Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
People need longer attention spans then.
They do, but until they get them big expansions won't sell as well as small DLC. I thought season passes were meant to address this by getting people to buy the DLC in advance, but I guess they don't work because the upcoming Mass Effect game won't have one, even though it'll surely have DLC.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
These addons like novellas and the DLC, I'll probably be able to add them at the backer portal even after the campaign is over, right?

Sizzle

Arcane
If PoE2's DLCs will be comparable to F:NV's in scope (sans MCA, unfortunately :( ) and with quality like TWM (minus the size), I'm fine with them doing it like that.

Like Infinitron said, the market has changed - you can't expect today's ADHD-addled tards to have a single-player game they've completed installed for several months, you need to quickly entice them with a string of new content if you want the game to remain on their radars.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Unfortunately, most people don't complete most role playing games. You'd be lucky to have a 10% ratio.

The global archievements statistics are really sad

P41Y8Zd.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shots fired why?

We already know you're going to sail from place to place in D:OS 2. Makes sense that you'd get to own your ship, although I would have thought a dual-scale overworld exploration map isn't Larian's style.

Everyone is taking inspiration from the masterpiece that was Risen 2 ;)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Not going to lie; expansions and DLC could be done fairly well with the whole island-hopping format. One of my chief complaints is usually that modern-day expansions and DLC:s often feel "glued on to the side", and White March, in spite of what good it had, suffered immeasurably from this too. In a roleplaying game, you shouldn't have to engineer reasons to deviate from the most pressing concerns that are being conveyed to you as a character as immediate and pressing concerns, just so you get to play the game. In White March, for example, you travel completely out of the Dyrwood while literally going insane (which was really poorly conveyed) and a cult is snatching souls. It makes no sense whatsoever, and it feels incredibly out of place.

Fallout: New Vegas was the same thing, but worse. Completely isolated areas, sometimes way off course, with little-to-no interaction with the established game world as it was. Playing a Fallout: NV DLC had zero impact on anything, and apart from the experience itself, in relation to the overall game, it was pretty much like hitting a loot pinata and then carrying on. Don't get me wrong, some of those DLC:s were good, I'm just addressing a very specific (and as far as I'm concerned, major) issue.

But with the island-hopping format already established, throwing the player a map to something and having him travel there can make perfect sense, provided that the core narrative isn't rushing you - which is always a really shitty way to try to keep the player "invested". Oblivion did it, Skyrim did it, PoE tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) to do it. More Fallout/2, Fallout: New Vegas, Morrowind and Arcanum, and less of those other, shitty games, please.

Fairfax

Arcane
Unfortunately, most people don't complete most role playing games. You'd be lucky to have a 10% ratio.
Not really. Bethesda games and The Witcher games all have more than 20%, and IIRC Skyrim has more than 30%. BioWare games have even higher percentages. DA:O had a 36% completion rate, ME1 had 40% and ME2 had 56%.

Sizzle

Arcane
Not really. Bethesda games and The Witcher games all have more than 20%, and IIRC Skyrim has more than 30%. BioWare games have even higher percentages. DA:O had a 36% completion rate, ME1 had 40% and ME2 had 56%.

Skyrim has a greater than 30% complete ratio? Are you sure about that?

It's an open-world sandbox game you can basically play forever without finishing it, having a 1 in 3 people who ever installed it actually complete it seems a bit high.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

It's an open-world sandbox game you can basically play forever without finishing it, having a 1 in 3 people who ever installed it actually complete it seems a bit high.

Leave Chris be, he's just mad Feargus fired him.

Fairfax

Arcane

Steam says 28.1% finished the main quest. I remembered ~30% from this GDC panel where they showed the stats from a bunch of different games:
The Walking Dead: Season 1, Episode 1 - 66%
Mass Effect 2 - 56%
BioShock Infinite - 53%
Batman: Arkham City - 47%
Portal - 47%
Mass Effect 3 - 42%
The Walking Dead: Season 1, Episode 5 - 39%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 32%
Borderlands 2 - 30%
The percentage probably dropped over the years with new players from cheap sales.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Are you're seriously going to critize her bra choices, when they have a guy who wears a flatcap indoors?

And another guy who wears, wait this can't be right, no this cannot be, please make it stop because this guy actually wears A BASEBALL CAP BACKWARDS AND A HOODIE ON TOP OF IT, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?

:timetoburn:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know, man.
The biggest AAA games usually have more people completing them. Compare Pillars to some of the other isometric games released in recent years and you'll see that some of them have even lower completion rates.

Rev

Arcane
The man with the Obsidian shirt standing beside Sawyer is a fucking giant. Isn't Josh like 1,85-1,88m? He almost looks like a dwarf next to him.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freedom units? You measure the height in freedom fries of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom