Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I will create a rogue and look into it, although the crafting button seemed to have been moved.

Edit: I could not test alchemy or explosives, because I could not find the crafting button. On the tool-tip for explosives, it states that the stronger the explosive, the more risk of a "mishap."

Crafting is disabled as of right now.

One humorous part is that I lost reputation for freeing the fishmen, but I did not lose any reputation for slaying the Chieftain, the Priestess, and everyone else.

You should probably report that to Obsidian rather than laughing about it here.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But even if I had hated the story, losing Eric is still not a good thing, as he designed the best questline in the game, and has shown himself to be a very good quest designer in FNV as well.
Yeah, definitely. I'm not really that bothered about Obsidian making a "New Vegas 2" any more, because of all the people responsible for my favourite bits only Sawyer is left, and he's on Pillars full-time
Some new blood could be for good,we will see in time. Old writers do have more technical skills and experience but tend to loose creativity and originality with the times.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Giving spellcasters more spells to choose per level AND giving Priests free access to their deity spells is pretty much giving them all their spells per encounter lol. Going at this rate they'll soon reinstate the semi-Vancian system.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't it bad enough people made Obsidian spend actual resources on a walk button people will use barely 0.4% of the time?

Oh, poor them... they actually poured "actual resources!" for the characters not to always run around like some dumb fucks. Because in your mind, fuck immersion... their motto should be, "we're designing games as spreadsheets for autists to jerk off of them."
And if they have a Bester on their team, they would've completed the job like in... 3 minutes!?

Also there was a bug in White March where a character would walk at the same speed as others characters running.

So go suck a cock directly proportional in size as the amount of resources they poured for this feature.
Pray they had a Bester among them so you will not have a cock breath for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol that multiclassing is total shit! Barbarian wizards....fuck off! No restrictions and not many negatives....that is just stupid beyond believe. Hope they give more bonuses to single class gameplay. Also spell system looks really bad. Being able to cast only few spells per battle is retarded. Level one wizard will be able to do one or two spells per battle,yeah in the beginning they will be useless.

2house2fly

Magister
Isn't it bad enough people made Obsidian spend actual resources on a walk button people will use barely 0.4% of the time?

Oh, poor them... they actually poured "actual resources!" for the characters not to always run around like some dumb fucks. Because in your mind, fuck immersion... their motto should be, "we're designing games as spreadsheets for autists to jerk off of them."
And if they have a Bester on their team, they would've completed the job like in... 3 minutes!?

Also there was a bug in White March where a character would walk at the same speed as others characters running.

So go suck a cock directly proportional in size as the amount of resources they pored for this feature.
Pray they had a Bester among them so you will not have a cock breath for the rest of your life.
One of the reasons I saw in this thread for why people were saying characters should walk was because walking slows the pace of combat and makes it easier to manage, which is to say people want their characters to walk calmly around the battlefield. Sounds the exact opposite of immersive to me.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My old friend is back. It wouldn't be a Pillars of Eternity beta without him.
B2C40C42DEA31F9C7CF2A27DC7949565D119D4FA

In case you're curious as to why this happens, it has to do with the culling of content from the Backer Beta. If strings don't get properly marked in the database for BB inclusion, they are excised in the BB build process. This causes missing strings. New strings typically have this problem because people forget to mark them.
You guys should put a bow called "Missing String" in the game, as an easter egg similar to The Disappointer. ;)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
characters to walk calmly around the battlefield.

Never saw anyone wanting this feature for this reason and I doubt you could activate walk in combat.
And running in combat for me it sounds like a good idea only is you have vastly superior numbers, but let's not engage in suppositions about real life small scale melee skirmishes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Running's also probably a good idea when you have vastly inferior numbers... :P

GloomFrost

Arcane
Lol that multiclassing is total shit! Barbarian wizards....fuck off! No restrictions and not many negatives....that is just stupid beyond believe. Hope they give more bonuses to single class gameplay. Also spell system looks really bad. Being able to cast only few spells per battle is retarded. Level one wizard will be able to do one or two spells per battle,yeah in the beginning they will be useless.
I know right. So is there ANY reason now to not make a multiclass characters??Is a character which is not multiclass going to be under powered? POE 1 finally managed to become a more or less balanced game with relatively enjoyable combat after countless patches and 2 expansions. Looks like Obsidian havent learned anything from it.

axedice

Cipher
Losing higher level spells is an important drawback, having an aoe CC 2 levels earlier is a HUGE advantage. Multiclassing is best for non casters in D&D, I guess it'll be the same here

From Pillars 1 topic :
The character system and some other mechanical changes are indeed fairly severe :decline:. We will see how much it improves in the beta but IMO there are some fundamental bad decisions there, especially spells as feats rather than a mechanically separate system.

I remember josh saying the grimoires would act as a source of spells in addition to the learned ones, so you'll have fewer learned spells and the rest will be based on your book. How's that working?

Still it's a retarded idea to remove optional feats and treat spells no diffrent than special attacks. It kills both character customization and the idea of a "spellcasting wizard".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I know right. So is there ANY reason now to not make a multiclass characters??Is a character which is not multiclass going to be under powered? POE 1 finally managed to become a more or less balanced game with relatively enjoyable combat after countless patches and 2 expansions. Looks like Obsidian havent learned anything from it.
Yeah that system is very retarded. After the shit that Tyranny is,i am very on the fence for buying their games. Can't understand those people. They make good money on PoE with a system similar to D&D,they they become atrsy and try to make new original system. Why the fuck they do this?!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Losing higher level spells is an important drawback, having an aoe CC 2 levels earlier is a HUGE advantage. Multiclassing is best for non casters in D&D, I guess it'll be the same here

From Pillars 1 topic :
The character system and some other mechanical changes are indeed fairly severe :decline:. We will see how much it improves in the beta but IMO there are some fundamental bad decisions there, especially spells as feats rather than a mechanically separate system.

I remember josh saying the grimoires would act as a source of spells in addition to the learned ones, so you'll have fewer learned spells and the rest will be based on your book. How's that working?

Still it's a retarded idea to remove optional feats and treat spells no diffrent than special attacks. It kills both character customization and the idea of a "spellcasting wizard".
Dual class wizard/priest will be fairly strong. I don't remember using much of a very high level spells in PoE,mainly because there was no need. Having nearly the double spellcount will be pretty op in my book. Hope that they at least make Aerie in this game.

tripedal

Augur
I think the level restrictions in the beta make people not think about one of the biggest multi-class trade-offs: you lose access to the top-level (in other words, strongest) abilities.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
In addition the max level spells, doesn't the "power level" scaling pull ahead at a certain point? I can accept that single class characters being inflexible/weaker in the early levels, provided there is some payoff in the end. For example, in PoE1 I would not call Priest strong in the early levels, but the payoff is that late game Priest is very strong.

Edit: I killed more NPCs and I did now see a message that I suffered a reputation loss.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What happens if you lose rep? Did anything happen if you lose rep in P1?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
You perfectly know nothing happens when you lose rep, besides some flavor dialogs and quest options here and there (like Eder's stuff).

Mazisky

Magister
I think the level restrictions in the beta make people not think about one of the biggest multi-class trade-offs: you lose access to the top-level (in other words, strongest) abilities.

Also, single class have access to spells faster

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A 20-year-old game still outclassing PoE even in small details.

One of the reasons this is the case, is that the 'random' delay before units start moving could very well have been put there to give the game time to wait for the pathfinding algorithm ... it was designed to run on a Pentium 2 after all :lol:

It reminds me a lot of how a lot of the stuff that is bad/weird/buggy from Starcraft due to technical limitations actually makes for much better gameplay
Just what I have been thinking when playing PoE and watching Deadfire.

Prime Junta

Not too many grimoires to speak of in the beta, so can't say. In any case, that's just wizards -- priests and druids are SOL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom