Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Director's Commentary Streams with Josh Sawyer

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they don't announce it during a stream like this. i doubt they will have many viewers.

Fry

Arcane
It's not like they're going to get a featured spot at E3 or something. For a game like this, a dev stream is where you'd do it in 2016.

It'll be followed by all the usual social media stuff, of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they don't announce it during a stream like this. i doubt they will have many viewers.

Oh, I didn't mean they're going to announce it now in this stream, just that this seems like a buildup to a proper announcement.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-directors-commentary-streams

Pillars of Eternity Director's Commentary Streams!
Starting today (November 30th) at 4PM PST/1AM CET, our own Community Manager, Aarik Dorobiala, will be joined by Pillars of Eternity Game Director, Josh Sawyer, as they play through Pillars on our Twitch channel and provide a director's commentary for the game. This will be the first of four planned streams we'll be doing over the next couple of months. They'll look back on the game that is closing in on two years since it's release and answer questions direct from Twitch chat. The planned dates for these streams are as follows:

- Stream 1: November 30th

- Stream 2: December 14th

- Stream 3: January 4th

- Stream 4: January 18th

Stream dates are subject to change, but any updates will be posted on the Eternity site!

PoE2 announcement not before Jan 18?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Oh boy Sawyer wants to change interrupts to be more like Tranny's "only some special abilities interrupt" system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Also says he might allow interrupts to cause spell loss if you interrupt a spellcaster while he's casting, like in D&D

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That is cool but attacks not interrupting is gay. It's annoying as fuck in Tranny to have a guy going ham on a mage while he just stand there spamming every cooldown.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We'll see - I'm not sure if he has the exact same thing in mind as what Tyranny does.

Sentinel

Arcane
I think it's okay as long as the guy banging the mage has abilities that can interrupt spell casting. But then you almost have to give every class an ability to cancel spell casting. So it's kind of like "why bother?" since that's the system that's already de facto in place.

Ent

Savant
I want the chance for a spell to go absolutely haywire if the cast is interrupted - alas I don't think something like that will be implemented into a game anytime soon.

Rev

Arcane
Watching the video now, someone asked Josh his favourite companion and he said Durance (followed by Eder). :salute:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
0Pgok0p.png

Pillar's loading times are neither for the timid nor children, apparently.

Prime Junta

That is cool but attacks not interrupting is gay. It's annoying as fuck in Tranny to have a guy going ham on a mage while he just stand there spamming every cooldown.

Hmmm.

I would kind of like it if it was possible to intentionally use interrupts tactically. As in, when you see a caster starting to cast something nasty, do something to interrupt him relatively reliably. I would probably like this more than just making a build around interrupts, which just turns it into a substitute for Deflection (preventing melee attacks rather than deflecting them when made).

Mage duels would also get a lot more interesting if they could defend against interrupts and interrupt each other, i.e. the AI would use these abilities on your casters as well when you started casting.

So if this means that characters could pick a couple of per-encounter interrupt attacks (and some attack spells had interrupt baked in), and the interrupts were fairly reliable, then I'm cautiously in favour of this change.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah but limiting interrupts to a few interrupt-specific spells and abilities would require buffing their effect to be comparable to other CC abilities. At which point it becomes just another CC (like a silence) instead of its own mechanic.

Prime Junta

Yeah but limiting interrupts to a few interrupt-specific spells and abilities would require buffing their effect to be comparable to other CC abilities. At which point it becomes just another CC (like a silence) instead of its own mechanic.

Yeah, that could happen. If the interrupt abilities were mostly single-target though...?

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd like the ability to interrupt people actively, i.e. magic missile's other primary use in IE games, but for this to happen interrupts don't have to be sequestered into special interrupt abilities. When you ran out of magic missiles, you still looked for fast-casting spells/abilities with the highest chance to hit. I like the idea behind Lantry's ability to silence mages with his quill throw in that regard. Interrupts could still be a general property of attacks, but (1) actually work properly, which it rarely (never?) did across POE lifespan, and (2) have success rate actually have high variance, e.g. certain spells have very high interrupt % because they're Swarm of Flies or whatever.

Of course, the other thing they would need to fix is POE's awful visual clarity for animations/VFX (not to mention the lack of trademark casting sound alerts as in BG/2), because right now it's bloody hard to tell when to interrupt what.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom