Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It does seem indeed Obsidian, and Feargus in particular, learned much from their partnership with Paradox. On milking fans of a niche genre, and on the potential profits to be made from an open-ended video game with space for infinite content additions.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Isn't Brandon Adler overseeing DLC development? If so, it's possible they could have a separate team that's been working independently on xpacs while the development of the main game was underway. Seems more likely these won't live up to TWM, though.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I fear an overabundance of dlcs in the coming years. In a paradox fashion.
It's an archipelago, there's a level-scaling option as awesomebutton duely noted, so there are infinite possibilities for a myriad of dlcs.
Gotta finance that jump into big budget games market and join the pantheon of KCD, Elex and Twitcher, as Sawyer hinted about that recently. Maybe. Could be.
I doubt they can retain enough interest for years as to still be profitable, and there is the problem of level cap.

2house2fly

Magister
I'm also expecting that the "Season Pass" from the Fig campaign to only include these 3 DLCs, as opposed to every DLC. I suspected as much during the campaign and is a pretty sleazy move.
These are every DLC, unless you've seen some other announcement I've missed.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I doubt they can retain enough interest for years as to still be profitable, and there is the problem of level cap.

It doesn't need to be infinitely profitable and new levels can be designed and then gated by different content. There could also be content which level is irrelevant, or temporarily reset, equipment taken away etc. It can keep attention for years, to be milked. It truly is what Feargus always dreamed of, a niche cashcow to milk while doing their action-adventure AAA title.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The projected profits have to warrant the development costs, and the projected profits will be shrinking with time. Josh said in an interview that the expansion that will be profitable is the one you can release in the space of six-nine months after the base game's release.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

These are the DLCs they've announced until now, but I think they'll probably make more and those won't be included in the DLC add-on. I might be more cynical than what will happen, but I doubt it.

frajaq

Erudite
Isn't Brian Adler overseeing DLC development? If so, it's possible they could have a separate team that's been working independently on xpacs while the development of the main game was underway. Seems more likely these won't live up to TWM, though.

Do we know anything Brian Adler worked on before?

Tenebris

Scholar
I was honestly expecting one of the dlcs to add more sub classes and junk to the base game. Shame it seems like that isn't the case.

Bocha

Novice
From backer portal addons

Pillars II DLC $20,00

Early Bird access to DLC for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire at a special crowdfunding price. This is a Season Pass for all DLC that will be released for Pillars II.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The guy's name is Brandon. badler , are you at liberty to tell us when the development started on the dlcs, and if they are being developed concurrently or in succession? Are they in production or in pre-production?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally I'd be surprised if there's more than just these three DLCs, unless the game really overperforms. So the season pass question is probably theoretical.

That said, they're typically called "season" for a reason, no? It's like the season of a sport, one year.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
I fear an overabundance of dlcs in the coming years. In a paradox fashion.
It's an archipelago, there's a level-scaling option as awesomebutton duely noted, so there are infinite possibilities for a myriad of dlcs.
Gotta finance that jump into big budget games market and join the pantheon of KCD, Elex and Twitcher, as Sawyer hinted about that recently. Maybe. Could be.
DLC development money doesn't come from nowhere, and even in the days of big expansions they knew it would sell a fraction of what the main game did. I don't see Obsidian being dumb enough to keep throwing money at something people won't buy.

2house2fly

Magister

These are the DLCs they've announced until now, but I think they'll probably make more and those won't be included in the DLC add-on. I might be more cynical than what will happen, but I doubt it.
This sure is a scummy and greedy move that you're fantasising about. What sleazy bastards they might be.

AwesomeButton

Patron
From backer portal addons

Pillars II DLC $20,00

Early Bird access to DLC for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire at a special crowdfunding price. This is a Season Pass for all DLC that will be released for Pillars II.
I just bought them, thanks.

Also, note the "for all DLC that will be released for Pillars II" part.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So are they milking the fans in a stunning display of corporate greed, or are they going to lose money?

Those aren't mutually exclusive. They are trying to milk the fans in a frenzy of corporate greed but are going to lose money because it won't work. Delicious irony.

Ruzen

Savant
Maybe they are going for Paradox's "free" updates, paid content thing.
New Max Levels won't be tied to the DLC's and they will promote them as free content and the stories as paid DLC.

Morkar Left

thanks to the newly added level scaling functionality.

Good thing I didn't follow the game and that I didn't encourage myself to finish PoE 1 with WM. I was always sceptical about Obsidians talent regarding rpgs and now I'm pretty sure there isn't much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom