Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Watched it, it's incredibly slow and unintuitive and that's with only three level 1 characters, none of whom is a caster. Imagine a full party even at 6th level, battles are going to take forever and you'd have to keep fidgeting the controller so that pseudo-cursor reaches the right spots, that radial menu doesn't help. Ugh.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Paradox are shit, and it was the worse thing obsidian could have done, to get in bed with them.

Their current price hiking shenanigans on steam, are just another point on a very long list of anti consumer dick moves.

Fuck them.

Rev

Arcane
My god, that gameplay looks really bad, it's even worse than I expected. Well done, Paradox Arctic. :lol:
They'll be lucky if this sells even as much as T:ToN.

pippin

The comments on that video are priceless (which refuses to load for me for some reason and I can't watch it) -

This game reminds me of Diablo/Baldurs Gate a lot, which I played the heck out of it. It's a shame that it isn't coming to the Swiitch given it would be nice just playing on the Couch, Bed etc...Definitely a good way to kill time while waiting...

I also agree it reminds me of diablo. I loved playing Hardcore mode in D2 and I am still playing hardcore in d3,

Diablo was used as a comparison for DivOS too. Sven had to avoid comparing it to U7 because people did not remember that game anymore, so he had to reluctantly compare it to BG.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They might edit down the trash mobs for the console release.

Probably not, but it is one of the things they have to consider given the complications posed by such an adaption.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Probably not, but it is one of the things they have to consider given the complications posed by such an adaption.

I think they did. Shouldn't there be 3 bandits in that first ambush?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

I think they did. Shouldn't there be 3 bandits in that first ambush?
Depends on difficulty, I think vid is story mode. Actually that fight is only two anyway iirc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, definitely low difficulty, not above normal. PotD would've been too much of a struggle and it wouldn't fit into 15ish minutes.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In fairness, consoles in the 2010s aren't the same thing in the 1980s.

PS4-Blue-Out-2.jpg

controle-nes-usb-joystick-nintendinho-D_NQ_NP_603221-MLB20750638408_062016-F.jpg

You got 3 direction controller, all of which double as action buttons as well as directional buttons, 4 "pause buttons", and four bumpers.

It's like 3x or 4x as many buttons/functions.

Fry

Arcane
Yeah, the problem is the cursor. Analog sticks are no substitute for a mouse for a game like this.

TC Jr

Scholar
Rtwp just doesn't work on consoles, tb is fine, I played divinity os on PS4 and it was fine, couldn't imagine trying to play a game like PoE with a controller though lol. I hope it does well though.

The only tb game I've had issues with on console was wasteland 2, I might need glasses but the text/UI was tiny.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The radial menu blocks the screen so you can't see what you've doing. Great design, PDX Arctic!

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Weird thread. Larian spend an entire year personally developing a console Enhanced Edition for D:OS after its release with a full-sized team and nobody except Roqua really gives a fuck. Now Obsidian are letting their publisher dump a third party console port on the market two and a half years after their game's release and people are biting their fingernails? Swen needs to teach the world his secret.

Good point. And I think there has to be at least one other person than me who cares. At least one. My online soulmate I have yet to meet.
i'd care if d:os wasn't already a crappy abomination of an rpg with its turn base + cooldowns and moronic spells like petrification that goes away after a few turns. to me d:os is already streamlined decline and anything it does in addition to that doesn't deserve any more butthurt.
as to poe... i don't care either. "balance" kind of broke it. you get a system that makes any class be viable with any combination of of stats and call that balance while everyone can equip a crossbow and shoot everything dead in the first round. where they don't have MMO cooldowns, they have MMO itemization with x% increases where the only difference between one weapon and another is how much more of the same thing it does.
this whole thread is a monument to the influx of newfags that want to fit in by pretending they are against streamlining of games that are already fucking streamlined.

Last edited:

Achilles

Arcane

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Weird thread. Larian spend an entire year personally developing a console Enhanced Edition for D:OS after its release with a full-sized team and nobody except Roqua really gives a fuck. Now Obsidian are letting their publisher dump a third party console port on the market two and a half years after their game's release and people are biting their fingernails? Swen needs to teach the world his secret.

Good point. And I think there has to be at least one other person than me who cares. At least one. My online soulmate I have yet to meet.
i'd care if d:os wasn't already a crappy abomination of an rpg with its turn base + cooldowns and moronic spells like petrification that goes away after a few turns. to me d:os is already streamlined decline and anything it does in addition to that doesn't deserve any more butthurt.
as to poe... i don't care either. "balance" kind of broke it. you get a system that makes any class be viable with any combination of of stats and call that balance while everyone can equip a crossbow and shoot everything dead in the first round. where they don't have MMO cooldowns, they have MMO itemization with x% increases where the only difference between one weapon and another is how much more of the same thing it does.
this whole thread is a monument to the influx of newfags that want to fit in by pretending they are against streamlining of games that are already fucking streamlined.

I don't understand. Are you saying every rpg that is turn based is shit? Or just the TB ones with CDs? Are you somehow trying to equate CDs with streamlining?

Reapa

Doom Preacher

I don't understand. Are you saying every rpg that is turn based is shit? Or just the TB ones with CDs? Are you somehow trying to equate CDs with streamlining?
just tb ones with cd. and i should mention i'd be okay with a spell taking several turns to get cast, but not with the mind of the wizard overheating for one spell and casting another one right away. can you dig that?
no, i'm not equating cds with streamlining. not on their own at least. but what is the point of cds? when you go through the mental gymnastics required to introduce cds in a game (the foot of that fighter overheats for kicking the enemy's face but can still kick his ass) what is pushing you to go through with it instead of letting that fighter kick enemy's faces every turn? i'd say it's a combination of paranoid focus on balance with being too lazy for encounter design. but then i ask myself, why not go for casting times instead of cool downs? because casting time would require real tactical planning. and you can't have players think while playing your crappy game or else they might give it a bad review. so, yes, i'm equating cool downs with streamlining, bitch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom