Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After all, Obsidian really nailed this campaign. The 5M is totally guaranteed

2house2fly

Magister
But with the island-hopping format already established, throwing the player a map to something and having him travel there can make perfect sense, provided that the core narrative isn't rushing you - which is always a really shitty way to try to keep the player "invested". Oblivion did it, Skyrim did it, PoE tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) to do it.
PoE only tries to do it in the third act, before then the threats are in the background(the hollowborn plague which has been going on for over a decade) or imminent but not actually happening (the player character will go mad at some point in the future). It's striving to create as little friction as possible between main quest and side quests until act 3, when they suddenly raise the stakes so Thaos is running away and you have to catch up to him, and the quest log starts saying "I'm starting to go mad" which was a dumb idea imo, but the apocalyptic dream which kicks off WM2 is still a decently plausible reason to pause what you're doing- something more urgent has come up.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It is just under 3.5M now. Maybe 4M is plausible by the end of the campaign. I realize the 4M stretch goal likely will disappoint me, but buying (or stealing) different ships with unique bonuses sounds nice. I assume Valian ships will have speed, whereas the Rautai ships will have better canons, but hopefully there will be even more types. With that said, outside of Valian and Rautai ships, I am not sure what else Obsidian could provide.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hopefully it makes at least 3.75 for that islands stretch goal so I can treasure hunt until my eyes bleed out.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
there have to be riddle based, island hopping treasure hunt that start with you buying old musty map from a shady merchant or finding a letter in a bottle

Taskityo

Educated
yeah, no way the game is that long. you're delusional

Unless he intends to re-play it multiple times and read absolutely everything. My first playthrough of PoE took 168 hrs and 34 min according to GoG.

ushas

Savant
FULVANOOO UNLOCKED.
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F32f189f5131c87fe468c3fdd135efc00ba8c8743%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1487814652

ushas

Savant
I hope we get to fight that angry lobster-man-face-thing.
All three boogie-sters hopefully!

They did say in the stream that sea monsters were very much a thing, so... maybe?
ok makes sense.

According to the guidebook it also stops travelers from going further than Deadfire Archipelago?
Many consider the Deadfire the last frontier on Eora, since the waters beyond swarm with deadly monsters that have halted even the most determined expeditions.

ushas

Savant
wasn't #6 titled Island of Corpses?
You are right, it was called Cursed Land of Corpses in the previous picture.

Edit: As for the Fulvano's fate, there is a tease in the comments section:
earthdude: ...maybe meet Fulvano and do a quest for him like surveying a hard-to-get-to location?

brennecke: Maybe if Fulvano is still alive. Is he? Hmm...

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I may or may not be unwisely supplying Obsidian with a rather unhealthy amount of money after this update. Probably against my better judgement but it is what it is. It's certainly a perfectly done Kickstarter campaign with all the little add-ons to get you, compared to how everyone else is doing Obsidian have really hit theirs out of the park.

If they react to this by putting more warm bodies on the development team then it'd be neat, Project Indiana is probably the bigger deal internally however.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
wasn't #6 titled Island of Corpses?
You are right, it was called Cursed Land of Corpses in the previous picture.

Edit: As for the Fulvano's fate, there is a tease in the comments section:
earthdude: ...maybe meet Fulvano and do a quest for him like surveying a hard-to-get-to location?

brennecke: Maybe if Fulvano is still alive. Is he? Hmm...

He was dead in PoE 1, no? I assume this adventure happened before his trek in The Dyrwood.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
4,400 before hitting 3.5 million. I have to sleep now, but I'm fucking hyped about what tomorrow holds in store for us.

EDIT: 3,556, fuck! That's it, I'm gone to bed. Good night.

Last edited:

Arulan

Cipher
I believe it was implied that he died in Anslög's Compass. You find this note and the body of a Vailian.

fulvanosletter2pjvm.png

Quillon

Arcane
Only 471K fig magic left. If they had 3M investing limit instead of 2.25, we could see $5M by the end. Now it seems it'll be over but near $4M somewhere by the end, if its really the end of this crowdfunding :P

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

All this money that everyone continues to toss into Deadfire is so wonderful because it just means the adventure will be longer, better and much more detailed than Pillars was right? Sherry will sail to all the islands, defeat all the pirates and find all the treasure! The most ever anticipated game here is well deserved for the title but sadly we all have to wait a full year before we can invest our time and story to Deadfire. I do not know what I am going to do during that time because my own adventure with Neverwinter Nights will eventually come to pass even with all the free modules to play despite one of the most popular ones being about a princess that likes rape but I will not play that one ever and will find other ones but a year is a long time so I hope I am able to find new games to interest me until Deadfire sets sail.

But was the funding really required if Obsidian continues to put money into the fig to inflate the stretch goals when all the stretch goals seem to already be in the game? Maybe next time they should offer a poll right?

1. Introduce Companion Relationships.
2. Introduce a Sandbox world to explore!
3. Monster scaling difficulty.
4. Turn based combat.
5. etc.

And then people fund the poll options and when one of the choices reaches a certain amount that is what the game will offer and then Obsidian creates a new poll with new options based on the first selection and a game is designed based on the money put forward by the people who reach the poll goals.

Really if no one funded the game at all it would still have a ship as a stronghold. It would still have subclasses. It would still have multiclassing. It would still have a number of localized languages. It would still have relationships. It would still be XYZ 123.

If it was on Kickstarter would it have even met its goals because KS does not have investments to toss around to reach stretch goals. It is all about the people and well the people were slowing down.

They spend all that time making videos about relationships and what the stretch goal is. Then one day the amount of money shoots upward to meet the stretch goal. Was it ever in any doubt relationships would not happen? Maybe on Kickstarter? But with investments there was no way Obsidian would let themselves get kicked in the ring-a-ling-ding-ding right? RIGHT?

Use Your Illusion 3.

Thanks,
Randal

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Wasteland 3 campaign was so bad compared to this, I would have to simultaneously use the word "shit" from 50 different languages, just to accurately describe the difference.

Yeah, Sawyer is being Saywer again and makes some controversial decisions, but they actually have tons of stuff I can genuinely get excited about. Subclasses, AI scripts, a motherfucking pirate ship with Fallout like exploration, random encounters on city map, New Vegas-like faction system, much deeper companions, hugely improved graphics. Sure, they can still fuck it up beyond all proportion, but on paper at least this is all gigantic fucking incline.

Compared to this, what did WL3 had? Multiplayer? Cinematic conversations, in a text-based RPG? Step up your game, Fargo.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hi.

All this money that everyone continues to toss into Deadfire is so wonderful because it just means the adventure will be longer, better and much more detailed than Pillars was right? Sherry will sail to all the islands, defeat all the pirates and find all the treasure! The most ever anticipated game here is well deserved for the title but sadly we all have to wait a full year before we can invest our time and story to Deadfire. I do not know what I am going to do during that time because my own adventure with Neverwinter Nights will eventually come to pass even with all the free modules to play despite one of the most popular ones being about a princess that likes rape but I will not play that one ever and will find other ones but a year is a long time so I hope I am able to find new games to interest me until Deadfire sets sail.

But was the funding really required if Obsidian continues to put money into the fig to inflate the stretch goals when all the stretch goals seem to already be in the game? Maybe next time they should offer a poll right?

1. Introduce Companion Relationships.
2. Introduce a Sandbox world to explore!
3. Monster scaling difficulty.
4. Turn based combat.
5. etc.

And then people fund the poll options and when one of the choices reaches a certain amount that is what the game will offer and then Obsidian creates a new poll with new options.

Really if no one funded the game at all it would still have a ship as a stronghold. It would still have subclasses. It would still have multiclassing. It would still have a number of localized languages. It would still have relationships. It would still be XYZ 123.

If it was on Kickstarter would it have even met its goals because KS does not have investments to toss around to reach stretch goals. It is all about the people and well the people were slowing down.

Use Your Illusion 3.

Thanks,
Randal

I'm not sure that's actually true, Randal. Yes, they'd have some or most of the given features, but in all likelihood, they would be scaled down. Maybe you wouldn't be able to customize "Sherry" at all. Maybe they'd halve the number of custom ship encounters they designed. We wouldn't have the sidekicks. We likely would be back to having 'subclasses' just be the priest and paladin orders like in POE1. They'd almost certainly not localize to as many languages as they've now signed up to do.

Also, I don't think "Obsidian continues to put money into the fig to inflate the stretch goals" is accurate. As I understand it, when/if they can add Fig funds to the campaign is in some way dependent on the backer $ earned by that campaign (some have said there are chokepoints at certain percentages above 100%). SO I don't think Obsidian is any way trying to inflate the stretch goals or string things along, but are instead handling the investment funds in the manner proscribed by Fig.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom