Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree, it doesn't directly translate to bad writing. You could have a linear game with bad exploration and good writing without problem. But having bad exploration isn't the cause for PoE's bad writing. We already know the main cause - the writing is first draft.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Shit writing is shit writing, but obviously you can't just put in a shakespearean poem into an action game and call it a day. It has to fit together.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
yYAWSr2.png

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Are you also of the opinion that it's not possible to discuss the quality of screenwriting for a movie or a TV series, because you can only evaluate it by considering the quality of the cinematography, acting, editing, sound design, and everything else that goes into it?
Of course it is, but it’s way less important than it is usually assumed and reveals a lack of understanding of what the medium should strive for.

Those sound like artificial distinctions to me. I mean, sure, they are factors to consider when discussing the writing, and the importance of writing itself may change, but I don't see how it makes it futile to discuss writing as its own thing at all.
I agree that it would be too reductive to assume that good combat and exploration is all that needs to be said about the issue, it is not. To know whether the setting, the NPCs, and the main character are imaginative or generic are important to the writing aspect, but these are abstract ideas that you infer from the prose. The quality of the writing is not measured by the amount or sophistication of the prose. It seems to me that most cRPG writers, journalists and players tend to evaluate the issue by the sophistication of the prose, which is an absurd mistake. Besides, as I said earlier, the most important part of the writing involves ideas that will affect gameplay aspects and not so much the quality of the setting, characters, NPCs, etc. In the ideal world, you would have both, but most developers can’t deliver neither. The more you treat the two aspects of game writing as separated, the more pretentious people and lore dumps dissociated from gameplay, and bad gameplay you have, and vice versa.

Last edited:
I agree, it doesn't directly translate to bad writing. You could have a linear game with bad exploration and good writing without problem. But having bad exploration isn't the cause for PoE's bad writing. We already know the main cause - the writing is first draft.
You people baffle me. Good writing in cRPGs is not the same thing as good writing in other mediums. This terminological dispute is not a mere verbal dispute. It’s a normative one that includes the nature of the medium and the aims it should strive for. Good writing is not dissociated from good game design. PS:T would be a poorly written mess without good game design. Now I understand how insulted Avellone must feel since everyone in the industry decided to pigeonhole him in this idiotic pseudo-category of cRPG writer. It’s an insulting and reductive role.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The general idea of writing is the same, just the form is different. There are very few things that won't fly in novels but would in games, like side quests that aren't connected in some way to the main plot. What you seem to be proposing is a holistic approach to viewing the issue, i.e. the game is a complete whole that can't be dissected this way, and I'd agree, but not in the way you are presenting it.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
You people baffle me. Good writing in cRPGs is not the same thing as good writing in other mediums. This terminological dispute is not a mere verbal dispute. It’s a normative one that includes the nature of the medium and the aims it should strive for. Good writing is not dissociated from good game design. PS:T would be a poorly written mess without good game design. Now I understand how insulted Avellone must feel since everyone in the industry decided to pigeonhole him in this idiotic pseudo-category of cRPG writer. It’s an insulting and reductive role.

just what is good about PS:T's game design

The general idea of writing is the same, just the form is different. There are very few things that won't fly in novels but would in games, like side quests that aren't connected in some way to the main plot. What you seem to be proposing is a holistic approach to viewing the issue, i.e. the game is a complete whole that can't be dissected this way, and I'd agree, but not in the way you are presenting it.
It is not just that you need a systematic and organic approach, it’s that you are talking about a complete different medium. I think this confusion is mostly caused by the hybrid nature of cRPGs as a genre. The way I see things, cinema should strive to provide the player with a quasi-experiential knowledge that he usually wouldn’t have. Games are attempts to surpass unnecessary challenges. cRPGs are games that also happen to be simulationist by vocation. You have things such as stats, skills, choices and these are attempts to provide a simplified model of world into the game world. The result is that now you want good gameplay (the challenge part) and an active role in something that should provide some sort of quasi-experiential knowledge or experience (the writing part). If you invest too much on the gameplay aspects, you can have a decent game with uninteresting models, thus betraying the simulationist aspect of cRPGs. The result is uninspired FedEx quests, goblins to kill and hero-fantasy for menchildren. On the other hand, if you invest too much on the simulationist aspect you have pretentious lore dump with purple prose, bad gameplay, etc., which is worse.

Notice that ideally you should have both, but some compromise should be made. “Age of Decadence” pushed the writing part to the extreme without disregarding the challenge part, but the result of this approach is that the gameplay is less fluid, because you need to take into account the skill and stat checks. I would gladly accept this restriction, but not other people that don’t care about realism.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
When "arguing" with Lurker King, everyone should keep in mind that this is a person who claimed that Age of Decadence has writing that is Shakespearian! levels of quality.

He likes what he likes because he likes it, and, therefore, it must be good. And he'll try to muster all manner of pseudo-philosophical ramblings in order to appear like he knows what he's talking about. Because, in his mind, a game surely must be excellence personified if he liked it that much. He's akin to one of those literary/movie snobs who claim they only read/watch literary classics/art house films, and only sometimes indulge in lesser works - but purely in order to analyze and laugh at them.

It's the same way with everything he dislikes. PoE2 has ships. "Why, I bet they stole that from Nantucket!" If Nantucket didn't exist, he would have just as soon namedropped Sid Meir's Pirates! - anything to conveniently suit his worldview.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
hmm so the walking around part is gud

I'll not even argue with that actually

you also have that possible quality in a novel though, or a CYOA

When "arguing" with Lurker King, everyone should keep in mind that this is a person who claimed that Age of Decadence has writing that is Shakespearian! levels of quality.
I enjoyed the dry no-nosense style of AoD, of course. That style is called “classic”, but if a person is too ignorant (or too butthurted) to know what this means, she will immediately infer that I’m talking about classic as a honorific term, when it’s obviously not the case. But then again, that’s the type of superficial idiotic people you attract when you decide to post on the internet.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
hmm so the walking around part is gud. I'll not even argue with that actually. you also have that possible quality in a novel though, or a CYOA
Sure, if you consider that "the walking around" part is called "exploration".

doesn't matter how you call it, if one quality of the game is the writing, and the other one is discovering more locations/ NPC's/ dialogue, all of that is easily doable in prose, no game format needed.

doesn't matter how you call it, if one quality of the game is the writing, and the other one is discovering more locations/ NPC's/ dialogue, all of that is easily doable in prose, no game format needed.
It’s needed in the sense that you have the illusion of agency you wouldn’t have in a book or a movie.

Sizzle

Arcane
I enjoyed the dry no-nosense style of AoD, of course. That style is called “classic”, but if a person is too ignorant (or too butthurted) to know what this means

And there you go - when you can't say that you enjoyed something without putting a label on it, to put it into quasi-elitist context. God forbid you enjoy something without being pretentious about it - where's the fun in that?! :D

she will immediately infer

Awww, calling someone a woman on an internet forum, that's so cute :D How very old-school of you, Lurkey :lol:

Or is this some sort of weird Freudian slip where you subconsciously pine for the only AoD playthrough you've never attempted - playing as a female :lol:

that I’m talking about classic as a honorific term, when it’s obviously not the case.

Even though you consider AoD to be the classiest classical classic that ever classed :D

But then again, that’s the type of superficial idiotic people you attract when you decide to post on the internet.

Agreed, dude. The only way to confirm you're not an idiot is to constantly talk about how you're actually very smart and refined - because you play the right kind™ of video games.

It's totally that, and not at all about blatantly overcompensating :lol:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh man, I had all this great stuff to say about Thaos as Zarathustra but now the thread has moved on.

Thaos is a rope stretched between beast and overman—a rope over an abyss... etc...

just what is good about PS:T's game design

Aside from no death/resurrection, there’s a lot that’s kind of brilliant. From the very start, MCA encourages you to treat dialogue as exploration. Talking to the zombies and other weird denizens of the morgue rewards you with cool items and abilities and stat boosts and recovered memories, which give you lots of experience. It sets up a powerful incentive to actually read everything. My first playthough I didn’t talk to Deonarra thoroughly enough, so I didn’t get the resurrect power, which made managing my companions a lot harder.

You can often use random knowledge gleaned from previous conversations to unlock new quest options: if Stale Mary teaches you how to speak to dead people, you can use that to learn the lost language of the Uyo, which then placates the paranoid incarnation near the end. You constantly run into evidence of your predecessors. The design of the tomb being a great example.

Nearly everything you’re told about the way Sigil and the planes operate—belief is reality, the rule of threes, the city being full if scumbags, the lady of Pain and how she mazes anyone who pisses her off—ends up reflected in the game world somewhere. You don’t just read about the lore, you experience it. Using belief to change reality is how you save Curst, or cause Adahn to spring into existence, or will the professor in the Sensate Hall into nonexistence. The rule of threes pops up all over the place. Some scumbag steals your pet skull. The Lady does maze you if you do too many things to piss her off.

Getting 2 million exp for learning your name is another great example of how design decisions really reinforce the themes of the writing within the structure of the game world and the mechanics of the game. And the list goes on.

Of course, no other RPG comes close on this front, except maybe Fallout and Arcanum. The synergies between the writing and everything else are unparalleled.

With Pillars there was much more of a disconnect between the dialogue and the design. But, again, just because the design and the writing in Pillars fail to match PS:T, arguably the best RPG ever, means very little. And I’d say this is more a problem of design than a writing issue.

I’m hoping that the lore you pick up in Deadfire more often has a solid a connection to the rest of the game.

Prime Junta is, of course, correct that you can and should analyze these elements on their own. That doesn’t prevent you from also taking a more gestalt approach.

Sizzle

Arcane

:what:

He also thinks the graphics are excellent.

So, yeah, the most deluded fanboy on all the Codex is arguing with people about their preferences. The irony is so thick you could cut it with a dull butter knife.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom