Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think offering 3, roughly WM1-sized dlcs for about 15 EUR is
TrumpBestDeal.png
, or at least is very far from "sleazy and disgusting nickel and dime" attitude towards loyal customers.

Fry

Arcane
These are every DLC, unless you've seen some other announcement I've missed.

These are the DLCs they've announced until now, but I think they'll probably make more and those won't be included in the DLC add-on. I might be more cynical than what will happen, but I doubt it.

OK?

Obsidian did what they said they were going to do with PoE. I'm unclear why there are people ITT now insisting PoE2 will never release and they going to try and nickel-and-dime us with currently unannounced DLC.

"AAAAHHH! Must find something to be unreasonably cynical about!"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think offering 3, roughly WM1-sized dlcs for about 15 EUR is
TrumpBestDeal.png
, or at least is very far from "sleazy and disgusting nickel and dime" attitude towards loyal customers.

If you put it that way (i.e. falsely), then yes, it does sound unreasonably cynical. The difference is that a) it's unlikely they'll be as big as WM1 and b) if they do start churning out DLCs that won't be covered in the Fig add-on, then they'd have literally lied in the campaign. Lying and churning out smallish DLC every 2 months to nickel and dime because "economic viability" is sleazy, unless you are a fanboy who will defend them even if the game came with worms and gonorrhea.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not putting it "falsely", though I may be overestimating the size and play time of the DLCs, time will tell about that. As for churning out DLCs, I doubt they'll have the marketing auspices to allow them to do that by 2019, even if they wanted to do it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
thanks to the newly added level scaling functionality.

Good thing I didn't follow the game and that I didn't encourage myself to finish PoE 1 with WM. I was always sceptical about Obsidians talent regarding rpgs and now I'm pretty sure there isn't much.

Hey, he's not being sarcastic, level scaling in PoE is actually good and desirable

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Lying and churning out smallish DLC every 2 months to nickel and dime because "economic viability" is sleazy, unless you are a fanboy who will defend even if the game came with worms and gonorrhea.

Don't worry, we'll put an end to that kind of thing after the Revolution.

Fry

Arcane
if they do start churning out DLCs that won't be covered in the Fig add-on, then they'd have literally lied in the campaign.

I would agree, but given the lack of evidence that this is what they're planning... so what?

AwesomeButton

Patron

Good thing I didn't follow the game and that I didn't encourage myself to finish PoE 1 with WM. I was always sceptical about Obsidians talent regarding rpgs and now I'm pretty sure there isn't much.

Hey, he's not being sarcastic, level scaling in PoE is actually good and desirable
And extremely configurable. In all honesty, you can't find an RPG with this degree of gameplay, QoL, and UI features customizeability.

I'm still bummed there is no separate volume slider for ambient sounds and a toggle for footsteps but I'm pretty sure those can be added post-release.

The fact that you can switch it on and off rules out the question "is it good to have it or no". Some people would argue "but the encounters may have been designed with scaling/with no-scaling in mind...", but if anyone imagines the game was rigorously tested encounter by encounter, on various difficulties, with scaling on or off, they are not in touch with reality. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'd prefer to be able to really play the game's quests in any order I like without worrying that I'll get overleveled, or if I'm in the mood for it - get overleveled and smash through hordes in a lower level dungeon. Both styles of playing are possible.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I would agree, but given the lack of evidence that this is what they're planning... so what?

And I did say that I might be too cynical and they aren't planning that at all, soooo. Let's hope they aren't, but hope is a cruel mistress.

Prime Junta

And I did say that I might be too cynical and they aren't planning that at all, soooo. Let's hope they aren't, but hope is a cruel mistress.

Pessimism is for the weak of heart. The true bro dares to believe. When disappointed, he wipes off a manly tear, squares his shoulders, and moves on to believing in the next thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, let's take it all in like a little bitch and just move on to the next way for us to be exploited, we never tire of being exploited and trodden on by whatever corporation de jour.

Morkar Left

Like for every rpg under the sun where the developer isn't able to properly balance the game or the game systems. I prefer good game design over levelscaling.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Like for every rpg under the sun where the developer isn't able to properly balance the game or the game systems. I prefer good game design over levelscaling.
Then turn it off (it's actually off by default), and play without scaling. It's optional.

Morkar Left

Then turn it off (it's actually off by default), and play without scaling. It's optional.

Good this option exists. But the reason alone that it exists gives me bad feelings in regards to balancing. It's the typical game developers excuse when they can't be bothered with designing difficulty or rpg systems that allow a wide range of progression.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If they have balanced it without scaling in mind and then scaled, then there is no problem, but if they designed it from the perspective to be scaled and then just removed that option I expect wonky difficulty curves.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Good this option exists. But the reason alone that it exists gives me bad feelings in regards to balancing. It's the typical game developers excuse when they can't be bothered with designing difficulty or rpg systems that allow a wide range of progression.
For real difficulty, we'll have mods :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
If they have balanced it without scaling in mind and then scaled, then there is no problem, but if they designed it from the perspective to be scaled and then just removed that option I expect wonky difficulty curves.

I ammended my post above:
Some people would argue "but the encounters may have been designed with scaling/with no-scaling in mind...", but if anyone imagines the game was rigorously tested encounter by encounter, on various difficulties, with scaling on or off, they are not in touch with reality. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They haven't tested PotD at all, let alone rigorously tested scaling or no scaling, so I don't think there's any danger of assuming they've done that. I am saying that it would've been easier and smarter to design it without scaling and then enable scaling, rather than the other way around. Both can lead to wonkiness, though.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I am not buying Pillars of Eternity II. I am not buying their season pass day one. I am not buying any microtransactions they have. I may even not do it on a discount, or a sale? You know why? We live in an age of Trump, and diversity being stamped out. At this very moment, women are being raped by Gamers, and denied abortions they need. We don't -need- a game like this which furthers white supremacist ideals.

2house2fly

Magister
Yes, let's take it all in like a little bitch and just move on to the next way for us to be exploited, we never tire of being exploited and trodden on by whatever corporation de jour.
In this the exploitation is happening in a theoretical future based on zero precedent

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are you saying that no corporation has ever exploited people? Even in the gaming industry? How can you say there is zero precedent? Are you living under a rock? Are you a blind, mute and deaf quadriplegic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom