Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Weird thread. Larian spend an entire year personally developing a console Enhanced Edition for D:OS after its release with a full-sized team and nobody except Roqua really gives a fuck. Now Obsidian are letting their publisher dump a third party console port on the market two and a half years after their game's release and people are biting their fingernails? Swen needs to teach the world his secret.

Good point. And I think there has to be at least one other person than me who cares. At least one. My online soulmate I have yet to meet.
i'd care if d:os wasn't already a crappy abomination of an rpg with its turn base + cooldowns and moronic spells like petrification that goes away after a few turns. to me d:os is already streamlined decline and anything it does in addition to that doesn't deserve any more butthurt.
as to poe... i don't care either. "balance" kind of broke it. you get a system that makes any class be viable with any combination of of stats and call that balance while everyone can equip a crossbow and shoot everything dead in the first round. where they don't have MMO cooldowns, they have MMO itemization with x% increases where the only difference between one weapon and another is how much more of the same thing it does.
this whole thread is a monument to the influx of newfags that want to fit in by pretending they are against streamlining of games that are already fucking streamlined.

I don't understand. Are you saying every rpg that is turn based is shit? Or just the TB ones with CDs? Are you somehow trying to equate CDs with streamlining?
just tb ones with cd. and i should mention i'd be okay with a spell taking several turns to get cast, but not with the mind of the wizard overheating for one spell and casting another one right away. can you dig that?
no, i'm not equating cds with streamlining. not on their own at least. but what is the point of cds? when you go through the mental gymnastics required to introduce cds in a game (the foot of that fighter overheats for kicking the enemy's face but can still kick his ass) what is pushing you to go through with it instead of letting that fighter kick enemy's faces every turn? i'd say it's a combination of paranoid focus on balance with being too lazy for encounter design. but then i ask myself, why not go for casting times instead of cool downs? because casting time would require real tactical planning. and you can't have players think while playing your crappy game or else they might give it a bad review. so, yes, i'm equating cool downs with streamlining, bitch.

P&P systems have had cool downs of one form of another since the beginning. Look at limited spell slots and spell casts of D&D and AD&D (and all the rest of them). I guess they could have made level 9 spells take 9 turns to cast, and I think some actually take longer in some systems, like hours or days to cast. Or they could have made spells equal to melee damage so mages could use them every turn without limit, and remove all the component requirements and costs, etc. But I think the goal was to make magic spells powerful. And having a large opportunity cost by way of CDs is one of the ways.

I find it odd you don't complain about the real streamline issues or carebearing such as autohealing for free making potions useless, no down time, instant travel, saving during combat, way too OP crafting system, shitty chargen or chardev systems, way too easy combat, various "challenge levels" with the one the game was developed for being aimed at retarded people and no incentive to choose a higher difficulty because combat designed for retards does become good with some difficulty modifiers. Etc. D:OS and rpgs in general.

The best games, the cream of the crop, have no difficulty selection. The community has a shared experience and the stupids whine and the people with some sort of normal functioning brain win. Difficulty selection is the biggest and worst carebear feature ever invented. And just plain dumb for most games that are just completely and utterly devoid of challenge, such as the kotors and almost every other "rpg" designed for the console and now even the ones designed for the PC.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Josh's comments are too strong and direct for my cynicism to break through.

I'll back away from the ledge for now.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Weird thread. Larian spend an entire year personally developing a console Enhanced Edition for D:OS after its release with a full-sized team and nobody except Roqua really gives a fuck. Now Obsidian are letting their publisher dump a third party console port on the market two and a half years after their game's release and people are biting their fingernails? Swen needs to teach the world his secret.

Good point. And I think there has to be at least one other person than me who cares. At least one. My online soulmate I have yet to meet.
i'd care if d:os wasn't already a crappy abomination of an rpg with its turn base + cooldowns and moronic spells like petrification that goes away after a few turns. to me d:os is already streamlined decline and anything it does in addition to that doesn't deserve any more butthurt.
as to poe... i don't care either. "balance" kind of broke it. you get a system that makes any class be viable with any combination of of stats and call that balance while everyone can equip a crossbow and shoot everything dead in the first round. where they don't have MMO cooldowns, they have MMO itemization with x% increases where the only difference between one weapon and another is how much more of the same thing it does.
this whole thread is a monument to the influx of newfags that want to fit in by pretending they are against streamlining of games that are already fucking streamlined.

I don't understand. Are you saying every rpg that is turn based is shit? Or just the TB ones with CDs? Are you somehow trying to equate CDs with streamlining?
just tb ones with cd. and i should mention i'd be okay with a spell taking several turns to get cast, but not with the mind of the wizard overheating for one spell and casting another one right away. can you dig that?
no, i'm not equating cds with streamlining. not on their own at least. but what is the point of cds? when you go through the mental gymnastics required to introduce cds in a game (the foot of that fighter overheats for kicking the enemy's face but can still kick his ass) what is pushing you to go through with it instead of letting that fighter kick enemy's faces every turn? i'd say it's a combination of paranoid focus on balance with being too lazy for encounter design. but then i ask myself, why not go for casting times instead of cool downs? because casting time would require real tactical planning. and you can't have players think while playing your crappy game or else they might give it a bad review. so, yes, i'm equating cool downs with streamlining, bitch.

P&P systems have had cool downs of one form of another since the beginning. Look at limited spell slots and spell casts of D&D and AD&D (and all the rest of them). I guess they could have made level 9 spells take 9 turns to cast, and I think some actually take longer in some systems, like hours or days to cast. Or they could have made spells equal to melee damage so mages could use them every turn without limit, and remove all the component requirements and costs, etc. But I think the goal was to make magic spells powerful. And having a large opportunity cost by way of CDs is one of the ways.

I find it odd you don't complain about the real streamline issues or carebearing such as autohealing for free making potions useless, no down time, instant travel, saving during combat, way too OP crafting system, shitty chargen or chardev systems, way too easy combat, various "challenge levels" with the one the game was developed for being aimed at retarded people and no incentive to choose a higher difficulty because combat designed for retards doesn't become good with some difficulty modifiers. Etc. D:OS and rpgs in general.

The best games, the cream of the crop, have no difficulty selection. The community has a shared experience and the stupids whine and the people with some sort of normal functioning brain win. Difficulty selection is the biggest and worst carebear feature ever invented. And just plain dumb for most games that are just completely and utterly devoid of challenge, such as the kotors and almost every other "rpg" designed for the console and now even the ones designed for the PC.

auto healing - whatever, i don't even remember it. you could just as well complain magic makes healing potions useless, or not taking damage makes healing potions useless. i'm not the one to complain about useless stuff, since useless stuff will by its very nature not be central to anything, otherwise it wouldn't be useless. if you want useful potions, just like the rest of the itemization they have to be rare and powerful. since it's not a roguelike, i couldn't care less about generic healing potions. that's not to say auto healing is good. but i don't remember auto healing in combat and with all that magic you'd be able to heal outside of combat as often as you wanted since there were no cooldowns outside of combat.
no down time - no idea what that is...
instant travel - i'm fine with teleports in games with magic
saving during combat - i don't remember save scumming in combat my self. but if people do it, it doesn't affect me.
way too OP crafting system - hard to tell with the general bad itemization.
challenge levels - what challenge? the way combat works in D:OS there is no challenge. either you use everything you have every time it comes out of cooldown and it works, or the game is bugged. not to mention the game was linear as fuck. there was absolutely no thought put into any of it. you go from point a to point b and on the road you "fight" some linear fights since what you actually do in combat is just push the button when it blinks. like with WoW, just turn based which makes it the most moronic system ever. you can't have a fucking timing element in a game that has no time. do you see how everything else just pales in comparison with this???? of course i didn't mention anything else since there's just no point.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Rev

Arcane
I've said that the console version will be terrible and near unplayable with a pad, posting the gameplay video on ps4 and another one on PC to show the differences. Console peasants of course reacted by being extremely butthurt. :lol:
I don't even know why they care about it, since they didn't even know about PoE until three days ago and they never played this kind of RPGs either, but I guess they have to show how great their ps4 is by pretending to be interested about everything that comes on it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've said that the console version will be terrible and near unplayable with a pad, posting the gameplay video on ps4 and another one on PC to show the differences. Console peasants of course reacted by being extremely butthurt. :lol:
I don't even know why they care about it, since they didn't even know about PoE until three days ago and they never played this kind of RPGs either, but I guess they have to show how great their ps4 is by pretending to be interested about everything that comes on it.

you got a link, bruv?

Flou

Arbiter

Probably because there are bunch of people who actually want to play those games even on consoles and they get excited when something like PoE get announced for consoles and it turns out to be shit.
I know bunch of old school PC gamers who just got fed up with upgrading PC and having the computer take so much space and they bought a fucking console. I know, race traitors.

Rev

Arcane
you got a link, bruv?
I can provide it, but it's an Italian forum and I don't think many people here would understand it.

Probably because there are bunch of people who actually want to play those games even on consoles and they get excited when something like PoE get announced for consoles and it turns out to be shit.
I know bunch of old school PC gamers who just got fed up with upgrading PC and having the computer take so much space and they bought a fucking console. I know, race traitors.
Bring them back to the PC Master Race, we're tolerant fellas and can forgive even the heresy of becoming a peasant if they repent.
By the way, I don't understand that position since in the last years I feel it's become less and less important to upgrade the PC and you can make your hardware last quite a bit and still play the newest games (and PoE doesn't require powerful computers to run).

Reapa

Doom Preacher

i don't buy that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Upgrading them for what exactly? The only decent semi-AAA game that has come out in the last 5ish, maybe more, years is Dishonored 2. Old-school gamers yet tired of upgrading their PC (which means they play AAA shovelware) and get excited by RPGs on console sounds incredibly iffy to me.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter

Upgrading them for what exactly? The only decent semi-AAA game that has come out in the last 5ish, maybe more, years is Dishonored 2. Old-school gamers yet tired of upgrading their PC (which means they play AAA shovelware) and get excited by RPGs on console sounds incredibly iffy to me.

Old school gamers don't necessarily just play crpg's. That is the reason I got when I asked why they changed up to consoles.
Even though you don't have to upgrade as often as you used to, it still takes some time and effort do it, instead of just buying a console and the price of consoles a lot cheaper that the price for a PC.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Old school gamers don't necessarily just play crpg's.

Yeah, but everything else that is worth playing also doesn't require a bleeding edge graphics card or any similar hardware. It's also not on consoles, because duh. I can't imagine any old school gamer with a modicum of self-respect and self-awareness playing AAA shovelware to buy consoles for.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Old school gamers don't necessarily just play crpg's. That is the reason I got when I asked why they changed up to consoles.
Even though you don't have to upgrade as often as you used to, it still takes some time and effort do it, instead of just buying a console and the price of consoles a lot cheaper that the price for a PC.
your friends are console peasants. just admit it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Yeah, but everything else that is worth playing also doesn't require a bleeding edge graphics card or any similar hardware. It's also not on consoles, because duh. I can't imagine any old school gamer with a modicum of self-respect and self-awareness playing AAA shovelware to buy consoles for.

Not everyone thinks like those in the Codex do.

Hyperion

Arcane
"ENHANCED"

Yeah, because that shit did Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin 2 and countless others so many fucking favours.

To be fair, Divinity's EE problems had nothing to do with consoles, but with the shitty balancing act they pulled. In fact, it was worse than any complaints in regards to Sawyer and Co. with PoE's patches.

Plus, the cheese vendor. :outrage:

Lacrymas

Arcane
The EE's transgression was not fixing what was wrong, but adding superfluous trivialities that nobody wanted.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's why it was called 'Enhanced Edition', not 'Totally Overhauled Edition'

Eh, I don't think D:OS needs a complete overhaul. The writing can't be saved obviously (even though they tried lolololololololo), but changing crafting, removing random items and changing the way traits work were realistic goals. They tried to add challenge with Tactician, but it was still too easy.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Are you cucks seriously bitching about a controller? I actually like playing with a controller better than a mouse and keyboard. If they can make it work, I only hope they patch the PC version to allow for controller support as well.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Are you cucks seriously bitching about a controller? I actually like playing with a controller better than a mouse and keyboard. If they can make it work, I only hope they patch the PC version to allow for controller support as well.

The interface looks badly thought out; it's not just the mere presence of a controller.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

The interface looks badly thought out; it's not just the mere presence of a controller.
Well, if you aren't going to play it with a controller, then you have nothing to worry about. I'd like to try this out, though. I hate playing games with a mouse and keyboard.

Lacrymas

Arcane
>Plays CRPGs and is posting on a forum dedicated to them
>Hates mouse and keyboard

:abyssgazer:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
>Plays CRPGs and is posting on a forum dedicated to them
>Hates mouse and keyboard

:abyssgazer:
I like good PC games, but I do wish they all had real controller support, not that x-pad or whatever bullshit.

Also, I only post here on occasion. I don't subscribe to this forum's antics that get ridiculed all over the net like a fucking joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom