Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can you tell me why PoE threads are always the most discussed (hundreds of pages)?

This franchise must be really special

:balance:
It is the general discussion of the General RPG forum. In the past few pages people have talked about Writing in poe,then about what is writing,after that about shilling and being and the life of a codex reviewer,after that about how shit DOS games are,and now...i am still reading the thread.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sensuki
You are not the only victim of the Zionist agenda of Obsidian Cocksucking here at the Codex.

Add me to the ranks.

I remember, I beat DU 1v1 in Unreal Tournament to have your last tag removed. My tag isn't because Infinitron didn't like what I was posting, however. I leaked Prime Junta's shit Pillars review and DarkUnderlord gave me the tags.

You are the real martyr of this forum. You gave us pages of laughs but were branded a Cuck.

Never forget. :salute:

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
codex has moved on from wut is RPG to wut is RPG writing!! is this progress or regression discuss

The only time BG2 magically becomes a fully fleshed-out RPG, is when people are comparing it with PoE

All i can see is
Kn4euRW.jpg

I'm helping
I'm just popping in to say this: oh boy, this thread still delivers.
codex_is_fun_1b.gif

Can't wait for Release Thread to drop in AprilMay. Keep it up, lads, keep it up.
:hero::thumbsup::mrpresident:

EDIT: fixed image hosting fuckery

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been watching a stream of the beta, the version from December.

Combat is obviously in need of a complete overhaul, but this only makes it more probable that the game will ship with it in its current state.

One thing I noticed - Josh claimed engagement is removed for mostly all enemy types but... there is nothing in their behavior to suggest that they are aware of that.

What happened to "hwrpa dwrp we have this cool AI system, we can script encounters and shiet..."?

Just like in PoE, enemies set their sights on someone - usually a backliner who damaged them after they became locked in melee with a frontliner - and they will try to rush him No Matter What.

One more detail of how combat remains shit - in the IE games, the fucking IE games, when you would click behind your party member with him selected, he would just take a couple of steps backwards before turning around and walking forwards to his destination.
In PoE and Deadfire, models preform a rotation which takes time, which due to the inanity of the combat system is much more valuable.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In PoE and Deadfire, models preform a rotation which takes time, which due to the inanity of the combat system is much more valuable.
What? This is not true. The rotation takes zero time. Here, I even made a webm demonstrating this.

https://webmshare.com/mPAXv
Yep, false alarm on my part. I guess until I play it I can't know anything.

BTW, encounters not involving Lagufaeth look better. I'd still simplify the combat resolution though, and the deriving of combat-related stats.

axedice

Cipher
You need first strikers for dealing with Lagufaeth, in P1 weapon switch blunderbuss obliterated the packs due to their low armor. Guess it won't be any different in deadfire.

Still no info on the beta update but here is a companion class table

ycXcUrS.png

Too bad you can't choose subclasses for companions. Hope someone can mod it

AwesomeButton

Patron
Something I dislike is how every combat is most efficient to begin with "alpha strikes" and from stealth.

axedice

Cipher
Except for scripted dialogue screens right before combat that disables stealth yeah, alpha-strikes are the ultimate solution.

What you need is 1/2 alpha strikers to sort out the trash and rest of the party built for boss fights with buff/debuff application and removal in mind. That'll get you through every combat encounter in PotD.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I've been trying out an old hypothesis, from before I knew Deadfire would have a party of five. The hypothesis is that PoE would be challenging and fun with a custom party of 5 on PotD, with no knockdowns allowed (knockdown -> reload), and with only resting once it becomes impossible to progress further. I'm just out of Woedica's temple, and I'd say it's quite nice, if we ignore all usual PoE annoyances.

BTW, it's really hilarious how PoE's "anti-rest-spam" system actually forces you to rest spam like no IE game ever did. Josh shot himself in the foot with 90% of his enlightened design decisions.

AwesomeButton

Patron
What "citation" do you need? Screenshots, video? I don't understand this guy's complaint. He wants to see both a halberd, cutlass, and arbalest on his character at the same time?

Ulfhednar

Savant
Agreed - scabbards are incline... though the Pathfinder character models that show all equipment including quick items really ups the bar for Deadfire.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I keep watching that Beta stream, currently at the Imp combat encounters in the Poko Kohara temple.

Under Deadfire's system it doesn't really matter if you will take damage from the imps or how careful or careless you are while fighting them. If this were an IE game, it would matter, because none of the damage to health you would take would regenerate back.

Even in PoE, it would matter how you would approach those encounters. In Deadfire it does not. And according to Josh, this is a good thing, an improvement.

Parabalus

Arcane
I keep watching that Beta stream, currently at the Imp combat encounters in the Poko Kohara temple.

Under Deadfire's system it doesn't really matter if you will take damage from the imps or how careful or careless you are while fighting them. If this were an IE game, it would matter, because none of the damage to health you would take would regenerate back.

Even in PoE, it would matter how you would approach those encounters. In Deadfire it does not. And according to Josh, this is a good thing, an improvement.

Which stream is that? Obsidian->Twitch December 14th?

In IE games that only matters if you don't want to click the rest button out of principle, that's a minority, likely even here on the 'Dex.
If they removed endurance they should have removed health regeneration as well.

Then you are back at the IE system, back to spamming cure light wounds for 20 sec or whatever. Should have just stuck with hp/end.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected

Well yeah, this is the first thing Prime Junta noted when he gave his first impressions on the beta.
Replacement of health/endurance by traditional hp meter is sheer decline. Especially since the game is still designed around encounters which are mildly demanding in terms of resources.
Fucks up the whole strategic dimension of managing health over the long course of dungeoning. Which was not even that hard to begin with in the first game, at least it was there :/
If they removed endurance they should have removed health regeneration as well.
Or have it work around thresholds (33%, 66%, 100% or 25-50-75-100%). I think there are wounds that can impact this ? Someone who played through the beta will have the answer here.

This is my official 1000th post on the codex, unsurprisingly on a poe thread, and unsurprisingly a shitpost.
Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom