Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they just release it completed this time. I'm also someone who disliked PoE 1.0 quite a bit, but retried it with The White March and 3.0 and enjoyed it quite a bit. I want that at release however long it takes.
I am 100% certain that PoE2 will suffer the same fate as PoE1. They will change things after release for at least a year.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I don't really get why they needed to change everything from 3.0 which was pretty fun. Would have been better to use that time and those resources on story, lore, setting, encounter design, area design

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

We are going to be doing some crafting on the weekend and while watching beta character creation I thought of a fun craft to try out before the kids get involved to see just how difficult or how messy it would be and today I just finished the first attempt and I wanted to share with you too. It was fun looking for clipart for the game and other games like Ultima, HOMM3 and others on the family PC but I found some for Pillars and after watching a few yt videos came up with a fun clipart crafting to hide part of the ugly part of the family PC.

Put in spoilers because of two pictures to show how it looks before and after. The before picture is what we wanted to hide and the after is the new Pillars of Eternity designs of the game's logo and the Sky Dragon!

HCnYAot.jpg

With 4 colour strips added it shines nicely through the new panel cover.

8vqBISv.jpg

Happy to make a thread outisde of this one to show how they are made and of the other game panels for anyone interested but the family PC is now DEADFIRE ready! :hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't really get why they needed to change everything from 3.0 which was pretty fun. Would have been better to use that time and those resources on story, lore, setting, encounter design, area design

I'm still puzzled by that decision too. With 3.0 it seemed like they have a nice framework that can continue to serve them well for the next 1-2 games. And with systems battle-tested in the field by thousands of players, they could just focus on making the best game they can.

Instead they decided to basically just piss everything away and start from scratch. I can't deny that combat and system changes announced so far seem exciting. But if the game was simply based on slightly revised 3.0, there would be no need for these debates on whether to buy it on launch or wait a year. I seriously wonder if this whole redesign won't backfire on them if the launch turns out as bad as PoE1.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We've been over this, it's because Josh says "everyone" just rests after every battle or backtracks so there's no point to per-rest abilities or a semi-Vancian system. Instead of doing the obvious and limit resting, he decided to cater to the droolies and scrap the entire system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I was thinking that maybe they are a bit TOO inspired by D&D. Have they created a creature that isn't directly ripped off from D&D for this franchise? Honest question. It's starting to annoy me a little bit, their artists claim to be artists but can't create anything that isn't almost a direct copy of something else. What's the point of being an artist, just tell the 3D designers to copy whatever they can find in the D&D monster manual and call it a day.

Sizzle

Arcane
I was thinking that maybe they are a bit TOO inspired by D&D. Have they created a creature that isn't directly ripped off from D&D for this franchise? Honest question. It's starting to annoy me a little bit, their artists claim to be artists but can't create anything that isn't almost a direct copy of something else. What's the point of being an artist, just tell the 3D designers to copy whatever they can find in the D&D monster manual and call it a day.

Yeah, but you gotta remember that basically everything exists in D&D - from every type of mythological beings from our own legends, to absurd things like horsespiders.

The bigger issue I have with PoE's beastiary, is that that I expected more creatures to have unique abilities/behavior that would change how we interact with them. For example, the Skuldrak's ability to see souls, so sneaking gets a penalty around them. Something similar to that, applied to more enemies.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd take horsespiders over mephit-a-likes any day of the week. If they want to rip off D&D so much, rip off the more obscure monsters, rather than the most mainstream and used ones. They are a bit too reminiscent of their D&D design, though. There are many ways to represent an imp, but the way they do it is literally mephits even down to how they fight. It rubs me the wrong way, it seems uncomfortably like plagiarism.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Would be awesome to have this land this quarter, as its rather sparse in terms of quality rpg's, think the only one im looking forward to somewhat is ni no kuni 2.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'd take horsespiders over mephit-a-likes any day of the week. If they want to rip off D&D so much, rip off the more obscure monsters, rather than the most mainstream and used ones. They are a bit too reminiscent of their D&D design, though. There are many ways to represent an imp, but the way they do it is literally mephits even down to how they fight. It rubs me the wrong way, it seems uncomfortably like plagiarism.

By that logic, do you consider Vithrack and Xaurip to be good, just because they look a bit different than the creatures they are copying?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

It's impossible to not "rip off" D&D if you are making medieval fantasy. D&D itself is like a collection of everything from Tolkien to regular mythology and everything else. Put ogres, orcs and elves in your game and it's a "D&D rip off"

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't really need them to differentiate their bestiary from D&D (especially when their attempts at doing so seem to mostly just involve throwing in a few words about souls and changing the name to look more stupid, per JES' linguistic fetishes), but I do agree with Lacrymas that they could really stand to bring in some of the more unusual or off-the-wall creations if they're looking for inspiration.

(At least it's better than Dragon age: origins, whose bestiary mostly felt like 'human, animal, orc, ogre, or dragon')

Lacrymas

Arcane
By that logic, do you consider Vithrack and Xaurip to be good, just because they look a bit different than the creatures they are copying?

A bit, yes. While it's obvious where the "inspiration" comes from, it has a modicum of creativity put into them to make them stand out a little bit. I'm not saying it's good or that's how they should do it, quite the contrary, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel, if it hasn't already drilled a hole through the barrel, but at least it's something. PoE is ... derivative in the worst possible ways. Even DA:O is better in its derivativeness and that's saying a lot.

It's impossible to not "rip off" D&D if you are making medieval fantasy. D&D itself is like a collection of everything from Tolkien to regular mythology and everything else. Put ogres, orcs and elves in your game and it's a "D&D rip off"

Only if your concept of "medieval fantasy" is "Tolkien and D&D" and literally nothing else. Gothic is also medieval fantasy, but it's made very well, it has its own identity and the twists of the old formula are the norm, not the exception. The setting is what makes Gothic good, it doesn't rely that much on characters, so it can be done. PoE, however, is TOO much like D&D, uncomfortably so.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

*cough* Elder Scrolls *cough*

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Only if your concept of "medieval fantasy" is "Tolkien and D&D" and literally nothing else. Gothic is also medieval fantasy, but it's made very well, it has its own identity and the twists of the old formula are the norm, not the exception. The setting is what makes Gothic good, it doesn't rely that much on characters, so it can be done. PoE, however, is TOO much like D&D, uncomfortably so.

It's not what people, specifically average rpg fans, want to play. There was even backlash for just deviating a bit from the medieval and including gunpowder and how what's the point of it in a world magic exists?

Sure a completely original world that takes nothing from Tolkien or D&D can be made, but that would mean you'd make something that's not not-Europe, because Tolkien and D&D are essentially European fantasy. People want knights in armour, wizards, supernatural creatures to kill and all that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who are these "people" and how do Obs know this? Are there a lot of medieval settings in games that deviate from D&D/Tolkien out there that are unsuccessful because of that, so they know the statistic? At the top of my head, only Arcanum comes to mind as a not successful attempt, but I don't think it was because it wasn't like D&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom