Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Gameplay Video, Previews and Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lambchop, you're a Codexer. You've played dozens of fantasy RPGs and built hundreds of stereotypical burly fighters, sneaky thieves and smart mages.

As somebody with a similar background, my "belief" was suspended a long time ago. I'm ready for something new now. My fascination from the balance and mathematical elegance of this new system far exceeds any desire for "OMG ITZ SO REAL" simulation.

Again, we've seen this stuff a million times before. What exactly are you so dying to simulate here? Another medieval fantasy world? What's the big fucking deal?

Suicidal

Arcane
What I like about Sawyer's idea is that it potentially allows you to change the numbers of your abilities any way you like. Want your skill to do more damage? Up your strength/might. Want it to hit more enemies? Up your intelligence. Want it to hit more frequently? Up your dexterity (I'm assuming skills can miss).

But of course, it's all about implementation. It will depend on the actual numbers, how many different skills each class has, etc. Sawyer can praise himself all he wants but until he actually realizes his plans I will withhold judgement. However, I am really looking forward to seeing what he manages to do with this system of his.

Hormalakh

Magister
you can't use "range" as widely when it comes to skill checks. This is the main issue. You want a single attribute to play for two different mechanics. Combat mechanics and skill checks. And then you got DND grogs who miss the old attributes.

God, why are we having these inane conversations all over again? We've rehashed these things millions of times over. Get the fuck over them. Who gives a crap if intelligence increases your AoE/Duration or Might/strength increases all healing/damage? This isn't D&D.

Hormalakh

Magister
Everyone sees a flaw. nobody knows how to fix it. Going back to D&D is not the answer.

Higher Animal

Arcane
- First dungeon is easy, must be the same way through the entire game.
- English letters representing fantasy concepts not aligning with tropes formerly associated with said fantasy concepts is a really big fucking deal.
- Half a page of posts on the lack of a romance option in-game.

-RPG KKKodex 2014

Weasel
- First dungeon is easy, must be the same way through the entire game.
- English letters representing fantasy concepts not aligning with tropes formerly associated with said fantasy concepts is a really big fucking deal.
- Half a page of posts on the lack of a romance option in-game.

-RPG KKKodex 2014
Interesting, but think you missed out:

- Edgy KKK harvesting

Shevek

Arcane
Quick impressions:

Good
+ The low level gameplay looks slightly more in depth than BG1 low level play. If abilities continue to open up, there should be a nice set of tactical options to keep the player busy once the player has a larger party and a couple of levels. (Also, if I were at Obsidian, I would have made one of the early companions a ranged character to really show off some varied combat tactics.)
+ I am beginning to really dig this take on a stat system. Some people don't think strong wizards or smart barbarians is roleplaying but it sits very well with me. I also like the MECHANICAL advantages to all stats rather than relying on scripted interactions to make INT of value for a melee character (for example).
+ The endurance/hp system looks solid. The resting mechanic makes sense too.
+ The graphics are fantastic. Kiddies who like full 3d probably can't appreciate quality 2d but it certainly looks great to me.
+ Storybook interactions are awesome. There is plenty of potential here.

Bad
- I was hoping that the regional options for your race would offer some substantial mechanical differences as opposed to just starting equipment and skin tone.
- I am still not digging some of the weird words/names/etc. It really seems like being different for the sake of being different. It kinda reminds me how characters said "Frell" or "Yotz" on the show Farscape (or "Frak" on BSG or characters splurting random Chinese in Firefly). I mean, it's out of place. Everything else is standard English (therefore, its already been translated for us) so why start flinging around these out of place terms? It is jarring and really takes away from the game.

Unsure
= I am on the fence regarding combat speed. It seems a tad bit slow. Still, that may allow the player time to make more decisions and the like. Also, combat will certainly speed up a bit as the player gets more powerful and increases the size of his party.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Bad
- I was hoping that the regional options for your race would offer some substantial mechanical differences as opposed to just starting equipment and skin tone.

I think they'll be open to player feedback about this kind of stuff. Cultural Backgrounds actually gave +1 to an ability score.

Shevek

Arcane
I didnt notice the +1 to the ability score. That is okay (especially since all stats are of value to all classes). I would hope for a bit more (resistance to certain types of damage or status ailments, special bonuses against an enemy type, etc). Still, +1 to a score is something at least. Hopefully the races themselves would have some of those bigger bonuses.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I didnt notice the +1 to the ability score. That is okay (especially since all stats are of value to all classes). I would hope for a bit more (resistance to certain types of damage or status ailments, special bonuses against an enemy type, etc). Still, +1 to a score is something at least. Hopefully the races themselves would have some of those bigger bonuses.

Read the next codex feature (PE interview) to find out a bit more! ;)

Delterius

Arcane
Change the name "intelligence" to range and it's perfectly logical.
The issue is that even though Intelligence has much more applicability than mere booksmarts, people are still going to read it as such. What is needed is to discard it entirely and search for a mental competence that is much more vague and therefore more versatile but still an innate characteristic of the character. Let's say that a Cunning character (in the sense that he is crafty and skillfull) can maximize the potential of his techniques, be it the bladestorm or the fireball.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Change the name "intelligence" to range and it's perfectly logical.
The issue is that even though Intelligence has much more applicability than mere booksmarts, people are still going to read it as such. What is needed is to discard it entirely and search for a mental competence that is much more vague and therefore more versatile but still an innate characteristic of the character. Let's say that a Cunning character (in the sense that he is crafty and skillfull) can maximize the potential of his techniques, be it the bladestorm or the fireball.
Even better, change it to Genius (or Neanderthal).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am loving the attribute based diffrences here, it look like you can actualy customise your character in whatever way you feel based on your gameplay style. It reminds me a lot of the Darklands approach where all the characters needed endurance and strength to be viable fighters plus their "class" attribute, be it perception inteligence or agility.
With this system its like want a AoE style who might hit multiple enemies per round, then raise your agility.
Want a strong fighter who can do as much damage possible ina strike, raise strength...and so forth
Want a magic user who can affect more targets with their spells or who can do more damage
Between this and the D&D style abilities almost any build could be viable...which sounds like a nightmare to balance but that is what the beta backer is for
It almost sounds like the Witcher style of combat options, hit hard but slow, hit many times but for less damage, or hit everybody for crowd control
Simply excelent

Shannow

Waster of Time
Or simply do not have a stat/skill that magically increases range for melee attacks. Just a thought.
I don't see why every stat needs to provide the exact same advantages to every class. Why can't a mage derive more benefits from int (eg, better spell durations, AoE range, etc) in addition to secondary benefits (dialogue, skills, whatever) and a barbarian in return gain more benefits from const (eg, longer duration of rage, sprint, etc) in addition to secondary benefits (HP, stamina, resistances, whatever)? Oh right, Sawyer balance: Everything needs to be the same. How could I dare to blaspheme.

Personally, I prefer the concept of the stat/skill system of The Dark Eye (Drakensang). Should be great with some tweaking and the addition of action-points with turn based combat. But He-Man RPG is what it is. The char system is a matter of preference and the PoE thread probably had at least 400 pages of pointless discussion about that. So it's moot to criticize it now. We'll just have to hope they'll see the light and come up with a good system when they finally do a TB game... :M

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Look, I don't like the design paradigms of this guy either, but he seemed like a bro in the video and I'm willing to at least give it a try. We'll see.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What's the big fucking deal?
Bro, as you said, I'm a Codexer. Anything dumb enough to irk me is a big deal and mandates the requisite amount of :butthurt:. I like things to make sense and I don't like things that don't make sense. Simple as that.

Also, as a Codexer, I am quite trollable and with the way some of the arguments itt are worded, it's hard for me not to respond. :M

But as I said earlier, it's not a dealbreaker. Now if they suddenly said there were no romances...
:troll:

edit:
Although I don't actually care much, outside of my build playing as I imagine it should, as outlined in my other comment, I would prefer attributes that make sense while being balanced. So I guess I agree to an extent,(just apathetic about it.) so what's the proposed solution? What should int do instead?
mod crit damage/chance (my earlier off-the-cuff suggestion) and/or skill point gain. Really it's not hard to come up with something more INT related. I mean, if you want it can still mod aoe for magic though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Didn't you pay attention? They wrote somewhere there are no romances. So, uh, enjoy?
Edit: I might be wrong, but I read it in this thread, and supposedly it came straight from Sawyer.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I like the look of all this but man I hope they fix those spell/ability icons. They do not look good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom