Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Yep. And given some people take 20 to do what others take 80..

^ Top  
  2. Jenkem Arbiter Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    where is the 150 hours of content in POE? lmao

^ Top  
  3. santino27 Prophet

santino27
    Parrots:
    One thing that occurred to me is that, because this game is supposed to be fairly broad and non-linear, there are a lot of concepts they have no way of knowing if the player is familiar with yet. (i.e. maybe they explained it in a nice, coherent, non-lore-dumpy way on island A, but you went to island B first.) Obviously, there are ways around that problem, but I'd wager the hyperlinks are by far the solution that takes the least work on their part, and efficiency matters.

If they weren''t hitting you with 15 links a conversation, I think people would be bothered less. As it is, the implementation in the beta is not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not really. I was mostly just looking to prove my earlier point that Obsidian weren't looking to make a short game (despite what Eric said in our interview with him back in 2016). The exact number of hours is probably bullshit. It'll certainly be bullshit for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    There's no need to prove anything, Eric doesn't work there & he was giving his own opinion, not a look at the direction the studio was considering in the future.

^ Top  
  6. santino27 Prophet

santino27
    Parrots:
    Some of that is the way JES explained it would work; you get one point every level up that can be distributed to either of your classes (so you choose between), and then when you get a new power level, you get two points. However, you're supposed to have to split those two points between classes. As a result, you never get to put more points into a single class than a proper single class character could... (and your power level is way lower).

I could swear it was like that when the beta first launched too, so maybe it's a bug that has been introduced since.

^ Top  
  7. Jenkem Arbiter Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    I am now envisioning Infinitron meticulously reading every backer NPC's stories multiple times...

:shredder:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's probably a combination of reading a bit slowly, deliberating a lot over character building decisions and dialogue responses, frequently save-scumming to explore alternate dialogue options, and sometimes spending an hour or more trying to get through certain battles without getting a knockout or being damaged too much.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    That's why you don't have lore dumps every second NPC. The lore should be apparent from the way you interact with the world and how that world is set up, not by telling you what's what. It's the mark of an amateur writer to flesh out his world to the tiniest detail (even though it's still elves and dwarves), but don't actually do anything with that and fill pages upon pages with only descriptions about how the world operates. For example, let's take that koiki fruit quest in the beta, why are you telling me you have festivals where you eat the fruit for some reason instead of showing me that festival and let me partake in the fruit eating? Tell me to go get the fruit for the festival and show me that it's the last fruit from a dying tree that is the last of its kind on the island. We really don't have a reason to care about any of this if we aren't personally involved. Hell, most people in the real world don't care that African children are starving because they aren't directly involved, let alone care about that stuff in a fictional world. Then you ask me to choose which character has to die? Dumb. I don't believe for a second that these people have the food shortage they claim to have and I also don't believe they have goods that will be of interest to Vailian traders for the chief to put his faith entirely on that. Then they ask you to make a choice about that as well. It's impotent and very unnatural.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. polo Liturgist

polo
    Parrots:
    Now that we know this game is huge, i think we can confirm a good rpg cannot be short.

This post was sponsored by Blaine.

• Funny Funny x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. Rev Erudite

Rev
    Parrots:
    Who thought that PoE2 was gonna be a short game? Every now and then they've been naming BG2 and how they want PoE2 to be to first PoE what BG2 was to BG1, and BG2 is literally filled with content.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    She was answering how long the first game was, she didn't estimate any number of hours for Deadfire nor for its main path other than saying Deadfire will be just as big or bigger.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Whoops! You're right. Still the result is the same, the first game is what I said and the second game is as least as long.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    Sure, you can claim that, but I really doubt it.

^ Top  
  15. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    If they structured their quests like NV as they say, it should be very flexible for how short/long it can be. Tho even if we can go straight to somewhere to find Eothas(Benny) without dealing with factions then leap to the end, I'd guess there'd be serious combat roadblocks in a game like this which would require properly leveled party as opposed to FNV.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Seeing as you can level scale the entire thing, there wouldn't be combat roadblocks if you don't want there to be. The quest journal in the beta does tell you when you are underleveled for a quest, though, which is very MMOish, not gonna lie.

^ Top  
  17. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Yeah but Josh said levels will scale in a narrow band so how low level can a scaled down end game combat encounter be? If it'll be lv10 then we'd need to reach near that level first which could take some time, unless we can avoid combat which I seriously doubt would be possible in this type of game. Guess I'm questioning "How speed-run-able Deadfire will be?"

^ Top  
  18. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Doubt what? The fact that he doesn't work there? The fact that he was giving his own opinion, and thus, his words were not indicative of the direction the studio would be pursuing? Both of these are very easily verifiable facts.

^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I am,wasted 600 hours when it came. It is like energy drinks,all shit and will fuck your life but you can't stop drinking it :negative:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    I am doubting that Eric was just voicing his own opinion. You want to test the waters, you send someone out there to talk about your plans as if they were their own opinion. Politics 101.

^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Worth noting that our interview happened shortly before Tyranny was announced. I later speculated that Eric thought that what the Tyranny team was doing was cool (shorter game with more C&C) and he was alluding to that.

^ Top  
  22. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    Right. So my best guess is that the reason we dodged the bullet in PoE2 is that Tyranny didn't do very well. The better Tyranny would do, the more PoE2 would emulate it in the things it did differently than PoE1.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Rev Erudite

Rev
    Parrots:
    Eric would probably prefer to work in a 25 hours long rpg, it's just that PoE cannot be that game, being inspired by Baldur's Gate and all.
    I don't know what's Sawyer's preference on the lenght of a game, though, but we may discover it if he actually gets to make his historical low-fantasy rpg, since it would probably be a smaller project and it would be completely acceptable for everyone involved (Feargus, producers, the fans) if it was a rather short experience, and he would also have far more freedom in designing it than he has with PoE (where he was able to make most of the decisions himself but he had to adhere to some impositions like RTwP, classes, high fantasy setting, and some other stuff).

^ Top  
  24. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    There's no need to go "test the waters" by sending one guy to say stupid shit, simply because of the fact that crowd reaction does not match their behaviour.

Assuming, however, that you are correct and they merely wanted to test the waters and actually sent Eric to say that shit about shorter games, then I very much doubt they'd do it in an interview given to a relatively small site like the Codex (especially since the Codex certainly isn't their target audience), that wasn't even republished in any other mainstream gaming media website.

Lastly, he started the sentence by saying "Personally". I don't assume people (in this case, companies) are stupid, so I'd lean more on the side that he was actually giving his own opinion on the subject, and not merely following orders by the obsidian triumvirate illuminati.

^ Top  
  25. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    The way I see it, they tested ideas by talking to us, and they also tested ideas with Tyranny. The number of companions follows the same logic. Eric was arguing that they could do better with less companions, Tyranny tried it, Tyranny didn't do very well. They still reduced the companion# in PoE2, as this was the original plan, but to 4 instead of 3 (Tyranny has 3, right?).

In base PoE, the best feedback they got was for Raedric's Hold. So it only makes sense that they would be thinking to make a shorter game that is Raedric's Hold-like.

Anyway, this is my theory. I was also discussing this in PoE's thread when Tyranny was announced.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)