Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced and Live on Fig

2house2fly

Magister
Well, I was initially thinking he would be told to do it. :M But actually, MCA's no stranger to "haunted survivor of an epic disaster" narratives. Caed Nua as Malachor V or The Divide?
He's also no stranger to making the player character crippled in some way- amnesia in PST, being stripped of the Force in KOTOR2, bomb collars in Dead Money, your brain being scooped out in Old World Blues. In fact one of his characters for PoE lost a chunk of his soul after an encounter with Eothas.

Agreed. Still, I'd like to believe he'd come up with something better, considering they have full creative freedom and own the IP.

Granted, PoE2 has the challenge of having to come up with an excuse for the PC losing all powers and loot, but their solution doesn't even go all the way. Getting fucked up and having your castle destroyed gets rid of your stuff, but it doesn't explain going back to level 1, so why bother? Not to mention the old companions, who will be back to square one as well.
In the trailer the statue is sucking people's souls out, presumably it gets at least some of yours.

throwaway

Cipher
I, for one, don't see the huge difference in the gfx (useless paperdoll models aside).
Fergie looks somewhat depleted to me.
The uninspiring namedrops (SouthPark? really??) and lack of MCA/Cain earns this ~ :3/5:

The bundle that includes PoE1 is a bit too high at 80$.

almondblight

Arcane
you continue and encounter almost an identical group of monsters, you use the same tactics, kill them again then continue on and fight another similar group of monsters. It almost feels like I'm playing

...on of the Codex Classics. Seriously, you just described most of the games in the pre-1995 game recommendations thread. Maybe if people stopped promoting bad design you wouldn't see it so often.

Flou

Arbiter
The uninspiring namedrops (SouthPark? really??) and lack of MCA/Cain earns this ~ :3/5:

It is one of their few actual hit games if you look at sold copies and reviews, so it kinda makes sense. Not that I see most of South Park fans spending money on Pillars.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What I don't really like is when you know right from the start who your final enemy will be. That's one of the few details that made Gothic II a bit less great than Gothic.
There's still hope for some twist at the end, but I feel kinda spoilered already.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What I don't really like is when you know right from the start who your final enemy will be. That's one of the few details that made Gothic II a bit less great than Gothic.
There's still hope for some twist at the end, but I feel kinda spoilered already.
Bg1 opens with Sarevok murdering a Bhaalspawn.
Bg2 opens with Irenicus doing experiments to you in your cell.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
When shitposting on the codex and picking fights with Obsidian fan boys is more fun than playing an Obsidian game, you should start questioning Obsidian.

kid-nightclub.gif

Your point being...?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Your point being...?
:hmmm:

Your point being...?
:hmmm:
So you mean BG I and BG II are clearly perfect gaems, and I of course must have hinted to be of the same opinion, therefore it just can not be that something happening in both gaems can possibly be considered a flaw!?
:philosoraptor:
Wow, checkmate! I'm impressed!
:kingcomrade: :excellent: :creamyblood: :bravo:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What I don't really like is when you know right from the start who your final enemy will be.

I don't really have anything special against knowing the supposed adversary, but I'm sort of hoping that the given premise is not really what it seems to be. That it turns out it isn't Eothas, nor any "god" that made these things happen and put the player on the hunt, but something else entirely.

Sizzle

Arcane
I doubt the Eothas statue will actually be the main villain.

I'm pretty confident the person who destroyed all your stuff, killed all your people, and almost destroyed your soul will be the antagonist.

Possibly, but there will probably be some twist as to why that happened: Eothas becoming twisted into an antithesis of his former portfolio by the Godhammer/the time he spent "dead"; Eothas believing what he's doing is for the greater good; etc.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kind of not liking the whole "depowering" thing for this sequel, if you are going to go with a 1 level char why not go for a brand new protagonist and have the Pillars series be sort of like TES where the setting itself is sort of the protagonist and your character is one of many adventurers on the setting itself.
One of the cool things about live campaigns is seeing that empowering where they players started killing rats and goblins and finally battling Demi Liches and semi gods... Throne of Baal had that super epic feel of fighting some of the most powerful creatures in the D&D universe for example
Maybe they will do that sort of expansion and wrap the story for your character here but why not go all the way and just start completly fresh?
Maybe at the start of the game Eder is with you taking you to Cad Nua because you are one of the new Watchers and you get to see his master killed (your old char) and absorbed and you get to join up with his old companions for a brand new adventure... that could be a pretty cool link between stories and allow each sequel to have that sort of new place new beginning justification

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I'm pretty confident the person who destroyed all your stuff, killed all your people, and almost destroyed your soul will be the antagonist.

Possibly, but there will probably be some twist as to why that happened: Eothas becoming twisted into an antithesis of his former portfolio by the Godhammer/the time he spent "dead"; Eothas believing what he's doing is for the greater good; etc.
That part was already covered with him taking over a guy's body, taking over a country and then starting war with neighbouring country. What kind of shit can he start now?

Sizzle

Arcane

That part was already covered with him taking over a guy's body, taking over a country and then starting war with neighbouring country. What kind of shit can he start now?

Well, Ondra actually threw a moon at the Engwithians because she thought it was necessary - so I'm sure there are lots of things an enraged god can do that's worse than starting a war.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah I think due to the feedback towards Thaos they're going for an upfront in your face antagonist this time.
So did you back this Sensuki or still butthurt over Pillars? I would recommend you to try the last versions man, the main problems still remain but your main gripe (the combat) feels much nicer with the additions of AI

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Are you kidding?

I may have been stupid enough to back the original and was blind to the inevitable outcome, but at least I have some capacity to learn from my mistakes.

I think it will be a better game for sure, and a new lead designer and lead system designer presents an opportunity for some change, but there's no fucking way I'm backing another Obsidian (or inXile) project. In fact I highly doubt I'll participate in another crowd funding project again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom