stretch goal at $4.25 million will add a soulbound weapon, which is infused with a personality that can speak to you throughout your adventure.

Final Friday Announcement

To end up, we wanted to let you know what we'll be doing tomorrow, as the campaign winds down:

• Livestream - Starting at 9 AM Pacific Time (5 PM GMT) tomorrow and running through the end of the campaign, we will be livestreaming on our Twitch channel from Obsidian HQ. Enjoy the final hours of the campaign with us as team members come in and out, discuss Pillars stuff, Obsidian stuff, random stuff, and just have a good time celebrating our games and our fans. Don't miss it, we want to hang out with you!
  • Reddit AMA - And speaking of hanging out with you, for all you Redditors out there, we're doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on /r/IAMA with Josh, Carrie, Feargus, and other members of the Pillars II team tomorrow, February 24th, at noon Pacific Time (8 PM GMT). So if you have a Reddit account, this is your chance to literally ask us anything. We should be live for about an hour on there, and we will do our level best to get to everyone's questions!
  • Social Media and Forums - We'll be more active than ever on our Twitter, Facebook, and official forum channels, so if you have questions about the campaign, ping us -- or leave a comment on Fig. We're going to try to be everywhere tomorrow -- we truly believe we can get to that 8th companion with your help!
Thanks again to all of our backers! Whether you're a newcomer just getting updated, or someone who's been with us for the entire campaign, we are going to create a fantastic journey through the Deadfire together!

Ydwind is an anime babe, so I won't miss her much.

HollyhockGod

Novice
I'd imagine a talking sword will require voice work and plenty of written text and maybe even a quest associated with it. It is a bit weird as a stretch goal, but as long as it gets people riled up I'm OK with it.

Ydwin is so anime it hurts, I'm guessing they chose her as a stretch goal to get all the waifu-lovers excited.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yup. Ydwin is the most blatant waifu bait imaginable. Gotta excite those romance-asking Bioware masturbators into raising their pledges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom