Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
You want to talk about grammar mistakes, Tyranny has so many I think they did it on purpose

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You want to talk about grammar mistakes, Tyranny has so many I think they did it on purpose
Yes,even i manage to catch a dozen. It was baffling bad. American writers can't write in their own language while games like Witcher put them to shame on the writing side.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My issue with the peridot description is that there's really no need for it to be there. Even if I don't know what a peridot is, I can see from the picture that it's a dull green gemstone. The description doesn't communicate anything to me as a player, isn't entertaining to read, and as an in-universe piece of writing it doesn't say anything about the setting. Whoever wrote it wasted their time
This is bullshit. Immersive well-written text descriptions are always a good thing to have in addition to images.

I would have preferred 100-fold a sketch instead of an elarged version of the icon, but we live in low-effort retarded times.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
My issue with the peridot description is that there's really no need for it to be there. Even if I don't know what a peridot is, I can see from the picture that it's a dull green gemstone. The description doesn't communicate anything to me as a player, isn't entertaining to read, and as an in-universe piece of writing it doesn't say anything about the setting. Whoever wrote it wasted their time
This is bullshit. Immersive well-written text descriptions are always a good thing to have in addition to images.

I would have preferred 100-fold a sketch instead of an elarged version of the icon, but we live in low-effort retarded times.

But where do you draw the line between "immersion" and "this clearly feels like the developer making a stone sound more important than it is". With Baldur's Gate (naturally, considering PoE is a spiritual successor) that's how I felt most of the time. Do I really need to know a lot of lore about every single stone, when at the end of the day the only meaningful difference is which one sells for more? I know MANY will disagree with me, but I feel just the same with enchanted equipment. No matter how much lore you can put behind it, it still is just a +4 sword that isn't any different from the rest. Exceptions are plot-related equipment, which is actually cool (like the sword from the lake you get in Icewind Dale).

Thonius

Arcane

But where do you draw the line between "immersion" and "this clearly feels like the developer making a stone sound more important than it is". With Baldur's Gate (naturally, considering PoE is a spiritual successor) that's how I felt most of the time. Do I really need to know a lot of lore about every single stone, when at the end of the day the only meaningful difference is which one sells for more? I know MANY will disagree with me, but I feel just the same with enchanted equipment. No matter how much lore you can put behind it, it still is just a +4 sword that isn't any different from the rest. Exceptions are plot-related equipment, which is actually cool (like the sword from the lake you get in Icewind Dale).
Because it's a way better than waves after waves soulless items like [blank][blank]of[blank][fire] sword that deals +5% melee damage. Feels less gamey...

Codex Year of the Donut
the description of the peridot may have been important in a game where

a) the price of items aren't automagically known and there is haggling
and
b) it required identification through some type of knowledge skill

In PoE, it might as well be named "green-colored vendor trash"

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But where do you draw the line between "immersion" and "this clearly feels like the developer making a stone sound more important than it is".
Excellent question. My answer would be that when a writer has spent enough time reading good literature, and is creative and talented, he will have developed a taste for how to construct a description of an object, such that it would satisfy the requirements for the context - an ingame item description for a fantasy game. It will be short, it will describe its physical properties, and through some means give it a place in the context of the setting - probably include a mention of the region it is gathered in, or the kind of uses it serves, what sort of people use it, etc.

But these things should all come naturally to a good writer, it's not the editor's work to function as a writer's imagination and be creative in his stead.

Disclaimer, my point isn't to compare descriptions across games and expect to prove something in this way. I believe writing should be compared as a whole, and such individual examples should only be used after knowing the whole, and for illustrating a particular point. My point is that the writing as a whole is clumsy, unimaginative, and overly literal - doesn't make the right decisions about when to be explicit, and when to leave the reader's imagination to work.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Honestly i didn't even knew that such items have a description. I do get it for the unique items,it could have a nice short story or something. But most common items don't need that much of writing,it is nice to be there but it is not something important. Still i do believe in "If you do something,then do it right."

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sensuki
You are not the only victim of the Zionist agenda of Obsidian Cocksucking here at the Codex.

Add me to the ranks.

I remember, I beat DU 1v1 in Unreal Tournament to have your last tag removed. My tag isn't because Infinitron didn't like what I was posting, however. I leaked Prime Junta's shit Pillars review and DarkUnderlord gave me the tags.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
It looks like a bruised Sean Murray portrait with beef or pork ribs hanging on his neck.

2house2fly

Magister

I didn't mean there shouldn't be a description, I meant the description as-is is pointless.

Sizzle

Arcane

I didn't mean there shouldn't be a description, I meant the description as-is is pointless.

Exactly. Just like in, say, a comic book, the text should work with the image - to give us information we can't already see.

So, in this case, the description shouldn't be about how it's a greenish stone - we know that - but some interesting info about how it's used, maybe for alchemical purposes. Incidentally, this would also tie it into the crafting system the game uses.

Sensuki
You are not the only victim of the Zionist agenda of Obsidian Cocksucking here at the Codex.

Add me to the ranks.

I remember, I beat DU 1v1 in Unreal Tournament to have your last tag removed. My tag isn't because Infinitron didn't like what I was posting, however. I leaked Prime Junta's shit Pillars review and DarkUnderlord gave me the tags.
I am sure of you dig deep enough, Infinitron can be blamed. Somehow.

Cause be nice to devs and dev companies and get freebies/access is the Zion's right-think agenda.

There was a time, when I was a lurker, and DU was vehemently opposed to giving the jew more authority than he had. How times have changed. :negative:

Also Sensuki, how unbalanced do you think P:E2 will be on release? And how many years of JES's autist tinkering till v3.0.3 is out?

As soon as some player discovers some fun multiclass combo; wait a few weeks for muh balance patch. This will go on for years...

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Can you tell me why PoE threads are always the most discussed (hundreds of pages)?

This franchise must be really special

:balance:

out of all the things that survived the kickstarter craze, PoE is like the big thing.

at least after Roxor sunk Larian's ship for good as far as the Kodex is concerned

Prime Junta

at least after Roxor sunk Larian's ship for good as far as the Kodex is concerned

The Roxor is powerful indeed, but it only rules over the sheeple who think themselves edgelord and so mindlessly follow. I'm sure there are plenty of people left who liked DOS2 and continue to like it despite the Roxoring (as strange as that may seem).

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

The Roxor is powerful indeed, but it only rules over the sheeple who think themselves edgelord and so mindlessly follow. I'm sure there are plenty of people left who liked DOS2 and continue to like it despite the Roxoring (as strange as that may seem).

could be my very superficial impression, but it seems to me posting on D:OS2 has died down since the review was posted. If that's true I don't know if it's due to groupthink or people just don't want to go against the hivemind

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lots of people here (like me) were apathetic to the first DOS and then the dumbing down of the sequel moved them from apathy to dislike.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I do think the developer's intention is important, yeah. The game failing to do something it didn't try to achieve is nonsensical.
I presented a few objections and you ignore them and repeated your previews statements. Let me explain the objections again.

First, you didn’t provide any arguments that the developers weren’t trying to achieve some sort of plausibility in the way they present the game world. You can see that in BG2 they thought about all sorts of minute details, e.g., the threat of prison involving the use of magic can be bypassed by bribing corrupt officials. To think they don’t give a shit and just want to provide the player with things to kill is a caricature that reflects your preferences, not those from the developers.

Second, even if they didn’t want to make things plausible, it doesn’t shield them from criticism. The developers from Bioware didn’t want DA:I to have good combat and itemization, but that does not shield them from criticisms about such combat and itemization. If this line of reasoning does not work in this case, it does not work with BG2 either. Again, you didn’t provided any reply to this objection, but just repeated your statement without arguments.

I can't bring myself to criticize the fact that a pack of trash mobs is composed of ogres and oozes with absolutely no reason for these creatures to get along. And yet again, yes : it's a legitimate complain. I just don't understand how it would be considered a matter of writing and not of design.
Because you are adopting a superficial notion of writing, which is nothing more than the available written text in dialogues and story. Read the comments above about this topic.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Roxor is powerful indeed, but it only rules over the sheeple who think themselves edgelord and so mindlessly follow.

Go fuck yourself, you pompous dipshit, fuck your mellow reviews, your fetish for shit lore and all your machinations.
You are truly deluded is you really think that.

but it seems to me posting on D:OS2 has died down since the review was posted.
Divinity: OS2 is a fun game that had its time under the spotlight, a game not so good that you'll hear about in 10 years or memes like "Every time you mention it, someone will install it", no nothing.
The lapse in obscurity started way before the review was posted.

Sizzle

Arcane
You can see that in BG2 they thought about all sorts of minute details, e.g., the threat of prison involving the use of magic can be bypassed by bribing corrupt officials

The only time BG2 magically becomes a fully fleshed-out RPG, is when people are comparing it with PoE :lol:

Otherwise, it's remembered almost exclusively for its combat and items, but if you mention it in a PoE thread, it transforms into this amazing and cohesive world, full of deep lore that makes Morrowind look like a little bitch, a faction system that shits all over F:NV's, and "attention to minute details" - such as having fire resistance and dragon slaying equipment in the lair of a Red Dragon :D

Good on you, Lurkey, keep shifting them goalposts - say whatever it takes you think will make you "win" :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't bring myself to criticize the fact that a pack of trash mobs is composed of ogres and oozes with absolutely no reason for these creatures to get along. And yet again, yes : it's a legitimate complain. I just don't understand how it would be considered a matter of writing and not of design.

It is a matter of both. A pack of ogres and oozes might be an interesting encounter in terms of design, but it's bad writing if they haven't established why they'd work together, or even worse - established that they wouldn't. It might not seem that big of a deal, but it's symptomatic of larger, already discussed, issues. I generally agree with what Lurker King is saying, he just isn't presenting it very well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom